It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama supports the right to bear arms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I would like to point everyone to this article: www.guardian.co.uk...

A more serious source than the alarmists in the survival forums.

Barack Obama intensified his campaign to appeal to voters on the life-and-death issues of the American heartland yesterday by stepping away from his past support for gun control...

Althouh I personally disagree wth the benefits of rms for all, like Obama I realize that it is part of the Constitution and it must be respected. Because once the guns are prohibited, it leaves the gates open to rewrite it or get rid of it altogether like Bush and his Mcminions dream of.

Thats all.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Barak has intensified his campaign to appeal to voters. That is the key statement. He has NOT changed his stance on gun control. He is a professional politician doing what he thinks will get him elected. He will still go for a gun grab if elected.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
This is great. Now we can compare each one and thier history of voting!

Obama has voted antigun every time.

www.ontheissues.org...

McCain voted against the assualt weapons bill and the Brady bill. Neither one did anything to stop gun crime. In fact gun crime has gone steadily up since the bans were put in place, PROVING they were useless infringements on the rights of law abiding Americans.

www.ontheissues.org...

The People demand the right to keep and bear arms.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Good article on Obama's public (for election purposes only) and private (heart felt) views on the Second Amendment.

www.reason.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Define 'right to bear arms'.

He has also supported legislation that would ban ALL semi-automatic firearms in the country, which is far more restrictive than the old 'assault weapons ban' signed by Bill Clinton. This would include even the lowly .22 caliber rifles such as the Ruger 10/22 and Marlin 60. This alone, IMO, means that he is not a supporter of the 2nd amendment.

He also endorsed the Illinois handgun ban, supports limiting gun purchases to 1 per month and would effectively ban every gun shop in the US by making it illegal to operate one within 5 miles of a school or park.

No, he's no defender of gun rights. My guess is that his true position is much like most other Dem politicians; ban all rifle rounds and limit the selection of weapons to only single shots or very small 2-3 round magazine, with bolt, lever or pump action.

Sorry, that's not supporting the right to bear arms, IMO.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Seems like another flip. I hate pulling the flip flop card but Obama is doing at at a unprecedented rate.

I guarantee he has little to no intention on following through.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by CO Vet

That's pretty much my guess as to his true position. He supports the 2nd amendment, but only in a very watered down, restricted form and is probably one of those 'weapons of the 18th century' types.

I always wonder if those people would also support limiting free speech to only the communications methods available in the 18th century?

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle

Barack Obama intensified his campaign to appeal to voters on the life-and-death issues of the American heartland yesterday by stepping away from his past support for gun control...

This is nothing new. From the link I posted. He lies according to the votes he needs. Gun control is no different.

Obama voted for a bill in the Illinois senate that allowed retired law enforcement officers to carry concealed weapons. If there was any issue on which Obama rarely deviated, it was gun control. He was the most strident candidate when it came to enforcin and expanding gun control laws. So this vote jumped out as inconsistent.

When I queried him about the vote, he said, "I didn't find that [vote] surprising. I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry. This was a narrow exception in an exceptional circumstance where a retired police officer might find himself vulnerable as a consequence of the work he has previously done--and had been trained extensively in the proper use of firearms."

It wasn't until a few weeks later that another theory came forward about the uncharacteristic vote. Obama was battling with his GOP opponent to win the endorsement of the Fraternal Order of Police.
Source: From Promise to Power, by David Mendell, p.250-251 Aug 14, 2007

(bold text my own)

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
You have to look at his voting record on this and it shows that he does not support the right to bear arms. He has supported handgun bans. He may not be the worst there is, but to say that he supports the 2nd amendment is a huge stretch.

Fortunately, he won't be able to do much if anything on this issue. No one really has.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Obama will swing his views to get his votes then he'll "Change" the country to fit him and his minions best...

Do we vote for minion #1 or minion #2? Either way, this country is screwed, just depends on how long you want the screwing to take place before we're totally F'd.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   

We essentially have two realities, when it comes to guns, in this country. You've got the tradition of lawful gun ownership. It is very important for many Americans to be able to hunt, fish, take their kids out, teach them how to shoot. Then you've got the reality of 34 Chicago public school students who get shot down on the streets of Chicago.

source

Two realities- His and the 2nd amendment

Notice in this quote he fails to mention the most important reason- the right to protect yourself and your family.

Those 34 he talks about is tragic. But street thugs will always be able to get illegal guns. It isn't like law abiding citizens are giving it to them. Many are just out right stolen.

By the way, Bush helped Texas with the right to carry a concealed weapon.

And ol Dick isn't giving up his gun. He might need it to go hunting with Bush when they leave the White House._javascript:icon('
')
_javascript:icon('
')

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle
I would like to point everyone to this article: www.guardian.co.uk...

A more serious source than the alarmists in the survival forums.

Althouh I personally disagree wth the benefits of rms for all, like Obama I realize that it is part of the Constitution and it must be respected. Because once the guns are prohibited, it leaves the gates open to rewrite it or get rid of it altogether like Bush and his Mcminions dream of.

Thats all.

Three things come screaming out at me from this:

1. "Barack Obama intensified his campaign to appeal to voters" - meaning this is a temporary move

2. "by stepping away from his past support for gun control..." - meaning this is another flip-flop to add to his list and is a temporary move until he gets into office

3. If he was pro-guns then would it be reasonable to expect him to appoint Supreme Court justices who are as liberal as the four justices who recently voted against the right to bear arms and the second amendment? They clearly bought into the meaning of the second amendment as the military being the only ones having that right. If Obama is pro-gun, would he appoint two more liberals as justices who would vote the same way?

All you've managed to do is make Obama look really bad in several ways by posting this snippit.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
1- temporary? how so? he is making a compromise and giving p on the firearms issue. wrong assumption sir.

2-i again fail to understand your reasoning, where does it say its temporary, again you are only trying to guess.

3- He doesnt need to be pro gun. Bush is vehemently against the constitution as a whole that doesnt mean he can simply do what he wants with it, same applies to Obama or McCain.

And I am not working for Obama, if you believe my views hurt his imge I dont care.

[edit on 6-8-2008 by TheOracle]

new topics

top topics

join