It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President of The World

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I hear some radio pundits decrying the "President of the World" stance that they feel Obama has taken.

I can understand their ire with this, as it is one of the main reasons I, and millions of others, will be voting for Obama this November.

The President of the US is, in effect, the President of the World. I've posted a few articles here to support my point.

Ayoon wa Azan (A Useful Lesson for the Americans)

If Bush's domestic and foreign policies had ruined the American economy alone, I could call this a useful lesson for Americans, on how to not choose an ignorant idiot for president next time. However, the US president is the president of the world as well. If the American economy sneezes or coughs, the world's economy catches a cold, and this is what has actually happened. The subprime mortgage crisis in the US has spilled over the rest of the world.

No. 44 has spoken

Anyone who saw Barack Obama at Berlin's Siegessäule on Thursday could recognize that this man will become the 44th president of the United States. He is more than ambitious -- he wants to lay claim to become the president of the world. So what sticks? That Barack Obama is a passionate politician who is fixated on -- and takes very seriously -- his desire for a better world.

Is Obama Trip New Precedent in Presidential Campaigning?

On a recent trip to Spain and France, I frequently heard in conversation and in televised political roundtables, and read in political magazines and newspaper commentary, that “the president of the United States is the president of the world”. This phrase was often associated with the passion many Europeans feel for the promise of Sen. Obama’s “change” campaign, and the view that if the United States elects an African-American president, it will transcend many of its historic ills and become an example of 21st-century democracy, and a renewed leader on human rights.

The key to the phrase was not Sen. Obama, however, but rather interest. People across the world are now genuinely interested in who leads the United States, in the campaign and election process, in the meaning of that election for the population of the broader world.

[edit on 6-8-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

President of the World, my arse

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

It's true though.. The president of the US is viewed as the President of the World by many.

I gave several links and quotes to support my position. Do you have any?

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I know this sounds silly, but only a american would think that lol.

[edit on 6-8-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I can see how many would be turned off by this notion, however, in many respects the decisions of President of the USA effect much of how the rest of the world functions. By no means is he some sort of dictator directing the world under his thumb (which I am sure you, Quazga, are not alluding to), but he is a very large player at least in the goings-ons of the worlds economy at least. What choices he and Congress come together to better our nation does reflect on other nations.

I believe that to become a better nation and world there definitely needs to be more interaction and communication through diplomacy than we have seen lately for whomever becomes the new President. Obama seems to be the guy for the job.

This may be a loose interpretation of the phrase, but that is how I see it.

I will stand back for the flames...

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Actually if you read those articles... none of them are American. So your statement is evidently incorrect.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by anyone

Anyone,
I think you make good points here. Economics is all about understanding how individual behaviors effect the whole of the system.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Actually if you read those articles... none of them are American. So your statement is evidently incorrect.

There are hundreds of countries out there, japan, china, russia, france, UK etc etc etc. I'm pretty sure they don't think america has controll over the world.

I'm from the UK, I never heard someone think this before.

Maybe some people like your article. But most would never think that or even want it.

Yes the president of the USA has GREAT power over the world, but in no way does he come close to president of the world.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Well the UK is a special case too.

As an American I used to think that the UK was Europe. But when I was in the UK recently I was told by many Brits that no, The UK is NOT Europe.

I think it has something to do with the importance of soverignty or something.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

As an American I used to think that the UK was Europe. But when I was in the UK recently I was told by many Brits that no, The UK is NOT Europe.

Hmm yes, I know what your trying to say about the president of the world, if we were to measure the president of the world by who has the most impact on the world it would probably be the president of the USA.

But what I'm saying is, there are hundreds of countries, many very powerful, all of them together becomes WAY WAY more powerful than the USA, meaning that if he ever wants to be president of the world, he has to get by them first, which is truly unlikely unless something amazing happens.

In my opinion...

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

This phrase, although something new to me, infuriates me just as much as the phrase "Leader of the free world" !

When was this bestowed and by whom and why has it become so popular to band around?

What would you think if another country took it upon themselves to use a phrase such as this, especially one that has not been elected or voted on the use of? Just as in this case!

I guess the NWO has already started and I must of missed it!

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Without completely agreeing to the OP.
I would think the last people to challenge the OP would be the Brittons who have consistently and dogmatically been following in the heels of US policy since WWII.
I think they call it their "special" relationship.
Economically as well.

[edit on 8/6/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by simon_alex0327

Simon, it doesn't have as much to do with someone claiming the title as it does with the reality of the global economy etc.

As one of the articles mentioned above "When the US Economy sneezes, smaller countries catch cold"

I'd agree that it would be arrogant to say something like that if it wasn't based in fact to some degree. My point is that I want a president who thinks globally and understands America's role and effect on the world (both positive and negative). And according to the articles I listed, it appears that many around the world feel the same way about America. The fact that we need a leader who understands and holds great respect for our effect on the world.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Please don't identify me as a country, I'm a person.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

Then the phrase still sounds arrogant.
No one likes to be dictated to no matter of their size or importance.

Its the world after all, with global ecconomies etc. We should all get along like good boys and girls.

Can you not see that there should not be talk of "My guns bigger than yours"? Otherwise people are going to irritated before anything can be sorted/settled.

Just my thoughts and maybe im just too idealistic.

[edit on 6-8-2008 by simon_alex0327]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by simon_alex0327
reply to post by Quazga

Then the phrase still sounds arrogant.
No one likes to be dictated to no matter of their size or importance.

Its the world after all, with global ecconomies etc. We should all get along like good boys and girls.

Can you not see that there should not be talk of "My guns bigger than yours"? Otherwise people are going to irritated before anything can be sorted/settled.

Just my thoughts and maybe im just too idealistic.

[edit on 6-8-2008 by simon_alex0327]

You are still talking about something else though. I am not talking about dictating to the world, as GB has attempted. I am talking about a President who understands the repercussions of being president of the US and it's effects on the world.

I'm also talking about a president who understands what kind of role model the world "needs" in times like this.

We currently have zero accountability in the Whitehouse, and I think that sends a huge negative message to the world at large.

Once again, no one is talking about dictating... we are talking about being aware of the realities of the effect of America on the World at large.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

reply to post by Wotan

It's true though.. The president of the US is viewed as the President of the World by many.

I gave several links and quotes to support my position. Do you have any?

By many who?

Most NORMAL people would not view the US President as the President of the World. Its arrogance once again on the US's part that is leading to this assumption. No wonder most of the world hates the US.

I agree that not so long ago the US economy influenced the world a great deal, but I wouldnt say that is was so important nowadays. The dollar is on the wane and the Euro is on the rise.

I personally could not give a Monkeys Toss what the US President and the US does as long as I am not dragged into anything they do. He can stay his side of the pond and I will stay on my side.

BTW, I am NOT European, I am English ....... There is a big difference.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

Yeah, If you have been reading, you will see that I said that...

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I agree! I really do.
But, with accountability dwindling at home as you stated... I think respect across the world is dwindling fast also.

Economies the whole world over are in the pan right now and its not going to get better soon. GWB certainly has not helped matters in the worlds eye of the USA. If one of the other countries that are begining to make a mark on the worlds economies, through no fault of anyone, outshines the US, then what?
Would the US accept a new role model??

A figure head or whatever they are is setting themselves up for a heavy fall if they think they can be the role model to the world.

Just my opinion... and now im late putting my meatloaf in the oven!

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It is a highly charged phrase that is bound to be flamed.

Quazga, were you maybe looking for a rumble?

Good luck!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join