It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video games can't be blamed for humanity's problems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Video games can't be blamed for humanity's problems

news.cnet.com

Sorry, but I refuse to believe that video games can be the scapegoat for all of our problems. Call me a video game apologist or just another gamer hack, but it's true. Why should the video game industry be blamed for the problems all of humanity faces?
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Grand Theft Auto sales halted after Thai taxi killing

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I absolutely agree with this article, our society is searching and yearning for a scapegoat. The media has decided that gaming is 'it', the root of all violence issues.

My honest opinion is that our morality is decreasing rapidly and we are constantly being desensitized through the media with the multitude of images thrown at us from all military conflicts around the world.

If the leaders of this world are outwardly perpetrating these worldly conflicts, wars and murders do you think that eventually this is going to rub off on the masses?

People look towards leaders for guidance.

news.cnet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I was easily sucked into grand theft auto (3) (great game
) when it first came out. The ex and I (while married of course) would play for hours after we put boys down for bed. I remember going grocery shopping after our first week of being obsessed w/ the game and I could *almost* imagine myself pulling someone out of their vehicle and taking their car..... or just zooming past others on the highway including cops.

Now, although I exercised self control, these urges were not the norm for me and not something I had ever experienced before. In light of that, I do believe that allowing children to play these games non stop can attribute to the violence that we see. This is a big deal for me to say, mind you, as I have always been against that notion..... But the fact remains that I did experience these abnormal urges after playing the video game.

Still, I do not feel that banning video games is the answer. Hell, I LOVE to play these games (when I get the rare chance) and would hate to see them off the shelves simply bc parents use them as babysitters and/or ppl can't understand the difference btw acting out in a video game as opposed to acting out in the public arena.

[edit on 5-8-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

now that you mention it, 4-5 years ago, my friends and i would have halo lan parties. we would order pizza and what not, play halo for hours. i still remember driving home afterwards thinking their were snipers on the hill, its a strange feeling.

i like playing games also when i get the chance, i dont get the chance to play like i used too. nothing wrong with playing videogames, but there should be a limit.

video games do come with warnings, but as usual they are ignored.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
online mmorpg's and fps

are addicting as heck

look quite a few kid's have died from playing world of warcraft to much.

there needs to be laws to limit how much time you can play before server time's you out..so you have to take a break.

new topics

top topics

join