It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When was 'rape' downgraded to sexual assault?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I've noticed a trend in MSM to replace the term 'rape' with 'sexual assault.'

It makes me angry when they do this. Assault is a general term used to discribe violence, from minor scuffles to attacks with weapons. While rape often includes acts of violence, the core of the crime is the forcing of unwanted sexual intercourse, and I believe that should be defined accordingly, not lumped into a general class of violent crimes. I think it may actually increase the instances of rape since those who might commit it could lessen the impact of the crime in their minds by thinking of it as an assault instead of a rape.

Then the other side of this is that minor sexual crimes may be inflated. For example, a breast-grabber in an office is irritating and offensive, and probably deserves to be fired, but that is NOT the same as raping someone.

I don't know if MSM is doing this with anything more than political correctness in mind, but I still think it is a policy that should be questioned.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
My understanding is it's more to keep as much respect and dignity, as well as protect the privacy, of the victimes. Especially if they're children.

By reporting that the 8 year old girl was raped, ellicts a much stronger emotion, and is directly implying that a man penetrated the girl (I apologize if this is sounds offensive, but it is what it is).

By reporting that the 8 year old girl was sexually assaulted, no one would know specifically what happened to her. She could of been raped, could of been groped, could of been forced sodomy, etc etc.

I think the term is just being used more as a general category instead of specifing what happened to the victim. I know if *I* were raped, I'd much rather it be reported out as a 'sexual assault' instead of a 'rape'. Only the people who need to know, need to know what exactly happened (the authorities, close family, etc).

Does that make sense?

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sage08 I know if *I* were raped, I'd much rather it be reported out as a 'sexual assault' instead of a 'rape'. Only the people who need to know, need to know what exactly happened (the authorities, close family, etc).

Does that make sense?

I see what you're saying, but I would feel the other way, I think. If there was forced penetration, I wouldn't want to try to hide that. I think I would WANT to have the generalities of the act, though not the details, made public.

I think part of the pathology is making the victim feel ashamed of what has happened. I suppose that's why a lot of victims don't come forwards.

I might not be able to prevent someone from takeing advantage of me, but I would be able to spill the beans on what he did, possibly who he was.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
First of all, an sexual assault, rape and sexual abuse are unforgivable acts.

If i had my way we would chemically castrate convicted rapists and take away any freedoms that they may have for the rest of their life.

However, I believe that the tendency these days to 'downgrade' its terminology stems from the fact that there are less and less convictions of rape (at least in the UK). Don't forget that there are people out there who falsely accuse rape for a number of reasons and in my opinion these people disgust me as much as the actual rapist.

There are 3 general terms:

Rape - unconsented, forced and often brutal sexual intercourse, non gender specific. (most often involving an act of penetration).

Sexual Assault - the unwarranted touching / grabbing of personal body areas often followed or preceded by an actual assault. May not actually involve intercourse.

Sexual Abuse - The carrying out of acts on those that are not in a position to give consent and under duress. Often the acts are prolonged or longer term than rape or sexual assault. (i.e. children or the elderly / infirm).

Rape is generally a one off act against a person unknown to the victim as is sexual assault. Sexual abuse is in most cases carried out by someone that is know to the victim and in a position of trust / power.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

I see what you're saying, but I would feel the other way, I think. If there was forced penetration, I wouldn't want to try to hide that. I think I would WANT to have the generalities of the act, though not the details, made public.

I think part of the pathology is making the victim feel ashamed of what has happened. I suppose that's why a lot of victims don't come forwards.

I might not be able to prevent someone from takeing advantage of me, but I would be able to spill the beans on what he did, possibly who he was.

I agree with you on that point that I would want it known, but keep in mind a high number of rapes and assaults aren't reported because the victim is embarressed, ashamed, or doesn't want anyone to know. As long as the Judge, Jurors, lawyers and doctors know exactly what happened, I think it's fair to the victim to report out to the press or anyone that doesn't -need- to know that it was just a 'sexual assault'.... At least for the victims sake.

I don't think it's a concious effort to downgrade or trivialize the horrible crime it is, but just to mitigate the emotional damage and public embarressment as much as possible...

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

This must be more of an American thing because I still hear rape being said on the news. Like the previous poster said, they might just be using euphemisms because in your guys PC society no one is allowed to get offended. It's no different than changing "mercenaries" to "Private military contractors" or "POW'S" to "enemy combatants."

Social conditioning my friend.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Not to turn this subject in to a joke, but George Carlin did a bit on Soft Language and mentions rape.

I think its a politically correct trend meant to censor "derogatory" terms from the masses. We all apparently need our minds flushed of any uncomfortable thoughts, so our loving government is going to handle it for us.

And the masses follow along and even form groups to push it further. They get offended when a derogatory word, as defined and determined by them, is mentioned anywhere. They get outraged and complain endlessly. They don't realize their outrage is manufactured and isn't even their own true thoughts.

Everyone wants this perfect, clean society where the "bad" stuff can't inconvenience their miserable lives. They can't face the facts that its just a part of having a society. They'd rather change natural law and eliminate anything they deem unsatisfactory.

Its like we've reverted back to being a damn child. We have to close our eyes, cover our ears and tell on anyone who says a mean word.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Well my last post was deleted I was not making light of the subject I agreed with the post I was making a statement along the lines that the downgrading of such wording was rediculous.

I'm sorry if I offened anyone thanks

SLAY

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I understood what you were implying, but I can also see how others thought you were just making a joke in ill taste.

top topics

join