It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was there Market manipulation Aug 5, 2008?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I am not a market guy nor do I pretend to but this appears as market manipulation to me.I could be wrong but it seems like a pretty dramatic change in a 2 minute time frame.At 10:44 am this morning the DOW was at 11449.01 and 10:46am it was at 11286.01. Thats 169 points in 2 minutes mind you which I believe equates to 1.69 million shares being moved.Then 2 minutes later at 11:48am it shot back up to 11459.29

Is this evidence of Market manipulation happening here or do I just need to stop watching this stuff?

[edit on 8/5/2008 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
that seems pretty conclusive. any ideas for the intention of a tampering?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mproject

I can't figure that one out.I don't see anything in the news anymore unusual than any other day.It is very odd if you ask me.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
That might have been the time frame when the Fed announced the change/ no change in the interest rate. There was no change in rate today, that might explain the drop off for a few minutes.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Im not a market guy either. But I do know it moves up and down throughout the day, up and down, up and down.. But that does seem like a lot in only two minutes.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
It looks like a glitch in the data to me. For that brief time period, it dropped right down to where the DOW started at the beginning of the day and came right back up. It would be one heck of a concidence if the DOW just happened to drop to exactly where it started at the beginning of the day.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

That could be but the Fed did not make that announcement until right before 2pm.Now that could mean that there are people on wall street getting the info long before anyone else does which in my opinion is illegal.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
My mistake I am on Pacific time and the rates were announced about then my time :O).. carry on...

link   
ok.. this is not resolved..

The Fed info was at around 10 am.. and the glitch is at 11am..

Your chart

My chart

According to the time frame.. the news reported this...

Stocks added to their hefty gains following the Federal Reserve's decision to leave its key rate target unchanged Monday, warning of both high inflation and continued risks to U.S. economic growth.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source

[edit on 5-8-2008 by Willbert]

link   

Originally posted by BlueTriangle
It looks like a glitch in the data to me. For that brief time period, it dropped right down to where the DOW started at the beginning of the day and came right back up. It would be one heck of a coincidence if the DOW just happened to drop to exactly where it started at the beginning of the day.

If that is the case then it almost looks like they restarted or reset the market figures which, I don't know how they could pull that off. Anyway if it was a glitch;its still there....see here.

finance.aol.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo

Originally posted by BlueTriangle
It looks like a glitch in the data to me. For that brief time period, it dropped right down to where the DOW started at the beginning of the day and came right back up. It would be one heck of a coincidence if the DOW just happened to drop to exactly where it started at the beginning of the day.

If that is the case then it almost looks like they restarted or reset the market figures which, I don't know how they could pull that off. Anyway if it was a glitch;its still there....see here.

finance.aol.com...

That is not the case as according to my previous post.. the changes were made at roughly 10am according to my chart.. The other chart for 11am is unresolved.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Willbert

Right the market figures showing that spike was at aprox. 11 am and as stated earlier the announcement was not until 2pm.So what does all this mean then?

You can see the market move up as stated in the news after the Feds announcement at 2pm.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Right the market figures showing that spike was at aprox. 10 am and as stated earlier the announcement was not until 2pm.So what does all this mean then?

You can see the market move up as stated in the news after the Feds announcement at 2pm.

Well.. if one knew that the rate would not change.. would one not wish to invest more at a lower rate? So bale out to lower the rates.. then buy in at the lower price.

Basically someone had huge amount to ditch to lower the rate to possibly buy at a cheaper price to increase their volume.. only thing that comes to mind right now.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I agree with your assessment there...it just seems like a big gamble with a lot of shares don't you think?Someone is expecting the market to turn around soon maybe.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I agree with your assessment there...it just seems like a big gamble with a lot of shares don't you think?Someone is expecting the market to turn around soon maybe.

Or... someone sold their shares at a discounted rate. Maybe someone is in the know about a possible crash and knew someone who may be in trouble and traded good credit for bad....

Just need to find out who did the trades...

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
the fed manipulates the market everyday. (most of the time) it is slightly more subtle than this. I would agree that it looks like a glitch with the data. on marketwatch.com the chart appears as normal.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I agree with the data glitch thing, but this market is being manipulated. There is nothing real backing up today's pump up and I think a lot of people will be taking their profits tomorrow & running like hell. I also think there's a good amount of people shorting this pump cause it can't hold, but we shall see.....

There is too much wrong with banks, industries and the FED right now to think this is some sort of turn around.

and if oil is tanking -WHY ISN'T GAS GOING DOWN TO WHERE IT WAS WHEN WE WERE AT $120????

Honestly, something just stinks here. Anyway, there is no more news to pump the markets after today. They have played every card and still businesses are going under (and banks are still i n trouble), unemployment is too high and the cost of living is not being truthfully reported (cause they are leaving out the everyday consumables in their numbers (food/gas, etc.) - oh and today Morgan Stanley was hired to analyze Freddie & Fannie? What the hey is that? Think about it. There are gov't agencies that are suppossed to be regulating these things - why are they hiring an private agency that probably has cooked books in the first place?

None of this makes any sense.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

This is what Mum used to refer to when she said , Don't dip your hands into the Cookie Jar......well, this is no Cookie Jar, this is a huge Scam Jar.

Keep Away from the Scam Stock Market Rouges

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
and if oil is tanking -WHY ISN'T GAS GOING DOWN TO WHERE IT WAS WHEN WE WERE AT $120????

It is. As I type this, gasoline is sitting at 2.9376 on the commodities market. I assume you're talking about the price at the pump though, which is a little different. You're not going to see that price at the pump come down dramatically for at least a few weeks after the commodity price drops. The gas stations filled up their tanks when the price was 3.50 just weeks ago and they need to sell that higher priced gas before they can get into the current priced gas. If they dropped the pump prices to what they should be right now based on the commodity price (that would be $3.50ish in my area) they would be losing 50 cents per gallon and quickly go under.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I am a stockbroker of some 25 years - I *GUARANTEE* the accuracy of that chart is complete and utter BS.

JK

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join