It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama says if Americans inflated their tires properly we would save oil!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
It's a common sense solution to a very real problem - the fact that you're mocking his advice shows quite clearly that you don't even listen to what he says, you just disagree with anything and everything that comes out of his mouth.

I guess you don't realize what he actually said. Perhaps you should read it again.
People would not have to mock him if he would actually make sense.
If he would have just said that it would help save you money on gas then he would have been correct. Unfortunately, that is not what he said.

Obama stated that doing those things will save as much oil as offshore drilling would produce. Two totally different things and it's very dumb on his part to even suggest such a thing.

This is the problem with partisan politics and the running-mouth pundits - they're unnecessarily adversarial, and they inspire their little cult followers to be the same.

No, it's called stating the obvious which I guess you refuse to hear. Do you not understand what he actually said? If you do, then you agree that getting tune ups and inflating tires will save as much oil as offshore drilling will produce? Is this what you believe?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
actually he is correct , closing the car windows will save 3mpg on a trip , having correctly inflated tyres will save fuel as will regular servicing

so why slam teh guy for actually making sensible advice

or is it you didn`t realise that looking after your vehicle will save you money?

He is 100% correct, if we would just do simple things like turning off our air conditioner and roll down your windows it can add 10% on your mpg, if you are going under 45mph...I do that now.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

You got it! He said

if all Americans inflated their tires properly and took their cars for regular tune-ups, they could save as much oil as new offshore drilling would produce.

This is ludicrous!
Having an international tire pressure day is not going to solve the problem of offshore drilling.

[edit on 5-8-2008 by Digital_Reality]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
apparantly you can`t read either at all - in no where did i attribute anything to obama as it was observations about saving money and good driving practises

So when you said in your first post:

And he is correct.

How is that not agreeing with Obama?

Do you even know what you post? If not Obama, then who were you attributing?

stop trolling neo-con.

Ah, the first sign of a typical brainwashed liberal. Must you resort to name calling because you know I'm correct.

BTW, I guess you don't know what 'neo-con' means because I have never been a liberal.
You do realize that in order to be a neo-con you must have been a liberal at one point right?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The New York Times says in the article that ...

He's so out of touch that he suggested

So he suggested, either way it was an idea he had for the offshore drilling problem which shows his caliber of problem solving.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I guess you don't realize what he actually said. Perhaps you should read it again.

I do realize what he said, and I think you are the one who should read it again since you clearly didn't UNDERSTAND it the first time around.

If he would have just said that it would help save you money on gas then he would have been correct. Unfortunately, that is not what he said.

If people followed his advice they would get better gas mileage. If they get better gas mileage they use less gas. If people are using less gas, less oil is refined into gas. Therefore, if people followed his advice we would use less oil. If we used less oil, it would be the equivalent of opening up offshore drilling.

His point is valid, whether or not you understand it.

Obama stated that doing those things will save as much oil as offshore drilling would produce. Two totally different things and it's very dumb on his part to even suggest such a thing.

LOL - that was priceless!

I finally understand the problem: a shocking lack of deductive reasoning on the part of the pundits and their little minions of darkness.

[edit] Wait, this is even better! I had to edit to respond to this...

BTW, I guess you don't know what 'neo-con' means because I have never been a liberal. You do realize that in order to be a neo-con you must have been a liberal at one point right?

Okay - so you're saying that no matter how a word is used, its meaning cannot change?

The contemporary usage of the word is clear and no amount of semantic acrobatics will change that.

If you want to argue that the 1800's definition is the only true definition, rock on with that, but language is an evolving creature, and as usage changes, so does meaning.

Personally, I use the term to describe the new breed of Republicans that make old school Republicans (fiscal conservatives) ashamed of their party.

[edit on 5-8-2008 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

Wow, way to dodge and not answer a direct question.

Did you do this intentionally in order to attempt to make a lame point. I will ask you again since you apparently did not understand the point.

