It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bacon and Eggs - Not My Idea of Breakfast!!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Can anyone explain to me why or even how bacon and eggs became such a popular breakfast food. Personally, I'd rather eat fresh blueberries, apples, a frozen fruit bar, raisin bread, or other healthy fruit-based foods. I mean after all, when I think about bacon and eggs, all I can think of is clogged arterties, quadruple by-pass surgery, digestive disorders, and other other wreaks of havoc on the human body. Can anyone explain to me why they would rather eat bacon and eggs other that they like the taste? I personally believe an answer like that only explains the weak, simplistic state of mind many Americans express on a regular basis, and a direct reflection our mindset/approach to health or lack thereof. Somebody please, humor me!!!!

Honestly, I am appalled by some of the responses I've been reading here so far. This confirms what I've believed all along. People would rather choose death over health all for the sake of defending their right to continue to eat fast (heart-attack) food. I bet that's why they call it fast food. The fast-cooked journey to a fast death.

UPDATE:

After slaving through all of the horrific responses I've receiving, I believe I've found the response I've been looking for. I credit sp00n1 for this. Looks like a man named Edward Bernays is the culprit responsible for mass brainwashing of millions starting with of all people, medical physicians, which doesn't surprise me. According to Source Watch:

In order to promote sales of bacon, for example, he conducted a survey of physicians and reported their recommendation that people eat hearty breakfasts. He sent the results of the survey to 5,000 physicians, along with publicity touting bacon and eggs as a hearty breakfast. www.sourcewatch.org...

Great job sp00n1. This is precisely what I was looking for--The mastermind responsible for ruining the American Breakfast. Edward Bernays is the culprit. How low of him to manipulate innocent, naive, yet incompetent physicians who probably had no idea what they were getting themselves into.

This explains it all. Looks like billions and billions really have been served. Thanks sp00n1

[edit on 8/6/2008 by Mr Knowledge]
Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/13/2008 by Gools]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Knowledge
I personally believe an answer like that only explains the weak, simplistic state of mind many Americans express on a regular basis, and a direct reflection our mindset or approach to health or lack thereof. Please humor me somebody!!!!

I eat those atleast 2 to 3 times a month along with fruits, vegitables, and cereals etc. I eat it all. I enjoy them with pancakes, waffles, and coffee.

I would never consider eating them everyday but once and while as a treat.
oh wait I'm simplistic!

I LIKEEE IT TASTES GOOOOD!

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
They eat it because they can. It's called freedom of choice. If you want to eat bacon and eggs and clog your arteries then that's your choice. Why do people smoke when they know it's bad? Or drink, do drugs? It's because they can and it is goooood!!
The bacon and eggs anyway. Not the smoke or drugs.

[edit on 8/6/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
There's actually a number of benefits to eggs, although it depends on your health. I believe eggs are good in moderation. Bacon, on the other hand, is a good way of clogging your arteries fast.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Can anyone explain to me why or even how bacon and eggs became such a popular breakfast food. Personally, I'd rather eat fresh blueberries, apples, a frozen fruit bar, raisin bread, or other healthy fruit-based foods. I mean after all, when I think about bacon and eggs, all I can think of is clogged arterties, quadruple by-pass surgery, digestive disorders, and other other wreaks of havoc on the human body. Can anyone explain to me why they would rather eat bacon and eggs other that they like the taste? I personally believe an answer like that only explains the weak, simplistic state of mind many Americans express on a regular basis, and a direct reflection our mindset/approach to health or lack thereof. Please humor me somebody!!!!

[edit on 8/6/2008 by Mr Knowledge]

I would say it started because that is typically what people had way back when. They didn't always have fresh fruit, they may not have had any at all. I don't know about the raisin bread, but if they didn't have grapes to dry out they didn't have that either. They most certainly didn't have frozen anything. Way back in the day, as in hundreds of years ago, they had whatever they could grow on their farm or whatever their servants could grow on their farm.

