Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Bacon and Eggs - Not My Idea of Breakfast!!!!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Blood pudding and haggis. Mix them up for a nice treat. Breakfast, lunch or dinner.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Knowledge

why are you attempting to pretend that your `cookie cutter ` solition of what cositutes a " healthy " breakfast is somehow sutible / reccomended for every one all the time ???

now adays - i eat approximately your reccomendation of breakfast probaly 20 days a month

previously - i was either in the army , or working as an engineer - and " healthy snacks " simply did not cut it

i needed more calories at breakfast than i presntly consume on a typical day

i was ` fit as a butchers dog ` - because i was burning off calories faster than i ate

there is no ` one stop solution ` to diet - and demonising people because you disaprove of what theyeat is not going to get you converts

yes some people are fat sloths who should not eat a full plate of fried everything

but i still go climbing and caving occasionaly - and with a 4am start - nothing else supplies the required energy

typically i have

bacon
scrabled eggs
mushrooms
toast
sausage
beans

and a big plate full - washed down with coffe and orrage juice

that is supplemented by bannanas for the approach trek and mars bars underground

and after all that i am still starving and exhausted at the end of the trip - and have a big bowl of pasta with a rigch sause and MEAT to redress matters - all in all 7000+ calories in a single day - and i stay slim and trim because days like today - when i am at home all day - my intake is typically less than 1500 .

like i said - stop trying to claim that there is a one diet solution for everyone - and that bacon / eggs are automatically unhealthy

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Mr Knowledge, people eat what they like, you eat with Eule Gibbons and his pine cone pals and I'll eat whatever I can scrounge from the fridge before payday. I can't believe the things some people in the world eat either, but calling them simple minded for doing it isn't my idea of trying to change their minds or make them see I don't approve. Actually, it doesn't matter if I didn't approve, but I don't really care, let people eat what they want, what they can afford or what they can get a hold of. Also, as for your quote about the love of money....it is actually the "LOVE" of money that is the root of all evil, money itself is not evil....just saying.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MagicaRose

Gee this thread is growing nearly as much as my waistline!

Maybe it should be on BTS but who cares, a bit of light hearted relief is good, perhaps others should start treating it as such?

10 pages, 181 responses, who would have thought it?

Thanks for the link to Grits.
Sounds and looks pretty bland but what the hell, I'd give them a go.

More English local delicacies?
Here's some for starters.

Jellied Eels.
en.wikipedia.org...
A traditional Cockney dish.
Afficioniado's love it, I personnally find it disgusting!

Bubble 'N' Squeak
allrecipes.com...
All the left overs from a traditional Sunday lunch fried up together. Fantastic.

Pease Pudding.
en.wikipedia.org...
www.bobjude.co.uk...
Ham and Pease Pudding sandwich.
Have introduced many of my southern friends to this delicacy before a session on some fine English Bitter!

Pork Pies.
www.butchersdirect.co.uk...
Melton Mowbray is generally regarded as the home of the Pork Pie but Taylors own make from my hometown are definately the best.
Traditionally all sorts of crap went into Pork Pies, but I really like them, so, like British sausages and Black Pudding, I just don't think about it and enjoy.

Cornish Pasty's.
www.cornishpastyassociation.co.uk...
Another pastry dish.
Do not be put off by the poor quality of most of the bland products which try to pass off as the real thing; traditional Cornish Pasties are very, very nice.

Fish And Chips.
en.wikipedia.org...
Should be our national dish.
Nothing like getting fresh fish and chips from the seaside.

Chicken Masala
en.wikipedia.org...
Now the most common dish in Britain.
me, I prefer my rubies a bit spicier like Tikka Jalfrezi.

Sorry if gone off topic but I do like eating, nearly as much as drinking!
Now there would be a thread worth contributing to!

[edit on 7/8/08 by Freeborn]

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
It only makes sense that if you have health problems or high cholesterol not to eat certain foods. My family has been lucky in that the past 4 generations, no one has ever had problems with high cholesterol or high bp. We grew up on bacon and eggs. Eggs were fried in an inch of bacon grease. We used bacon grease for everything. Even had wilted salad which is hot bacon grease poured over lettuce with some vinegar and onion.

We don't necessarily avoid those types of foods now, but there's so many more foods out there that we were never exposed to, so we eat a variety of different foods now.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by iwant2believe1992

WOW! The misinformation on this thread is everywhere. Nutrition is probably the most misunderstood subject on these forums......

Skim milk and low-fat milk are not good for you....
www.diabetes-normalsugars.com...