Do you not understand what he actually said? If you do, then you agree that getting tune ups and inflating tires will save as much oil as offshore drilling will produce? Is this what you believe?

[edit on 5-8-2008 by WhatTheory]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
He flip flops enough so that everyone can relate and agree on any given day.

A great definition and example of Obama's pandering.

Just tell Obama what your issue is and he's all over it - right up until the next person tells him what their issue is. Too bad so many obamaphiles cannot play connect the dots enough to see that all Obama is doing is pandering. That's if any of them even care about the issues facing this country.

[edit on 8/5/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

Now your being hateful. I'm not someones minion of darkness and his idea is stupid! Its not plausible that everyone is going to hold hands and check their tire pressure and solve the offshore drilling problem. Its just not going to happen therefore its a dumb thing to suggest.
Is this the best your candidate can come up with?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Obama says if Americans inflated their tires properly we would save oil!

www.time.com

How out of touch is Barack Obama? He's so out of touch that he suggested that if all Americans inflated their tires properly and took their cars for regular tune-ups, they could save as much oil as new offshore drilling would produce. Gleeful Republicans have made this their daily talking point; Rush Limbaugh is having a field day; and the Republican National Committee is sending tire gauges labeled "Barack Obama's Energy Plan" to Washington reporters.

(visit the link for the full news article)

I thought I'd make a bit of a quibble with the post before I get to the main point of this reply.
If you are going to post something as a headline, make sure that it's the actual headline of the article and don't sensationalize it.
The actual title of the article is:

The Tire-Gauge Solution: No Joke

I'm also a little bit confused by your use of this article to cite a particular point of view, when it seems to be making the opposite point in which I'm assuming that you intended.
For example, here's the second paragraph of the cited article.

But who's really out of touch? The Bush Administration estimates that expanded offshore drilling could increase oil production by 200,000 bbl. per day by 2030. We use about 20 million bbl. per day, so that would meet about 1% of our demand two decades from now. Meanwhile, efficiency experts say that keeping tires inflated can improve gas mileage 3%, and regular maintenance can add another 4%. Many drivers already follow their advice, but if everyone did, we could immediately reduce demand several percentage points. In other words: Obama is right.

[edit on 5-8-2008 by round_eyed_dog]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

He has a very valid point. I drive a 2006 Malibu and the recommended tire pressure is 32psi, my tires are rated all the way up to 44psi and I run them at 40psi. I have checked my mileage over and over and I can drive an extra 150-200 miles further, running at the higher pressure. If every American did this it would save a huge amount of fuel. You get a slightly rougher ride but the fuel savings is well worth it.

On a side note when ever i go to get my oil changed, they always check the tire pressure and I have to tell them to leave them at 40psi or they will lower it back down to 32.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Average American passenger vehicle fuel efficiency (I am negating semis as they generally do have proper tire inflation, etc.) is about 25 MPG

25mpg? is that all?

He should be advising you to buy better cars that actually have fuel efficiency.

Surely that figures wrong?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Wow. Obama-haters jump to argument without doing the math first. Obama wants us to save gas? What a bad idea LOL.

I think it's great that he wants to tie drilling to more spending on alternative fuel. I'm sure that doesn't sit well with Big Oil who has Bush in their pocket, as well as fox-brainwashed droids who apparently consider it ridiculous to follow the vehicle operator's manual and to monitor their tire pressure.

[edit on 5-8-2008 by buddhasystem]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage
He has a very valid point. I drive a 2006 Malibu and the recommended tire pressure is 32psi, my tires are rated all the way up to 44psi and I run them at 40psi.

