It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon Base and Humans to Mars.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I was just wondering: Is it possible that President Bush is just saying all of this for the 2004 elections? I mean for all we know, when along comes 2015 he may not even care about it. Both of those projects combined only cost about 15.8 Billion Dollars, we spent more thatn 4x that amount on re-builing Iraq. Give me your opinions. What do you think would happen if we gave 85.5 Billion to NASA's Aerospace engineering? We'd be in Alpha Centauri and Sirius with a Century! Give me you opinions.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
if they got this amount of money the problem is will they spent it well on good project you still have to give specifics of what you want people doing with it. otherwise it won't work.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
that is blatently the reason he is saying it. he just wants another few years as president

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hydralisk58

What do you think would happen if we gave 85.5 Billion to NASA's Aerospace engineering? We'd be in Alpha Centauri and Sirius with a Century! Give me you opinions.

Only if we have or can develop technology that is a quantum leap from what we currently have (or we are TOLD that we have:mad
, and possibly new paradigms in physics...otherwise, interstellar travel will remain a pipe dream unless we want to make generation ships of some sort - the travel times are just too long...JMHO...

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   

What do you think would happen if we gave 85.5 Billion to NASA's Aerospace engineering? We'd be in Alpha Centauri and Sirius with a Century! Give me you opinions.

I dont know about that but I would go with bases on the moon and maybe Mars too and one hell of a leap forward in space tech.

[Edited on 14-3-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I am for every way brining space to the human race maybe than I can get away from this place where we still are living in a religious middle age.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Read Deception Point by Dan Brown. Good book. Deals with a topic much like this, very interesting to read with whats going on now.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I already posted this topic.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
b

[edit on 2004-7-1 by Teknik]

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Bush is only pushing the public space program, NASA, to desensatize the American public so he can restart daddy's Star Wars. With that he can sell more fuel and fill the pockets of his defense contractor buddies. Most of that money will be spent on fuel and friends, not new technology or research. If he really wanted to get to Mars he would have offered more grants to independent research and commercial ventures like the Xprize. His Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld, chaired the The Commission to Assess United States National Security Space Management and Organization, until his appointment (at which point he resigned), and released its 69-page executive summary on January 11, 2001. The Commission examined space-related national security issues, as the Wall Street Journal explained it, "what's at stake and what it will take to ensure that the U.S. remains pre-eminent." But the reality is that this report, like the first Rumsfeld report, is about shaping congressional opinion to favor even more money for an already bloated military budget. Claiming the US is at risk of a "space Pearl Harbor," the report makes a number of recommendations - ranging from the need to develop new technologies to defend US space assets, to ensuring the US can deploy weapons in space, and potentially forming a Space Corps within the Air Force. Go to worldpolicy.org... for the full story.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSpallacus
that is blatently the reason he is saying it. he just wants another few years as president

EXACTLY! All he cares is about winning the elction. But probably wants to do whatever he said he'll so with smaking a base on the moon, and sending a human to Mars just to get into the record books, more money, and a higer ranking.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
but what if not. currently nasa is allready adepting and changing its organisation. and a commision has been put in place. not every body is for space and it can not be a part of his re election. as long these plans are being forfilled I am happy no matter if bush is reelected or someone else willing to put us back on the moon and (re)connecct us with our brothers and sisters in space.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I'm not going to speculate that the only reason the GW want's to do this is to help him get re-elected. No doubt he most of what he does is to get re-elected like most elected officials. I think he's doing it for other gains such as commercialization, militarization of space etc.

If we don't do it someone else like China will, and we will be left on the sidelines of new technologys & related breakthroughs that will result from this.

The other long term consideration is the fact that someday the earth will no longer support our species, whether that's from the burn out of the sun or something unknown sooner, taking baby steps now will help ensure the survival of our species.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 02:01 AM
link   
If someone could make space exporation a global effort with all interested countries putting in something it could be done so easily.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hydralisk58
I mean for all we know, when along comes 2015 he may not even care about it.

Well of course he wont. Whether he wins the next election or not he wont be President when this date comes anyway so who cares what he thinks then?

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Who cares if Bush is only doing this to win an election- Just so long as he actually does it. If he does actually do it, it will be bloody amazing. Think about it: a politician keeping a promise, and something worthwhile as # accomplished to boot. What a wonderful world. I really think it would redeem him for all the # he has pulled. of course, if he doesn't do it, i say we impeach the #.

Cas

new topics

top topics

join