It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soul mates fact or fiction?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

Oh we have "chemistry". That's probably why I "settled" for him!

I'm terrible!

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I remember reading the description of a book or a review some time ago. The theroy was that we have alot of the same people in our life each time we come back. It was suggested roles change so your son could have been your father in another life for example. Thought it was a neet idea, sorry I can't remember the book

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFireNone give me that feeling that I want to spend my life with.

I do SO hope this won't be misunderstood as patronising, but...
YOU are the one you'll be spending your entire life with, buddy.
Think about that. Work on that.

And if you then happen to meet - meet, not "find" - a person you'd like to let into your life for good, so much the better.
But it's not a requirement for growing into the almost-perfect yourself, which, in my opinion, is what all this is about.
Or indeed for blissful happiness.

[edit on 5-8-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by VanitasI do SO hope this won't be misunderstood as patronising, but...

And if you then happen to meet - meet, not "find" - a person you'd like to let into your life for good, all the better.
But it's not a requirement for growing into the almost-perfect yourself, which, in my opinion, is what all this is about.

Very true!!

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I remember reading the description of a book or a review some time ago. The theroy was that we have alot of the same people in our life each time we come back. It was suggested roles change so your son could have been your father in another life for example. Thought it was a neet idea, sorry I can't remember the book

I just finshed "'American Prophet" about Edgar Cayce.

Your description is basically what the "source" that came through Edgar said.

Your reincarnated 8 times. Each time to balance your Karma and get closer to being one with the creator. Also your reincarnated in groups to help each other out with the karma balance. And as you said, you do have a specific soul mate who is not necessesarily your spouse. With Edgar, his secrectary was his soul mate and previously she was his mother and before that his wife.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinktip

Thanks for posting that. I'll have to pick up that book !

[edit on 5-8-2008 by Swingarm]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I thought I had met my "soulmate". We were the perfect couple. We didn't argue, we had civilized debates. No one controlling the other. An admiration of each other that only we could appreciate. I thought that was "it". My life was complete.

But strange things happen sometimes, and people go in different directions. I don't regret a thing, except maybe trying to hold on for as long as I did. Sometimes you just gotta let them go. It's tough being in two bodies with different worries.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

Originally posted by LDragonFireNone give me that feeling that I want to spend my life with.

I do SO hope this won't be misunderstood as patronising, but...

I have learned over the years that true happiness lies within yourself, this was a very hard lesson to learn. For many years I thought my happiness was linked to this person I thought of as my soul mate. I do think that it was fate or destiny that we met, but the lessons I needed to learn in this union was not the ones I thought they would be.

And if you then happen to meet - meet, not "find" - a person you'd like to let into your life for good, so much the better.
Or indeed for blissful happiness.

I left my soul mate [or one of them] in October it will be three years. I did not want to rush into the arms of another person for strength, but instead I have worked on me, in this search for happiness from within, and today I'm probably stronger mentally and emotionally than at any other time in my life. I do think "find" is a better word to use, we all are faced with decisions everyday, left turn or right turn and based on the decision you make you might just find and meet the person of your dreams. If I didn't go to that convenient store that night I would not have found and then met my first soul mate.

In this thread there are two examples of people meeting there soul mates and to this point they are living happily ever after, I thought there would be more positive examples.

Now is it possible that I did my first soul mate wrong in a past life, and karma has fixed that wrong in this life?

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
being the hopeless romantic i am, i want to belive its true. to me, it is a fact, because i chose for it to be.

somebody else might not belive in it, for whatever reason. to them, it is fiction.

truth is what you make it.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I absolutely do believe in Soul Mates and I have [finally] found mine. Well, he found me and it was instant connection. And really the word "connection" is an absolute understatement of what we have experienced. However, we instantly felt as if we had known each other our whole lives - previous lives too?

I was going to tell the whole story here of how we met and why we both believe we are Soul Mates, but as I typed it in Word, it became very long. Probably longer then most would want to read
Eh, maybe a short book is in order.

I can say this. My soul mate and I, after 30+ years and countless relationships and plenty of experience with others....we have something with each other that we have NEVER had with anyone else. It was not sought after, it was not expected, nor was it forced. It just naturally happened....and both of us are still shocked to this day

We tend to call it supernatural/spiritual...because of how it came about...how it developed and where it is now. We are even in different countries, different cultures and speak different languages as our native tongue. Yet we were unexpectedly brought together despite these hurdles.