Homogenization: This is the process whereby the fat particles of cream are strained through tiny pores under great pressure. The resulting fat particles are so small that they stay in suspension rather than rise to the top of the milk. This makes the fat and cholesterol more susceptible to rancidity and oxidation, and some research indicates that homogenized fats may contribute to heart disease.

Not only heart disease though. Obesity too. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine.

Conclusions Children who drank the most milk gained more weight, but the added calories appeared responsible. Contrary to our hypotheses, dietary calcium and skim and 1% milk were associated with weight gain, but dairy fat was not. Drinking large amounts of milk may provide excess energy to some children.

It's important for people to realize that dietary fat does translate to fatty tissue, or heart disease for that matter. High Fat does not necessarily equal Fat People. You can bank on that.

Whats with the egg bashing? I eat eggs almost everyday. Sometimes raw, sometimes scrambled and sometimes fried. Usually raw or scrambled though. Eggs are probably one the most nutritious foods you can put in your body. Let's take a look at why eggs and bacon have been given such a bad rep.

The biggest knock against eggs is high fat and cholesterol, mainly cholesterol. The biggest knock on bacon.......Fat. Which, allegedly, leads to high cholesterol.

I'll break that down for ya, since most of you can't do the research yourselves.

First of all, the fat in eggs is mainly unsaturated, which happens to be, according to nurtitionists, good fat. Less than 30% of the fat is saturated. Based on fat alone, eggs are great for you.

What about cholesterol? Well, they happen to be high in cholesterol but why is cholesterol and saturated fat so bad for us?

According to the experts, there is a direct correlation between dietary intake of saturated fat and cholesterol and the occurrence of Coronary Heart Disease. This is called the "Lipid Hypothesis."

One of the most popular studies cited in support of the Lipid Hypothesis is the Framingham Heart Study. Usually used as proof. However.....

From above link....

This study began in 1948 and involved some 6,000 people from the town of Framingham, Massachusetts. Two groups were compared at five-year intervals-those who consumed little cholesterol and saturated fat and those who consumed large amounts. After 40 years, the director of this study had to admit:

"In Framingham, Mass, the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person's serum cholesterol. . .

So, what does the real evidence suggest about cholesterol and saturated fat?

Does dietary saturated fat cause serum(blood) cholesterol levels to rise? Does dietary cholesterol cause serum cholesterol to rise?

NO

Neither dietary saturated fat nor dietary cholesterol raise serum cholesterol levels.

We found that the people who ate the most cholesterol, ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories, weighed the least and were the most physically active."3 The study did show that those who weighed more and had abnormally high blood cholesterol levels were slightly more at risk for future heart disease; but weight gain and cholesterol levels had an inverse correlation with fat and cholesterol intake in the diet.4

I'm telling you, there are plenty of myths and misinformation in this field. The sad thing is, believing a myth in this genre can kill you.

A survey of South Carolina adults found no correlation of blood cholesterol levels with "bad" dietary habits, such as use of red meat, animal fats, fried foods, butter, eggs, whole milk, bacon, sausage and cheese.10 A Medical Research Council survey showed that men eating butter ran half the risk of developing heart disease as those using margarine

This three page article should be read by EVERYONE. It busts the myths and provides really nutritional education that many in the very field of no nutrition are oblivious to.

In a multi-year British study involving several thousand men, half were asked to reduce saturated fat and cholesterol in their diets, to stop smoking and to increase the amounts of unsaturated oils such as margarine and vegetable oils.

After one year, those on the "good" diet had 100% more deaths than those on the "bad" diet, in spite of the fact that those men on the "bad" diet continued to smoke! But in describing the study, the author ignored these results in favor of the politically correct conclusion: "The implication for public health policy in the U.K. is that a preventive program such as we evaluated in this trial is probably effective. . . ."

The evidence is conclusive. Eggs and Bacon are not bad for you. They do not increase serum cholesterol. They do not promote heart disease, atherosclerosis, obesity and high cholesterol......

The only bad thing about bacon, that I can think of, is that if you fry it too long, the fat may oxidize, become rancid. Luckily though, saturated fat is very stable and stands up to high heat very well.

-Dev

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I see your point,I prefer sausage,hash browns and eggs,it's the American way lol,btw I'm not fat

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I had a grandparent that lived to 108 she ate bacon and eggs every morning (with ketchup on it) so honestly to the OP its either the ketchup or the bacon and eggs that made her live that long and when I say all she ate was bacon and eggs I mean she ate that for over 80 years and she lived to 108 so its either the ketchup or the bacon and eggs and honestly I take personal offense to your libel against bacon the most holy of the forgotten meats.
great post now whats the conspiracy against waffles

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
1. grits are the awesomness, a little butter and salt and im in heaven.

