It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organic and Natural Foods: A scam?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Hello. This is my first start of a thread. Along my way in life, I have talked to some people about organic and natural foods. Those some said it seemed like a scam from those particular companies to jack up the prices of the organic and natural commodities. Yes I understand it is supposedly harder to produce but I want to hear the reasons from these people. My question is for all of you out there who think it is a scam to tell me your reason why. Lets discuss and inform. If not thread may die.

Okay thanks

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

Welcome aboard.

As a general guideline, it isn't necessary to solicit replies and posts. If the thread generates interest great, if not it dies. Believe me when I say that every one here has had plenty of the latter, even mods. It's nothing to get insecure about. You can drive yoursef crazy refreshing the "recent posts" page looking for a reply to your thread.

Having said that, the requirements for the word "natural" are a lot less stringent than for "organic". As a result many things are labeled natural in order to give the impression that they are organic to an uninformed consumer. It's more misleading than a scam.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
You are right about the misleading.

Originally, I was refering more to the whole idea of organic and whether the extra costs are really saving your life (which I believe they do), or are they just milking money out of ignorant consumers. Personally, I choose the former, but my question was directed towards those who have chosen not to buy and therefore eat organic foods, solely because they are thinking it is a scam. Or worse, because it tastes "differently".

[edit on 5-8-2008 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Yes Organic food is a scam. Whilst "All naturally" grown food is slightly better for you, we have the medical expertise to treat any problems caused by having pesticides and fertiliser traces in our food. Also organic regulations are much less stringent than people think, for example, here in the UK a fertiliser containing an oxide of copper CAN be used and the food still called organic. Added to this is the problem of organic food having 3 times lower yields than non-organic, not good with world population sprialing out of control.

(Though as a son of a non-organic farmer I am very biased)

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Whilst "All naturally" grown food is slightly better for you, we have the medical expertise to treat any problems caused by having pesticides and fertiliser traces in our food.

Well. I do not know what to say except for that who wants even tarces of harmful chemicals entering our bodies? I would assume no one but I must be incorrect. As a side note, I guess USDA organic foods cannot be perfect. I think the percentages I saw last were 95%. Wikipedia

Added to this is the problem of organic food having 3 times lower yields than non-organic, not good with world population sprialing out of control.

I would have to agree with you here but there must be another way, a solution that does not mean jeopardizing our health. When the solution comes to me, I will post a new thread.

top topics

join