Eggs are plentiful if you have a few chickens, one pig can feed a family of four for quite awhile. You don't have to wait for the fall to get your chickens to lay eggs or for your pig to grow big enough to eat it if you need to. Back then people didn't worry about calories, fat, carbohydrates, etc. and they all grew up just fine.

I don't care much for eggs, but bacon does taste good.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I rarely have bacon and eggs for breakfast.

I am, however, having it for dinner tonight.

Why? Because I like it. We make toast and hashbrowned potatoes. It's a better dinner food than breakfast food. If I was a farmer and had to bust my keister from dawn to dusk, Bacon and eggs for breakfast would be more appropriate.
Oh, and that's where the poularity in America grew from, I would think. Farm-style breakfast.

I like fruit around breakfast myself. (Bananas rock!) Or cereal.

Cuhail

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Bacon (well done)
Fried eggs (yolk not too runny but not hard)
Baked beans.
Hash Browns.
Sausages.
Black Pudding.
Mushrooms.
Fried bread.
2 slices toast (must be white bread) with butter.
(I prefer mine with a bit of Brown Sauce but the uncultured prefer tomato ketchup, LOL)

Oh, nearly forgot, and a piping hot cup o'char!

Mmmm, beautiful.
Known as the Full English Breakfast, or FEB for short.

Shame no-one has the time or inclination to cook it nowadays and no-one sure as hell can afford to buy it on a regular basis anymore.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
People eat it because it tastes good and they don't care about it being unhealthy. I guess that's all there is to it. Plus its fast, and most people don't have much time in the morning these days!

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

you struck a chord in my heart right there free - I've moved to the us and i have a heck of a time finding black pudding anywhere - people turn up their nose in disgust when i ask about it at all the butchers i go to! Black pudding, black pudding, my kingdom for black pudding!!
i havent had a FEB for years now, at least..not a true FEB. i've have had a cut down version (minus black pudding, fried bread) with no brown sauce!! thats something else i miss!! a nice drop of daddies brown!

But i think it may have all stemmed from farmers - they would like a hot meal, the meat and eggs were plentiful and it didnt take long to cook - important for when they had to go and work the lands. thats just my 2p's worth though

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Well, I grew up with a vegetarian mother, so I only get bacon or eggs if I go out to a restaurant. Or, on occasion, I've convinced my friends to make some with me at their house.
I had bacon and eggs for lunch the other day, at someone elses house.
He made the whole package of bacon and we ate it all, and then I died from happyness.

IT
TASTES
GOOD

and thats why I like it.
Same reason I like chips, candy, ice cream, and all sorts of other foods.

But it's no good from the microwave....I made microwave bacon at a friend's house once, we ate it with corn chips as a snack. It was okay, but not yummy enough to go through the effort for again.

Then again, if I didn't have the metabolism I have, I probably wouldn't eat it whenever I get the chance, like I do now.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
im with the freedom of choice camp. personally, i dont eat breakfast period, but if i did, it would not include any sort of meat product, as they are just unappetizing to me.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Eggs are good for you, bacon can be a treat, let's say once a week. Fruits and grains, cheeses (cottage), yogurts. Learn and be selective of what you eat. But every now and then some bacon doesn't hurt.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Can anyone explain to me why or even how bacon and eggs became such a popular breakfast food.

Well, I like the taste. Otherwise, eggs are a nice, compact bit of protein that gives you a good LDL cholesterol boost. They're also easy to keep relatively fresh, and if you have chickens (like many people did and still do), you can get plenty of them all year round. Bacon, on the other hand, is also a good source of protein and minerals. If you live in a cold climate, the extra bit of fat found in bacon will help keep you warm. The high protein and fat content is actually a pretty good waking meal for people who have to go out and do manual labor on the cold weather. Like my dad had to do for 40 years on the railroad.

Of course, it's easy to be brainwashed into thinking that you're better off having a high carbohydrate meal for breakfast, and that animal fats are evil. That's the way the wind is blowing at the moment, even though the medical studies are still controversial.

