It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama says if Americans inflated their tires properly we would save oil!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
I find it helpful to read the posts of the people I'm debating. Give it a shot, and you'll be amazed at the results.

Look, you are being disingenuous and you know it. Please stop twisting as you may break.

As I wrote in the post that's third from the bottom on the second page, and in answer to your question, YES - proper vehicle maintenance, starting tomorrow, would save 1-3% gas mileage annually, on the national level. I'd wager good money that there won't even be an exploratory well operational for a decade in the wake of the ban being lifted, and forget about seeing any of that oil on the market until at least 2030 according to the DOE.

Umm....that is NOT an answer to the question.

You cannot say Yes, then have an explanation with does not answer the question.
Sorry, but it sounds like know his statement was incorrect and are trying any way possible to save face.

Your argument is so ludicrous, it's frankly laughable.
For starters, we could start getting oil from offshore drilling in 2 years. Secondly, your entire premise is based on some crazy 2030 scenario. Come on, stand up, be a man, and admit that Obama was wrong. Oh, right, I forgot the messiah can do no wrong.

I will try one more time.
Answer the question with a simple Yes or No without the attempt to deflect as you did last time. We are not talking about the year 2030, we are talking about today with oil entering the market in 2 years.

Do you agree with what Obama said that getting tune ups and inflating tires will save as much oil as offshore drilling will produce?

[edit on 5-8-2008 by WhatTheory]

[edit on 5-8-2008 by WhatTheory]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Here is why obama is wrong

SAVINGS FROM INFLATING YOUR TIRES WILL NOT EQUAL THE AMOUNT OF OIL OFFSHORE

its a simple as that. why are you guys even arguing this?

No one said that inflating your tires wont give you better mileage. no one at all is disagreeing with that. current estimates are that there are about 18 billion barrels of oil, but what we forget to mention when we say this is that that according to data that over 20 yrs old. no one has been exploring there and it is a very conservative estimate. with the tech that we have now, we might be able to locate more oil there then was ever thought possible.

what most people on here are discussing is that he basically says inflate your tires and we dont need to drill. he is saying this is the solution to the problem when obviously it isnt. if he would have said, "lets find alternative fuels and start drilling offshore (which he wants to do now) for the future, but for now (since congress cant do a damn thing to help out the american public with gas prices) why dont your make sure your tires are inflated properly and this might save you a few bucks." that would have been acceptable.

inflating your tires can also be very dangerous too, like a previous poster said. if you over inflate, there is less rubber on the ground for traction, in wet and dry conditions this can be very dangerous. i can picture it now, some one thinks they can get better mileage by overinflating then they slide off the road and wreck and try to sue obama for telling them to do it.

how bout we recommend not stopping at stop signs. How much gas can we save by not doing that?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Its fun to think about what could happen if we all worked together.
Collective thinking on a nationwide scale to reach a common goal to better humanity is a wonderful idea.

I bet if everyone picked up 1 piece of trash off the ground everyday for 1 week and recycled our city's would be 50% cleaner.

Awesome idea but not gonna happen!

I'm all for taking responsibility for my actions and doing my part but its just not realistic to think that checking the tires and doing regular tune ups is going to be something on everyones minds. I already do these things but you cant make other grown people do something they don't have the money to do or just don't have the time to do.

Therefore it was not a realistic idea. He could recommend certain mandates on automobiles to make them more fuel officiant. Hell he could be creative on so many different levels and get us going in the right direction.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
It's ridiculous to argue this stuff on sites like this. People like WhatTheory have talking points, not opinions. You can't change the talking points. Someone mentioned earlier how the stupid TV pundits have trained an army and it's true. It's just too bad that method of a constant negative barrage isn't working anymore.

Obama is going to win this election. As he should.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by kneebiter42
It's ridiculous to argue this stuff on sites like this. People like WhatTheory have talking points, not opinions. You can't change the talking points.

Yeah, it's a talking point of Obama since he is the one who said it.

Umm.....please stop being a brainwashed sheep or at least try and focus and read the article.

We are discussing what Obama himself said so how is it a talking point?
Are you saying he did not say this and it's all 'made-up'?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by kneebiter42

Thats my point actually. Obama is all talk and if he actually had an original opinion I would be shocked. Thats just my opinion..

If he jumps in the captains seat and puts our country on the right path to not reallying on foreign oil and pulls us back together as a nation I'm all for him.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
You know that wouldn't happen though.

Obama wants dependence on foreign oil because his major campaign investors is the Green Energy framework. Obama promises the government will invest 800 billion into their companies if elected.

