It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olympics drugs scandal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Olympics drugs scandal

aca.ninemsn.com.au

Two documentary makers have exposed how easy it is for athletes to obtain performance enhancing drugs in Beijing, just days out from the start of the Olympics.
Footage to be aired on tonight's A Current Affair shows filmmakers Rob Punton and Huw Roberts being supplied with human growth hormones from a Chinese hospital less than 5km from the athlete's village.
Posing as an athlete, Punton is filmed buying steroids and then being injected with the drugs by a nurse.
After conducting a six-month investigation on the culture of drug taking in China, Roberts said China has a poor track record when it comes to performance enhancing drugs.
"From 1990 though to about 2003 they failed more drug tests than anyone else," he said.
"The interesting thing is China hasn't failed many drug tests in the last couple of years, so they've either cleaned up their act or they are hiding something."
It is likely doping amongst athletes will be rife at the Beijing games, Punton said.
"The problem is because testing is so poor we are not going to know the majority of cheats because there are clear ways of getting around all the tests."
The 15 minute extended video of the documentary will be available here on aca from 7pm AEST tonight. It is a cut down from the full 44 min version and that that would be release online on the 11 August.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/8/08 by iammonkey]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I watched this video last night. Well worth looking at. I don’t know how to get the video link to work, so click on the main link that I have posted and scroll down. its shows an guy under cover as an anthlic seeking human growth hormones and steroids and gets them with little or no I.D. To anyone who hasn’t had their head in the sand, this shouldn’t come as a surprise. Any way take a look

aca.ninemsn.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/8/08 by iammonkey]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
More ridiculous drug war nonsense (yes, the concern is rooted in that). If athletes want to take performance-enhancing drug, let them. If they're all do then all is fair again. It is always going to go on in any case.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I refuse to speak for anyone else , but when it comes to the Olympics and possible drugs scandels. I have this to say .
I DON'T REALLY CARE!!!
let them drug themselves, all it goes to prove is that those that take drugs are no good in their chosen fields. Real athletes don't need to take drugs to increase their performance, the ones that take drugs obviosuly think they're no good or not good enough to win. And their coaches and teams can't have much faith in them either to let them try to take drugs.
So again as for the Olympics . I DON'T CARE!
I won't be watching or reading any papers about it.
Besides Our English team ain't gonna be getting any medals unless there's a tea drinking , ram raiding, knife fighting or hoodie wearing event.

[edit on 5/8/08 by DataWraith]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
It has almost always nothing to do with addiction-causing drugs war. Those chemicals that athletes use usually do not cause addiction, they interfere with normal metabolism to let person achieve something better now on account of his future health. Athlete who do not want to use them will be in great disadvantage and in sports were seconds and grams are what it takes to win - it means that if person wants to achieve something he has to compromise his health. It is hardly a choice. If your boss will allow people to receive much higher benefits (paycheck, position and such) if they disregard their safety now ,and in the same time judge workers by their performance those who would not do it will eventually loose their job even if the boss is fair and does not force directly those regulations.
As for reasons why drugs are not found - or it is new drugs that lab analysis does not see or it is a drug that does its job long before the test could be taken (like red blood cell increasing type) and its effect is not known yet.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Why does it matter if the athletes have access to performance enhancing drugs, if they all need to go through rigorous anti-doping testing before and after the events?

new topics

top topics

join