I also do not believe there are more then 1 soul mate out there for us. I believe, based on my life experiences and my current relationship with this person....that there is only one perfect person for us....and we found each other

I believe a soul mate is found only when one is not looking

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   
i hate to say it but i dont beleive in the description of soulmate.....as such.

i think that all humans on earth are all entwined and i tend to go by the buddhist saying that our friends/familes are from our previous lives hense why we do have certain connections in this one. one connection may be stronger than others (hense married couples) though i dont think that your souls are entwinded at all. i think you just have a sexual, more intermate love for that 'one'.

we are all individuals with individual souls so no...i dont beleive in soulmates.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
i do believe in soul mates too...the story is....few years ago i went out and i meet him...we stay togehter for a very long time...we feel the same, had the same thoughts and all this...first we meet it was like we knew each other for a long time...we broke up after a while but we still see eachother sometimes...and we still got this connection...
he was my first soul-mate and i know there is someone out there... we just have a few...i missed one...ok but im waiting for the next....and he'll come...

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harman

Originally posted by UFOpsychiczebra
Interesting topic. One of the problems with discussing soul mates is that you only ever get to hear the success stories as people tend not to share the ones that ended badly.

Erh, look again bub
. I posted mine and it ended badly.

I meant generally not just this thread.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I don't believe in souls. I do however believe there are people out there who are physically, psycologically, biolgically and every other llly totally compatible with YOU.

I met mine online. We knew each other that way for two years before we met, before we even knew what each other looked like.

When I moved to the UK to "find" him I didn't know his name, his true age or what he looked like. I knew the town he lived in, and that's it. I didn't know he was only 18 to my 33 until he walked in the door with a sheepish smile and shaking like a leaf - thinking I'd dump him faster then a ton of bricks when I found out that he'd lied abouthis age.

Long story short, the day I finally laid eyes on him it felt like the destiny I do not believe in.

We've been together for three years now. He is my lover, my best friend, my companion, my EVERYTHING.

He is my Soulmate.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by UFOpsychiczebra

To add: Just because a relationship ended badly doesnt mean the person was not a soulmate afterall.

Its naive Hollywood-thinking that soulmate must necessarily mean "happy together forever".

Possibly we even have some foes who were our friends in other lives.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Or maybe we treated them like crap in the previous life! And we are just getting back what we deserve in this life.

I'm still on the bubble about this part of it.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I love the idea - I think we all do - that's why we hold out

I do think there's something to it

I also agree with a lot of what Skyfloating said -

I don't think there are coincidences - I definitely believe in synchronicity - that there are signs, messages everywhere

I believe in reincarnation - but I'm a little fuzzy on the details

but I've read - and have come to believe - that we repeat relationships with the same individuals over and over

your sister this life may have been your father in a past life - and on and on

if we do have that one single significant other - we would have to represent the exact same thing for them - but maybe the soul mate situation isn't about everlasting love and happiness

we find each other time and time again because we have lessons to learn from each other - and the lessons don't necessarily involve a happily ever after - in this one life

maybe she was your soul mate - but, lesson learned - class over

new class next life

but like I said - a little fuzzy on the details

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I believe in soulmates. I met my husband in an online game. My avatar met his avatar in Frontier Mountains in Everquest. It's difficult to explain the feeling I first felt about him. We were both in a group fighting giants. He didn't say more than a few words and yet I felt compelled to seek him out the next time I logged on. I found myself drawn to a person I had never even seen. I didn't know anything about him in real life.

Over the course of a few weeks, we started to talk about non-game issues. Turns out he was divorced, had two kids and was my age. We started an e-mail relationship and eventually met in person. He was in New Mexico and I was in Washington. Within a year, we were married. That was 2001. We are still together and I feel we were meant to be together.

Curiously, after meeting and comparing where we had lived during our lives, we found that we had been in the same place at the same time many times but never met.

What is interesting about our relationship is that it is like we've always known each other. I felt an instant comfort level with him - almost like he's been part of my family forever - rather than the awkwardness that normally comes with meeting new people.

It seems funny now that our special place, the place we met, was in a game.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Thanks for starting this thread. I had thought about it.
I spent most of my young life looking for him. Every time I went on a trip. I new he wasn't in my town. Never found him, even though I had pictured him. I also believe it is a "many soul-mates" theory but that some people do choose to have "one". My grandparents were soul mates. I know other people who have many. I am a many soul mates person, but if you asked if there was one person who I feel I was to live my life "with" it is my mom. No one will understand or relate with me like her. We don't even have to communicate verbally to understand each other. We don't have to finish sentences... we know what the other wants before asking. We are in tune. If she died, I would feel odd because then there would be no one who "knows" me. We have been to hell and back together.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
People are comfortable with what is familiar and we need to relate to each other.

One of the reasons my x and I thought we were soul mates was the familiarity's in our lives. We both had baby girls when we were teens and gave them up for adoption. We were both abused by our step fathers, both men where named Don [in my case it was more of a power struggle]. The father of her adoptive child was a guy named David, David was my best friends brother, she was around his family for years at the same time I was but we never met each other. There are many other things, but I'm thinking you get the point.

A friend just pointed out to me that being declared a soul mate might make the relationship harder. I can see this as it might add certain expectations to relationships, when these things take lots of work.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join