It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Queries about ART

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I have a question related to a certain 19th century painting, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with any sort of conspiracies and such (although the painting itself - NOT my query - does have political relevance).
Is there a place on ATS where I could post it?
(I did search BTS, but there seems to be no place for the classic visual arts; and posting it in general "chit-chit" areas would probably be a waste of time - and bandwidth - because the odds of someone with the knowledge to reply would be even slimmer than in other, more visited areas.)

If there isn't... no big deal.

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I see...

OK, let me put it this way: is there anyone here who is thoroughly familiar with the work of Isak Levitan- and, preferably, with Russia?

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
If it's not related to conspiracies or anything, maybe an art website would be more helpful? Not trying to be rude, but if the question is about the painting itself you would find a much better expert somewhere like that.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Yarcofin

Oh, it's a perfectly reasonable suggestion.

But why do you think I am NOT posting it there?
Because there is no such "there".

You see, art historians tend to be notoriously asocial...

Oh yes, there are e-groups with special interests (although I don't remember any relevant e-group right now), but I don't really want to join a group about Russian 19th century painting (even if there is one) just to ask a single question - especially knowing that those who are art historians ONLY tend to have a very narrow view of the world.

It's difficult to explain to anyone who hasn't seen their "world" from the inside, so... let's leave it at that.

P.S. Considering that there are sections about (totally unconspiratorial) topics on BTS, including literature, video and TV, "member art" etc., it might be a good idea to add a rubric "visual arts".

[edit on 6-8-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Can you post some of his work?
Never heard of the guy, what about him?

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
This is the painting I believe you're referring to;

googling with Isak will get next to nothing, so I suggest using Isaak Levitan instead.

IMO, art is universal and any interest shown by members can be discussed in BTS Member Art. That forum can use a shot in the arm, imho.

link to Member Art forum

[edit on 6/8/08 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Thanks, all - you're very kind.

I am, of course, familiar with Levitan's work myself.
But I was hoping - knowing it would be a very long shot - that somebody could tell me a thing or two about the exact geographical spot depicted in one of his best works (in my opinion), the famous painting called "Vladimirka".
(It's a wonderful painting, one of my favourites by Levitan. If anyone is interested in it, make sure to read about the emotional and political significance of the image.)

What a surreptitious way of posting a question, eh...?

(But it wasn't intentional, believe me.)

And thanks, Masqua, for the link!
(I didn't post it there because I assumed - judging by the title of the forum - that it was about art work BY members.)

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas
(I didn't post it there because I assumed - judging by the title of the forum - that it was about art work BY members.)

In a way, you'd be right that the forum is dedicated to work produced by member artists, but that view would be very narrow and confining.

What is 'member art'? Does it connect with any other art which exists beyond the member, whether they realize it or not? Is the member able to show those connections if they did?

If I told you that I found Rudolf Bikkers artwork to be the foundation of my own attempts, then would it not be allowable to show those comparisons by highlighting Bikkers??

If a member artist wished to focus on a famous Russian painter and ask for information (as you just did), then why should it be excluded? It shouldn't, imo.

Also, if a non-artistic member wanted to query a group of artists on a related subject, what better place to do so than a forum created exclusively for 'member artists'?

On a final note, I'm a firm believer in the idea that important art comes through artists, not from them. It comes from inside and yet also outside of us. (I'm sure symbols and archetypes ring bells for you)

Great art (to me, anyways) provides meaning to life by exposing every facet of our existence, whether it is an internal or external landscape which is being presented. For that reason, ALL art provides fair topics for 'Member Artists' and should not be restricted by anything other than the Terms and Conditions of this website.

I wish more members would explore the creative arts... it really IS an important part of us all, but one which is sadly pushed to the background in a materialistically-driven society.

sp.

[edit on 6/8/08 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

Is this it?

The Vladimirka road is the road taken by the exiles to reach Siberia. Levitan was probably making reference to his own exile, which occurred in the same period. Like many political prisoners, he had been evicted from Moscow because he was Jewish, and this experience would leave a profound mark on the painter's soul. The sky and the fields are all part of the symbolic message that Levitan wants to render through his painting.

from
here

Since the subject of the painting is the road to Siberia that exiles took, perhaps there is a 'conspiratorial' connection to the painting, or political....so it might well go in one of the related forums??

[edit on 7-8-2008 by frayed1]

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I couldn't agree more with the opinions expressed in your post, Masqua - both regarding the "Member Art" area (although I wouldn't have wanted to "break" the "rules", implied by the title of the forum without having a discussion like this first
), and the essence of art.

I hadn't hoped to have such a refreshing bit of "conversation" here, about things that matter so much. (The quotation marks refer to the fact that this is not really a reply - too early and too hot for that, I am afraid - so there is no real conversation, unless one counts the unexpressed thoughts your post triggered in me.)

I wish I were at home, so I could indulge in a lengthier thinking/writing process right now, but I am not; and I can't.
I may return, though.

Thank you very much indeed for your thoughtful - and thought-provoking - reply.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by frayed1

Yes, it is, Frayed.
The colours are a bit off in that particular JPG (as in many other reproduced images, as you can imagine), but it is still a very beautiful, haunting picture.

And I do appreciate your cunning thought about the "conspiracy" connection!

However, I only wanted to know whether anyone knows where exactly, at which spot, was Levitan standing when he depicted it.
(And if someone could actually provide a photo of that same spot today - it's somewhere along the M7 highway, I imagine - my cup would run over... :-))

Incidentally, and seeing that you took care to read about the "Vladimirka", there is a spot near Moscow called Gorenki (I think), whence the relatives of the convicts being led to Siberia could get one last glimpse of their captive loved ones as they walked - in shackles - along the "Vladimirka". (They tell me the name of the place is derived from a word that means "woe".)

Think of that ancient road as an "artery" of the heart blood of Russia.
(And Levitan, being Jewish - not a good thing in "old Russia" - had very personal reasons for choosing that subject.)

Finally, two days ago there was a lovely little piece of synchronicity for me concerning the "Vladimirka".
I was already preoccupied with this subject (looking for a present day photo of the location) when I visited ATS.
I went to my profile - I tend to forget what I have been talking about
- and BY MISTAKE (?) I clicked on a post within a thread that I wasn't intending to visit at all ("The amazing Vanga's predictions"). I saw a message that hadn't been there the last time I visited the thread - and the first thing I read were the words "but the glory of Vladimir" (= regarding Russia)... which I believe refer to the famous icon called Our Lady of Vladimir. That icon had also - and most famously - travelled along the "Vladimirka" road.

But now I am just chit-chatting...

top topics

join