It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Point to head, press button, extra range.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I searched on ATS to see if this has been addressed before and I don't think it has.

Apparently, if you point your car key upwards against your chin, and press the alarm button on it simultaneously it increases the range of the remote by 100ft.

I saw it on "the closer" last night and did a little search on the interwebs and this urban legend seems to be true.

Has anyone tried this?
Would it work with any remote?
And for the scientists on ATS, why would a head amplify any signal?

Thanks

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
when I was a kid I used to get a bigger range for my radio controlled cars by holding the antenna of the transmitter against a lightpole.

It drained the batteries a bit more though but was worth it.

And since out bodies are mainly water/carbon we could indeed ourself amplify transmissions.

[edit on 5-8-2008 by Grey Magic]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

I would imagine a metal object would work great with a radio.
But with one's head?
Maybe if you have a metal plate.
Maybe someone can go outside and test this theory. My clicker is out of batteries.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Hm, never knew that! Thanks for sharing.

I might need it someday, you never know.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monsterenergy791
Hm, never knew that! Thanks for sharing.
I might need it someday, you never know.

Wait a minute M,
We haven't verified this yet, so all I can say is that it might work.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Apparently the scull acts like a parabolic antenna.

I also found this explanation on another board:

This is an odd effect.

Antenna theory essentially states that the antenna must match the wavelength (be it whole number or fractions) .. and with a frequency of say 45MHz [average for most "non-IR remotes"], the wavelength is 6.67m (lamda = c / nu; where c = 3.0e8m/s and nu = 4.5e7s). The most efficient antenna tend to be: full wave, half wave and quarter wave antennae which means: 6.67m, 3.34m, 1.67m

Average human height happens to be 1.6m [5'6"] (which is the quarter-wave for 45MHz). Wow! So, using a human body, the ideal quarter-wave frequency is 45MHz.

source

Who knew?

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Antenna Effect

It isn't your head, it's your whole body.

I've had it happen to me when adjusting shortwave radios and TV antennas (with my hands, obviously, not my head!) One's body becomes an extension of the antenna.

Here's a link to a nice short paper on it, if you' re seriously interested.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Yes but Asty,
If it was your whole body then you wouldn't need to put the key under your chin since you're already holding it in your hand.
I'm sure the body can act as an antenna as per your citation, but it seems that there's something to the "head" angle in this specific case.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Good point, but I can't think why that might be. The parabolic-antenna theory doesn't work; parabolic antennae don't multiply wave energy, they just direct it. So you'd be standing in the car park with your key tag stuck under your chin, spinning slowly round and round like a lighthouse... that's not what you meant, is it?

Have you tried it yet? Does it really work?

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
The human skull is a resonant cavity.

I have done the car alarm thing and I promise it is real.

I always faced the car to test however. Clearly further experimentation is required to see if the effect is directional. I use this when I get a bit to far from the car and have forgotten to lock it. I have a remote lock control.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Asty, you're starting to worry me.
What lighthouse do you know that spins around?

I'll try it tomorrow. I'll have to be thorough though. I may have to test other body parts.
Note to self: Have a spare set of keys handy.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Obviously you grew up with cable tv.

As a child I would always be holding the damn antennae so I could watch Star Trek or Pokemon or some other show the tv couldn't quite get on it's own. It works on all parts of the body but i've found experimentally it works best with the antennae on the skull. Even better was when i would stick the bare leads from the tv RF cable into my mouth.

Crystal clear analog television.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I first saw this on UK programme called 'Top Gear', so naturally, I tried it!
It worked! I held the remote against my temple and tried it from varying distances. The furthest I got was 75 metres, (I am not sure what condition the batteries in the remote - I have had it for a few years, so I guess they are not fully charged!)

I find this great when I am in a mall carpark and have forgotten exactly where I parked.

Now I am not sure of the science behind it, (as explained above) but I do know it works!!

H

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I'm going into the car park to try it now. I will report back.

oh my god it works!!
It doesn't work while I point it towards my chin,but that sort of charges it. My range is now about 50 feet. It was about 15.

heh,nice one,I was always a bit gutted with the range of my key fob. You've brought me a little closer to completion.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

I just tried it with a friends car and it does work.
I also tried it on my temple, third eye, and the top of my head.
Despite looking like an idiot to my neighbors, it was worth it.
As we speak they're all running around the parking lot with a key under their chin. lol
The key under the chin is the best way. I got about 79 feet of extra range.

[edit on 8/7/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I do this all the time..."oops to far" beep beep

Works great.

But does it fry a brain cell everytime I do it?

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ATruGod

But does it fry a brain cell everytime I do it?

Many.

It's like an addictive drug: the more you use it, the more you need it, because it becomes that much harder to remember where you left your car.

News just in: range increases even further if you actuallly put the thing in your mouth.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

News just in: range increases even further if you actuallly put the thing in your mouth.

Hey Asty,
Who you tryin' to get banned?
Naughty naughty set up post.
Let me see if I can spike that volleyball:
"That's what he said!"

In any case some people have sensitive gag reflexes. You'll find your car but it will be messy.

[edit on 8/7/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Perhaps there's a marketing opportunity in this: keytags available in a variety of flavours.

Make mine chocolate.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
If your vehicle doesn't have a combination door lock, I've heard that calling the other holder of the car keys/computer fob thingy on a cell phone, holding your cell phone close to the door lock and having the long wys away-remote key fob holder, place their key fob close to their phone and push the unlock button.

Works on most vehicles from what I've heard, but I haven't tried it yet.

With my luck I'd lock my cell phone in the car with the keys....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join