The old "moderation" rule still applies. Mix it up. Get your fruits and veggies, but don't fear meat and fat. Human beings wouldn't have evolved the way we are today without meat and fat.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   

What? No Marmolet?
LOL.

English friend tries to get me to eat it. I told him that i would only do it if he would lick my dogs butt.

To the OP:

People traditionally don't eat fresh fruit for breakfast because it doesn't grow year 'round.

Remember, much of what you say "traditional" refers to a British-centric European view. In India, eggs are used in almost all meals, and rarely cooked "Over Medium" (how i like my eggs).

You should research it, kiddo. There are good answers about human culture and civilization in there that you can find along the way.

[edit on 6-8-2008 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
To those with a sedentary lifestyle this food on a daily basis could well end up becoming problematic. Those who weight train will a different story, the arachadonic acid content of both provide a sort of beneficial inflammation that has proven to enhance muscle mass. The protein is also very beneficial. Ultimately, simple carbs such as the toast you eat is also dangerous in the long term as they cause spikes in blood sugar which ultimately is the condition one would want to avoid if they shunned weight gain and/or diabetes.

Good rule of thumb is if a caveman didn't have access to it, then its probably not good for you.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Knowledge

it was cheap back then, fresh fruit wasnt always abundant and in big families you couldnt afford it

dont people read books?

for some reason "the jungle" comes to mind

eggs, bacon, cheap and easy and readily available throughout all the seasons

fruit is seasonal

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
*********DONT MESS WITH BACON************

I would eat bacon everyday if i could... Its great, and it goes with ANYTHING!!!!
I only eat about 1lb a week, only cuz i rush off to work everyday, and dont have time to cook a good breakfast....

Ive known farmers in upstate NY where i grew up that ate 1lb of bacon EVERYDAY for breakfast with 2 to 4 eggs, and then they worked the fields all day till dark, and they also smoked cigarettes, and lived to there upper 90's.
I know we are all diferent, but I dont beleive all the hoopla of healthy or unhealthy foods... EVERYTHING IN MODERATION .....

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Nobody has mentioned sausage, and ham or Biscuits and gravy

The whole eggs and bacon things though I agree has its past on the farm. Good old fashion breakfast to start the day right.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I feel for you my friend, I hear your pain.

No Daddies Sauce, surely you have relatives who can send you some, if not U2U me and I'll send you some over.
You can't be going through the business of educating out much valued colonial cousins (j/k!) without such necessaties.

No Black Pudding.
Unbelievable.
The only possible substitute could be White Pudding but I suspect that will be just as hard to come by.
I fear it will be a little harder arranging for a delivery of either of these.

What are the sausages like over there?
Nothing tastes like British sausages. (Probably because of the amount of utter rubbish we put into them but I try not to think of that!)

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaolin_dragon

you struck a chord in my heart right there free - I've moved to the us and i have a heck of a time finding black pudding anywhere - people turn up their nose in disgust when i ask about it at all the butchers i go to! Black pudding, black pudding, my kingdom for black pudding!!
i havent had a FEB for years now, at least..not a true FEB. i've have had a cut down version (minus black pudding, fried bread) with no brown sauce!! thats something else i miss!! a nice drop of daddies brown!

But i think it may have all stemmed from farmers - they would like a hot meal, the meat and eggs were plentiful and it didnt take long to cook - important for when they had to go and work the lands. thats just my 2p's worth though

Hello my friend,

Although im originally from Liverpool i now live in a little town called Bury just outside Manchester. Bury is the home of black pudding it is where it originated from. Believe it or not we have shops that just sell different types of black pudding and we even have a black pudding stall that serves black pudding to eat whilst your shopping.

Like the above poster who offered the Daddies id be quite happy to send you a bit of the old pudding depending where you was at. I have had it sent to myself when stationed abroad. Nothing like a bit of black pudding

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join