The need for Green Energy decreases if there is a domestic solution to this crisis. The crisis creates a need for Green Energy research which could take years and years to come out with something available to the market and everyone.

He is all talk now of course because he doesn't have to backup his words, just trying to get votes with false promises.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
actually he is correct , closing the car windows will save 3mpg on a trip , having correctly inflated tyres will save fuel as will regular servicing

Absolutely. My opinion of Obama is extemely low. However, now he is offerring some common sense advice that actually works. This is the kind of thinking I want our politicians to start using. There are plenty of easy baby steps that cause big improvements, and they don't cost billions of dollars.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I can see the next Dem party line...

*Don't forget to inhale Oxygen...*
*Remeber, drink water...*
*Don't use your Freezer as the Air Conditioner*
*Don't keep the fridge opwn for more then 3 seconds*
*Only Use one piece of toliet paper at a time*
*Don't talk on the Cell when Driving*
*Trans-Fats, BAD... Trans-sexuals, GOOD*
*Don't use the word illigal, because it may offend 'Undocumented Workers'*

The sad part is... half of the Above are true...

This is a MAD WORLD...

If America is so (blank)ing stupid that we elect a marxist, we deserve what we get...

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
To jump in for a moment...

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
I bet if everyone picked up 1 piece of trash off the ground everyday for 1 week and recycled our city's would be 50% cleaner.

Awesome idea but not gonna happen!

Your line of thinking is exactly why things like that don't happen. On one hand you don't care to personally take a few moments of your time to help, on the other you expect people to drill more, produce more, and give more to you without any personal effort.

I'm all for taking responsibility for my actions and doing my part but its just not realistic to think that checking the tires and doing regular tune ups is going to be something on everyones minds.

Then that's their problem. If you don't want to help, I don't care what price you pay for gas or energy. If people can't take the time to take care of the vehicle you are pissed about putting gas into, then why should others solve your problem? There are simple means to help solve the problem and people don't want to take them. It's not realistic because people expect others to do work for them. I have no sympathy for those people.

I already do these things but you cant make other grown people do something they don't have the money to do or just don't have the time to do.

If you can afford a car and gas, you can afford regular oil changes. It takes what, five minutes to inflate your tires? You don't even need to do it everyday. I highly doubt yours, or anyone's life is so busy that five minutes can't be spared to easy their gas cost. That's just lazy.

Therefore it was not a realistic idea. He could recommend certain mandates on automobiles to make them more fuel officiant. Hell he could be creative on so many different levels and get us going in the right direction.

He doesn't have to be creative! There are simple solutions to easing the problem. What isn't realistic is to choose expensive drilling and production, legislation, and other ideas you haven't come up with to take care of our problem. Do you realize how long oil production will take to reach us? I would quote the next paragraph in the time article but I'm going to assume someone already brought that point up. Really, i'm sure most of this is falling on deaf ears but come on man, take the time to solve your own problems. I know what you mean when you say it isn't realistic to expect people to do that, because we're lazy and don't care, but as long as we assume that then it's the way it will be. That sort of thought process will continue to survive as long as someone else solves their problems, which will continue to come at a higher price.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
On second thought...

Mabye he needs to do this...

THe VAST MAJORITY of the people that Obama is courting probaly don't know these simple things...

Lets inform them of some OTHER SIMPLE things... Feel Free to ADD....

*Obamas new instructions for people*

Don't Shove things up your butt(the Gay Reighcts groups are mad)

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory
Do you agree with what Obama said that getting tune ups and inflating tires will save as much oil as offshore drilling will produce?

YES! I do!

Drilling offshore will produce 1% of our demand (Bush estimate)
Proper tire pressure and tune ups reduce our demand by 3-4%

Is there a problem understanding this?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I agree with obama.

He makes sense.
However I do think that we need to open up drilling. If done properly and with good environmental oversight it will be a benefit to us. not a hindrance.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero
I can see the next Dem party line...

*Don't forget to inhale Oxygen...*
*Remeber, drink water...*
*Don't use your Freezer as the Air Conditioner*
*Don't keep the fridge opwn for more then 3 seconds*
*Only Use one piece of toliet paper at a time*
*Don't talk on the Cell when Driving*
*Trans-Fats, BAD... Trans-sexuals, GOOD*
*Don't use the word illigal, because it may offend 'Undocumented Workers'*

The sad part is... half of the Above are true...

This is a MAD WORLD...

If America is so (blank)ing stupid that we elect a marxist, we deserve what we get...

Originally posted by TKainZero
On second thought...

Mabye he needs to do this...

