It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Complex Theology Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I have just been asked by my 4 year old son whether God cares if you eat bogies?

As theology questions go this one has me stumped for a quick answer and so I thought that I would put it out to all you clever people. Apart from the fact that the thought of anyone doing this is foul and every parent ever has told their kids to not to. Does anyone have any biblical reason why God cares if we do, or maybe even don't, eat bogies?

OK, maybe not the most serious thread in the world but I could maybe get an answer for him that may even satisfy him. (Although satisfying a 4 year old with any answer is V. HARD)

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
i actually had to look the word up because i had no idea what you were talking about

(i hope you mean booger)

the only think i can think about is whether or not it is harmful to eat "boogers"

the scripture is matt 22:39 which is basically to love your neighbor as yourself. the context implies that you have some self esteem and wouldnt want to hurt yourself, therefore you wouldnt hurt others.

2 corinthians 7:1 which to cleanse ourselves of fleshly defilements. this could be applied to smoking or drugs, but again it would depend on whether a "booger" is harmful

i took the liberty of looking it up and came up with this link

www.associatedcontent.com...

so i guess if its beneficial, then let him eat away... (that thought made me throw up alittle) lol

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Iggus

I have 3 daughters under the age of 9, so I understand the frustration.

As a general rule, I teach my kids that ANY activity which diminishes the glory of man (mankind) is not right, for we are not allowed (nor created) to act like beasts.

We (mankind) were created in the image of God, not the image of say, a 'pig' or a 'dog'.

This is why, when a riot breaks out or some jogger gets raped by multiple gang members or a horrific murderer is talked about...people use language like: "they acted like ANIMALS!" It is never meant as a compliment and most of humanity knows EXACTLY what this term means. Any act, or activity, that takes away from the dignity of mankind (and acting like beasts) is to be rejected.

The "acid test questions" I use for our children is: "Does this activity bring glory or SHAME to humanity? Does this activity bring humanity down to the level of animals (beasts)?"

Eating one's own waste (from their nose) does not bring glory to humanity. (Sniffling is not the same thing!)

2 Peter 2:22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Dogs will not only eat their own vomit, but they will eat their own FECES out of boredom.

Tissues were invented by mankind, not by the beasts.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by miriam0566

2 corinthians 7:1 which to cleanse ourselves of fleshly defilements. this could be applied to smoking or drugs, but again it would depend on whether a "booger" is harmful

Smoking or using drugs for recreation is never condemned in the Bible.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I'm not a Christian but...

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body," (1 Cor. 6:19-20)

Then you can remind your son that bogies are not so good for your health. They can contain bacteria that came from your body but somethings that come out are not all that great to put back in.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Thanks all for the replies.

I am only certain of one thing from all this, and that is I don't think that any of these things will stop him

Of course he should just obey me as his dad when I tell him not too
(Now how do you go about getting him to do that again...)

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I am not a Christian but honor thy father and mother sounds about right

-Kyo

new topics

top topics

join