Cough - Sue manufacturers out of existence, ban semi autos & of course the "stealth" outlaw ammo sales for "bad" guns.
Senator Obama's website
"...the passage of legal protection for the gun industry would mark an enormous setback for gun control advocates and for leaders of cities such as
Chicago, who have filed suit against gun dealers and manufacturers."
"I am not in favor of concealed weapons," Obama said. "I think that creates a potential atmosphere where more innocent people could (get shot
Do you support legislation to ban the manufacture, sale and possession of
"While a complete ban on handguns is not politically practicable, I believe reasonable restrictions on the sale and possession of handguns are
necessary to protect the public safety. In the Illinois Senate last year, I supported a package of bills to limit individual Illinoisans to purchasing
one handgun a month; require all promoters and sellers at firearms shows to carry a state license; allow civil liability for death or injuries caused
by handguns; and require FOID applicants to apply in person. I would support similar efforts at the federal level, including retaining the Brady
b. assault weapons?
c. ammunition for handguns and assault weapons?
"I would support banning the sale of ammunition for assault weapons and limiting the sale of ammunition for handguns."
36. Do you support legislation
a. mandating background checks of purchasers of weapons at gun shows, through the internet and through print advertisements?
b. increasing penalties for illegal resale of weapons?
Barack Obama on Gun Control
Democratic nomine for President; Junior Senator (IL)
Click here for 11 full quotes by Barack Obama OR click here for Barack Obama on other issues.
* Ok for states & cities to determine local gun laws. (Apr 2008)
* FactCheck: Yes, Obama endorsed Illinois handgun ban. (Apr 2008)
* Respect 2nd Amendment, but local gun bans ok. (Feb 2008)
* Provide some common-sense enforcement on gun licensing. (Jan 2008)
* 2000: cosponsored bill to limit purchases to 1 gun per month. (Oct 2007)
* Concealed carry OK for retired police officers (only). (Aug 2007)
* Stop unscrupulous gun dealers dumping guns in cities. (Jul 2007)
* Keep guns out of inner cities--but also problem of morality. (Oct 2006)
* Bush erred in failing to renew assault weapons ban. (Oct 2004)
* Ban semi-automatics, and more possession restrictions. (Jul 1998)
* Voted NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)