It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to ban the sale/transfer of ALL Semi-Automatic weapons.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

I don't see it as a matter of "media censoring"...I live in one of the biggest cities in the country and I have never had someone break into my house. I have never known that to happen to anyone I have ever met. And I grew up in one of the crappiest neighborhoods in the city.

I guess our societies really are different. Maybe you guys do need guns.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Heres a link so you understand its not JUST the US:

www.google.com...

Zindo

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
See, this issue is one of the very few issues in which there is still a fairly clear difference between the two parties. It's enough of a difference to sway my vote and is the primary reason that I still support the Republican party. I'll be honest though, the older I get the less I worry about firearm regulations. This isn't because I agree with them but, rather, because I have absolutely no intention of following them.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
And the title is misleading. After doing some research I created a new topic in the politics forums: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Barack Obama intensified his campaign to appeal to voters on the life-and-death issues of the American heartland yesterday by stepping away from his past support for gun control...

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Yep, people died. Sad isnt it? Do you honestly believe that taking away firearms from people who respect the law and dont slaughter innocent people is going to make this any better? How many people died from cancer due to smoking or eating fast food today? How many died from car crashes, or wrong medications? Guns arent the problem, people are the problem. Our society is very flawed, we have a pill for everything, a counselor for this and that, this bizarre feeling that everyone is entitled to anything and no one is ever responsible when things go wrong. So we have gangs trying to take from others, they shoot people. We have business partners getting upset because they dont have the biggest house in town, so they go crazy and shoot up their business. Guns arent responsible for this. They are just a tool. If I drop a hammer through my car window is it the hammers fault? Let me ask you this. With the Chicago shootings, if one honest person had been armed, how many deaths could have been prevented?

To all of the other firearms dissenters out there. I own guns, alot of guns. Its my choice and my freedom to do so. I dont do it because I think a rogue army is going to come and imprision me. I dont because I think my government will turn and force me into some odd slavery. I own guns because I enjoy eating fresh meat not raised on hormones. I enjoy the right to not be a victim. I can defend myself, with and without a weapon. But should I need a firearm, it is not only my right as an American, but a God given right to protect my life and the lives of other innocents.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

The topic is neither mis leading or inaccurate. He has a history of being anti gun and has said during current debate he will vote for an assault weapons ban. The fact he is a lying sack of *snip* right before the election has nothing to do with his rock solid history of seeking to take away firearms and undermine the second amendment.

He will lose the election over what he has done in the past and what he stated he intends to do as president.

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7-8-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This is great, even though most of you Americans don't support him banning semi automatics...Hey guess what? The British aren't coming, you don't need your rifles anymore.

And for all of you who think banning weapons is wrong, well then, I'm sure Iraq is the place for you, you'll love it, day by day shootings, right up your alleys, I guess.

[edit on 6-8-2008 by Tomis_Nexis]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Tomis_Nexis

The british are not doing anything but shutting up and putting their nose back in the corner and do what they are told. Our govt is by the people and for the people. Not a communist like Monarchy

Mean while they wait to get stabbed on the streets of their own cities because taking away the guns didn't stop the crime or the killings.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

You are right. The crime and killings happen because there is something fundamentally wrong with the society they live in. I honestly can't believe what I'm hearing here...People are actually talking like home invasions where someone comes in to murder the family is everyday business. What the hell kind of place do you live in?

I grew up in the ghetto and this never happened to me.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle
And the title is misleading. After doing some research I created a new topic in the politics forums: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I added the voting records of both candidates to the thread so they can be compared in a fair and judicial manner. Thx.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Yeah, I suppose that a better example would be Russia. They've long since had very restrictive laws on firearms ownership, yet, amazingly, the murder rates there are several times higher than they are in the United States.

They're not the only ones, either.

Thanks for playing, though.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illahee

The british are not doing anything but shutting up and putting their nose back in the corner and do what they are told. Our govt is by the people and for the people. Not a communist like Monarchy

Mean while they wait to get stabbed on the streets of their own cities because taking away the guns didn't stop the crime or the killings.

Your gov't is for themselves as you slave with low wage jobs and a poor economy, and they try to make it up by letting you shoot at one another when someone steals your spot at a gas station.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Well America is supposed to be the world example of peace, I can see why no country takes you seriously on that.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DazedDave
reply to post by Illahee

You are right. The crime and killings happen because there is something fundamentally wrong with the society they live in. I honestly can't believe what I'm hearing here...People are actually talking like home invasions where someone comes in to murder the family is everyday business. What the hell kind of place do you live in?

I grew up in the ghetto and this never happened to me.

That was then, this is now. When we were kids we never locked the door.

Its happening now in every community day. These things are being suppressed from the media in other countries

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
No guns should ever be tolerated inside city limits. There is no justification for such items in a city. All such guns and owners should be banned from such city limits, if need be.

I don't even trusted the cops to use guns properly .... and civilians are far far less qualified to use them than cops are.

NO MORE GUNS PLEASE, WE ARE CIVILIZED.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by psteel

We're civilized? Thats a good one.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78

Yeah, I suppose that a better example would be Russia. They've long since had very restrictive laws on firearms ownership, yet, amazingly, the murder rates there are several times higher than they are in the United States.

They're not the only ones, either.

Thanks for playing, though.

And according to your article, third world nations have a far worse gun crime, do you want me to compare you to a third world country while develped countries like Finland and the Swiss (and they have the same laws more or less as the States when it comes to weapons) have far less gun crime then the US?

Thanks for playing.

[edit on 6-8-2008 by Tomis_Nexis]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Yes, and that's due to the actions of our government as related to foreign affairs. Our guns laws have no bearing on that and the fact is, many US states with high rates of gun ownership have violent crime rates as low as in any nation in the world.

Firearms aren't the problem. The problem with violent crime in the United States is largely the same as in any other nation: poor socio-economic conditions. In the US, it is mostly confined to the inner cities where murder rates generally run 2-3 times the national average. Again, in rural and semi-rural areas, you generally do not see this occur, despite *very* high rates of firearm ownership.

I have absolutely no fear walking down the street unarmed in my blue-collar town, even though its I know all of my neighbors are armed to the teeth. The people here have long since proven themselves as responsible gun owners and there is no reason to take their weapons away.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

I'm glad you managed to find a nice, unbiased source like a website called Gun and Ammo...lol

But seriously...I'd like to see what proportion of those murder rates come from gun violence, as opposed to general murders. Not trying to put you or the research down, I'm just curious.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

That doesn't explain why this has never happened to me or anyone I know despite living in a huge city. Unless my own friends and family are being censored as well...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join