In all fairness, you are doing a wrong thing by inflating the tires above what's recommended by such a large margin -- you lose traction because of that, and that's treacherous on a slippery surface. Slightly more is fine, but not like that.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by round_eyed_dog

Sigh.... OK, so do you really believe this is a good plausible solution for the offshore drilling problem? Pumping up our tires and getting tune ups...
Come on! This guy wants to be the President of the United States and this is the best he can do.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

amazing , well not really, since its apparant that rabid frothing at the mouth neo-cons can`t even understand what is in front of them and just make it all up as they go along; quite simply obama is offering good advice for saving money both as an individual and as a country - but apparantly you have a kindergarten level of understanding so for that i pity you.

and the word is libertarian, as i stand for personal liberty not being swept up in the meat grinder of neo-cons being heated by the constiution as its torn up and thrown away.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

here is what i find funny elephants criticizing something that comes from their man's own departments. The bush administration says its true. General refusal to blame the people who control everything. Thats what's holding us back. america has become compliant, and lazy. But you know what people like PHil Gramm and John Mccain have enough money to pay for their damn gas why should they care that McCain's plans will take years to impliment.

I will make this prediction once the oil companies get their way with offshore drilling yeah I gaurantee it will be back to 3 dollar per gallon or less. Someone is holding america hostage. Yeah its easy to blame opec, but take a general guess who has the hands in the cookie jar both parties.

Mccain tell Charlie black to pack, and leave. Its about time you and yes even Obama get your balls off the ground, and be real men.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

We could start saving 1-3% nationally on gas mileage TOMORROW, decreasing demand and creating a surplus of supply, or we could end the moratorium and increase supply by 1% 20-30 years from now.

One of those options is sensible and one is not - I can tell which is which, can you?

If we're talking about the 'offshore drilling problem' - that's fine, but let's define the problem. The amount of oil is negligible, and the possible risks are HUGE. I spent a good deal of time on the water, fishing, and the last thing I want to see is an oil slick. The risk is not worth the reward, unless you consider a 1% increase in supply as something valuable.

The only positive side of exploration that I see is more jobs. That is a plus side...

Contrary to the foamy-mouthed rantings of the pundits, rumors of offshore drilling have probably not affected the price of oil. The price bubble couldn't last forever. Smart investors took their profits from overextended schmucks, and that caused the slump - that's the most likely scenario I should think.

And finally, not that it matters, I wouldn't vote for either McCain or Obama. The former is the Shrub's homonculus, and the latter is far too inexperienced to be trusted, and his messiah complex is disturbing to say the least.

I'm not sitting here defending "my guy" - he's not my guy, I wouldn't vote for him if he was running against the devil himself. That's not the point. The point is that on the facts he's right about the sensible course of action to increase supply: that is to decrease our demand.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I realize it will save money to check tire pressure regularly. All I'm saying is this is not the answer to our oil problems. He has to be more original and come up with a better idea if he wants to inspire. At this point I'm not inspired..

I got one for you then;
everything you look at is an illusion created by machines to keep you occupied while the eat your body heat. You can do anything you want in here, as long as you believe you can , even fly and beat up bad guys after stunning them with your wooden acting skills! Now quick, go practice your Kung-Foo up on a really high building while you're all hot and heavy with insperation!

THERE IS NO SPOON!

Seriously, bud,
There is no one, super, big wild idea that's going to save the world and let every one go back to wasting resources on stupid sh*te we don't need as though there were never any consequences. Those days are done, and it is the responsibility, and the privilege, of each and every citizen of the World to do what they can, within their means, no matter how small or seemingly pointless.
What's more inspiring than being told that by doing something as simple as inflating your dang tires properly, for starters, you can become part of a positive change in your world?
It's gotta start some where, so why not your drive way? It'll give you something to do while you're waiting for........ whatever big inspiring idea it is you're waiting for.

Be the change you want to see in the world,
it sounds like lame flake speach, but it's really the only way to get things done

No harm intended
all in good fun
pick up your socks, boys
set phazers to stun!

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Well, it incorporates both ends of the spectrum, as it is an average of all cars on the road today. If it was all brand new passenger cars, yeah then the figure would be up in the 30+ range. But it includes hybrids, hummers, beaters, sportscars, etc. I drive a 20 year old jeep and pull about 16 MPG, so I bring down the average.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join