It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In a modern society of tolerence should christians be prevented from becoming police officers, lawye

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Thank you for your valid response,

am I to deduce from this, that should you discover that should your immediate superiors, colleagues had converted to islam this would be of no concern to you?

If you were boarding a plane to NY could you honestly say that you would feel no less safe if you learned once seated, that your pilot and crew were islamic fundamentalists ?

please understand I'm not trying to mock you here but the discussion is I feel a little broader than I'd first implied.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
As a Christian, if I was in law enforcement (and I'm a woman!), I would only follow the law of the United states and Geneva convention.

Did you know the USA has opted out of the Geneva Convention?

Or at least that's what I'm hearing. (Can't find a definitive link).

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Ahh my friend. I guarantee you cannot offend me in this manner even IF you were to suddenly call me a jerk bag...or something to that effect :-p

On the contrary you've allowed a great dialogue for us

Ok...

Were my boss to suddenly convert I guarantee I would have absolutely no quams whatsoever.

Now onto the pilot thing. I would assume you mean these folks are not hijackers and in such a case, I would feel perfectly safe. If any member of any religion said they were going to take us into the Sears Tower then obviously I wouldn't feel safe but in this situation if they hadn't made clear they were a terrorist then I have nothing to worry about in my opinion

Thanks alot for the questions

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman
However if no one knocks my door, and I suddenly became your employer or doctor etc how comfortable would you feel ?

I would be rather displeased to say the least . The mustard cuts both ways .
Say that Christians weren't allowed to perform jury duty then how would a Christian get a fair trial ?
On a wider scale I support the separation of the church and the state .

The other extreme is that people could claim that you have to be religious to a job properly . With New Zealand being mostly the opposite of the US in terms of not being religious.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
In response to previous posts( which I have to say were polite and display a great degree of tolerence and grey matter) a recent social event has come to mind, which may have a baring on the topic of my original post.

Sorry if it's been covered before, I'm pretty new at posting and such.

Recently in the UK, with a great deal of media attention, a public employee took to court her employer, a council.

The employee was a clerk (or such) and involved in the marriages etc.

Basically the employee refused to do her job when a new law was introduced granting a same sex marriage (civil partnership) licence.

As the employee was a christian whose beliefs may or may not include homosexuals being an abomination and/ or / maybe / for some/ but not all/ alledgedly and used to be/ should be put to death (as you can see I'm treading on thin ice here trying to keep the discussion to the point without arguing like hell and getting nowhere)

The employee was effectively sacked for refusing to comply, and christians country wide went beserk in her defence. Equally the homosexual community went beserk when the christian sued the council for thousands and won the case.

Effectively the message to the public was, here is a person in a position of influence using her (to some people, totally imaginary) beliefs to condemn other people for the way they live their lives.

The human rights act allowed for the same sex marriage, the council complied, the christian refused to comply because of her belief and the courts (which one has to assume were christian) backed her.

I'm sure there are those who would jump on me right now claiming there's more to this story than I've sketched out, but this is my point.

The message clearly left to the UK public in the media circus that followed, is that it's ok to be a religious bigot.

However I do wonder (without evidence) whether there are some parties or machinations busily working away in dark corners delibrately manipulating situations like this to create civil unrest , for whatever reason.

Perhaps thats just the ATS coming out of me lol

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
It's always possible there is evil going on outside. I am frankly appalled at her behavior. I don't mind that she views homosexuality as wrong but this to me is an axtreme.

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

This in all probability is but the tip of the iceberg

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Absolutely. They should all be fired immediately, sue for religious discrimination, receive millions in their settlements, hopefully one will propose marriage to me, and we can all live our lives out on our own private islands.

Excellent idea, OP.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Sacking the clerk was the right call without question . People have take on the responsibility of either not taking a job that clashes with there beliefs or knowing when just to walk away and not cause a stink . If the person in question wants to use there demographic right to bash gays they have do it away from the work place .

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Thx for the input AshleyD it is so refrshing to her the whisper of the voice of reason through the throng of rightious screaming , when I get a million I'll give you a knock

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by KyoZero
It's always possible there is evil going on outside. I am frankly appalled at her behavior. I don't mind that she views homosexuality as wrong but this to me is an axtreme.

-Kyo

Isn't viewing homosexuality as wrong an extreme? given that the practice itself does not harm anyone how can it be wrong?

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Do we really have the right to bash anyone else?

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Do we really have the right to bash anyone else?

Someone doesn't have the right to discriminate against one beliefs , sexuality and race or commit an illegal act because they don't like some of the things already listed .

However if someone voices an opinion without committing discrimination then there isnt much you can do because you have an equal right to respond to such intolerance .

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Allow me to clarify as I will take the bump for this one. No homosexuality isn't wrong. What I am saying is I don't care if SHE thinks homosexuality is wrong. That is her perogative. What I failed to end with is that I think she can think however she likes but should never try to thrust her opinion on others.

Sorry for the missing sentence

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Thanks for the clarity , an I whole heartidly agree, it is such a shame that those that put themselves on pedelstalls and pulpits declaring their righteousness, could not come to this very sensible conclusion.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

I whole heartedly agree can I assme your not religious then ? as your reasoning appears to run contrary to many religious doctrines.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

I whole heartedly agree can I assme your not religious then ? as your reasoning appears to run contrary to many religious doctrines.

You are correct I am not religious in fact I am an Atheist .

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
posted in wrong thread, my bad.

[edit on 10-8-2008 by MosanoYun]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join