THe VAST MAJORITY of the people that Obama is courting probaly don't know these simple things...

Lets inform them of some OTHER SIMPLE things... Feel Free to ADD....

*Obamas new instructions for people*

Don't Shove things up your butt(the Gay Reighcts groups are mad)

OK first of all, reading any of your posts actually causes me physical pain. It's like a thousand fingernails simultaneously scraping a chalkboard.

It's not just the rampant misspellings and grammatical errors, it's also the fact that they make absolutely no sense whatsoever. I feel as if I'm piecing together a ransom note.

Here's a thought; I'm going to paste all of TKainZero's posts onto a slab of cardboard and sell it as outsider art.

Back on topic: The EIA thinks there is only a 5-7 month supply beneath ANWAR. Besides, do we really think that the oil drilled in Alaska, what little there is, would stay in the US?

Analysis of Crude Oil Production in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge

So yes, I do believe simple conservation related steps are the most prudent to take.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I thought the idea was to get away from fossil fuels. Wouldn't offshore drilling just add to the problem? I don't mind paying more for gas if it means an increase in the proliferation and profitability of alternative energy.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
tdubz
Where did he say to OVERINFLATE tires? Nowhere. Simply follow the instructions that came with the car.

reply to post by WhatTheory

Your argument is so ludicrous, it's frankly laughable.
For starters, we could start getting oil from offshore drilling in 2 years.

How would we build exploratory wells, tap and test, isolate productive wells, build derricks, and start pumping out crude in 2 years - magic? Does Exxon have illegal immigrant leprechauns on the payroll?

What's your source for this claim?

Secondly, your entire premise is based on some crazy 2030 scenario. Come on, stand up, be a man, and admit that Obama was wrong. Oh, right, I forgot the messiah can do no wrong.

That crazy 2030 scenario was based on studies commissioned by the Department of Energy. What are your credentials, exactly, to say that they don't know what they're talking about?

This would be the third time - YES. Are you being serious when you say you think I'm dodging the question? I've answered it directly with the word 'YES' THREE TIMES. I only pray the 'audience' for this debate doesn't have such agenda-driven, selective eyesight.

1-3% from properly inflated tires, plus ~4% from engine maintenance - my numbers earlier were based on 1-3% only, over a 20 year period. I was being generous...

Have I really been that unclear? I put the word YES in all-caps to make sure it stood out.

My statistics came from the DOE and EPA - where do you get yours?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

wyrde,

i know it says to inflate tires properly. but we all know the american public thinks. i can see it now, "if i inflate my tires properly i will save gas, so i wonder how much i can save if i put a little more air in there?" and if you think people wont, youd be mistaken. we already have one poster on here who said he did it and there are hundreds of "hypermilers" who do this and other dangerous techniques like not stopping at stop signs to save gas.

[edit on 5-8-2008 by tdubz]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Everything Obama says has been said before. He's a copy cat, flip flopping, arrogant, politician who will say anything to get what he wants, not what we want. Inflating tires properly has been around for ages.
The media acts like it's a first time idea and everyone should be in awe.
He spoke the words of Bono from U2, he's taken Reagan's words and we're supposed to kneel down and worship his every command. This really makes me wonder what the truth is 2000 years ago? Imagine looking at the history in 4008 and seeing Obama talked about like a Messiah or prophet. Hey I bet they had the media back then in 0000 except they didn't have television, INTERNET, radio etc... All they had was a pencil.

[edit on 8/5/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
All they had was a pencil.

[edit on 8/5/2008 by Solarskye]

Carefully puts on minutiae detecting helmet...

Adjusts straps....

Actually, pencils weren't used until the 15th century.

The Romans used a thin metal stylus.

Removing minutiae detecting helmet...

Powering down...

Offline.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   

As I have already stated, it doesn't matter if Obama or McCain gets in, they are still playing for the same team.

This statement is true. They both are tools.

On topic:

I am waiting for the tire pressure nazi's to come out full force. They stop you and the first thing they do is check your tire pressure. They ticket you as if it wasn't bad enough that you were paying for more gas in the first place. That's right. A ticket for low pressure. They can already force (with violence) you to buckle up, does this seem far fetched?

Regulations and tighter restrictions (aka less freedom) are in our future.

I 'hope' Obama wins so we can all see him without the halo around his head. Also, I get to tell those ostentatious, vegetarian, mac users in my local Cafe 'I told you so!' when Obama messes us up as much as Bush ever did.

Then again, I also hope McCain wins so we can see how bad it can get without needing to change the course of the nation. We'll taking bets upon his inauguration.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join