2. what someone consumes is his buisness and his only, barring the fact if hes a canibal or jst mentaly unstable that what he eats would damage said person.

3. this weekend my breakfast will consist of french toast, bacon, hashbrowns, oj, coffee and some basket eggs. YUM!

yeah i know im overweight by your standards, yes i know its bad for me (oh no cholesterol and actual real butter gasp), yes i hear you tooting your horn about your twigs and berries. but frankly my friend i dont give a d@ about your twigs and berries, i work hard for a living, im mobile and active, i work hard at my house, in the garden, in the garage and im gonna eat a nice hearty breakfast .

to call someone simple minded bc they eat what they want to eat and not what you want them to eat is kind of....wait for it.....here it comes......SIMPLE MINDED.

i work hard i play hard i eat hearty, stop worrying about what someone else eats and start worrying about what by product your nice organic meal comes with. you think all organic and fruit are safe? sadly mistaken my friend sadly mistaken.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I tell you what, OP, or anyone for that matter, you give me your idea of a better breakfast, that is, a healthier breakfast, and I'll pick it apart. Deal? Anyone????

Just throw something out there. Ready......GO!

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Fish and Chips was one of my all time favorite meals when i went to the UK. omg it tasted so much better than anything called F&C in the US.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

bowl of Capn crunch Crunch Berries 2 slices of butterd toast and a glass of OJ. oh that sounds good.

have fun

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   

There's a few things wrong with this so-called study. It failed to mention the actual foods the so-called "healthier" participants ate in place of their previously unhealthy diets. Also it failed to mention how many vegetables and fruits they ate as well. And I highly doubt they switch to vegetarian or vegan diets. This information is particularly important in such studies. You know devolutionEvolvd, you should do more in-depth studies before you start posting what you believe to be a wealth of information for nothing. (I didn't mean that in an insulting way). Nice try though.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Knowledge

I doubt you read the whole article. If you did though, please point out the discrepancies. Simply saying that fruit and vegetable consumption wasn't taking into consideration really is a weak argument. So go ahead, do what you must. I really don't know what you are arguing though.....

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostryder21

bowl of Capn crunch Crunch Berries 2 slices of butterd toast and a glass of OJ. oh that sounds good.

have fun

Ha....the only thing good there, other than taste, is the butter.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Who told you bacon and eggs is unhealthy? The mainstream media and the gods of allopathic medicine?? Go do some real research and you will find that cholesteral levels have not been proven to have jack # to do with clogging arteries or heart disease.

Some non-mainstream professionals argue that cholesterol is very healthy for you and that the refined carbs and chemicals and sedentary lifestyles are what is promoting heart disease and just about every other disease. Think about that next time you're pouring high fructose corn syrup on your white flour pancakes... sweet death. Give me family farm raised pork or eggs any day.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by 911fnord
I had a grandparent that lived to 108 she ate bacon and eggs every morning (with ketchup on it) so honestly to the OP its either the ketchup or the bacon and eggs that made her live that long and when I say all she ate was bacon and eggs I mean she ate that for over 80 years and she lived to 108 so its either the ketchup or the bacon and eggs and honestly I take personal offense to your libel against bacon the most holy of the forgotten meats.
great post now whats the conspiracy against waffles

The reason why she was a centenarian isn't really because what she did eat, it's probably because of what she didn't eat. Seeing that ALL she ate in the mornings was a good does of fat and protein leads me to believe she at a relatively low carb diet. This results in low insulin levels and we know that in smaller organisms, such as flies, if we control insulin levels, we can expand their lifespans. Pretty simple huh?

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Lets face it living is dangerous to your health. I for one would rather enjoy life from time to time rather than eat bee pollen etc ech and every day.

The key is moderation and some exersize. Its that easy really. I have some vegetarian friends whos health is no better or worse that an average meat eater.

Plus there is NOTHING that bacon cannot improve.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Starred!

Most vegetarians I know aren't really that healthy, mainly because they don't get enough protein. Plus they eat too many refined carbs whole grains.

Look, our fat consumption has steadily dropped while carbohydrate consumption has increased over the last 30 years or so and obesity, heart disease and all kinds of other chronic diseases are on the rise. Why is this not alarming?

It's really easy to eat healthy and enjoy great tasting food at every meal. It really is....

-Dev

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Congrats, ATS - a new low: breakfast as a topic. wow.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join