It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Digital technology's effect on society

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2003 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I've started this thread here because it seems more appropriate than any other forum.

This is something that has my keen personal and professional interest. I firmly believe that "digital" technology is to this generation as "electrical" technology was to the generation of the 1920's - 1930's. Following that line of thinking, the Internet is to digital as television was to electricity.

Consider the profound effect digital technology has had on society for the past 30 years. In this short period, the digital computer has become the dominant technology that is pervasive across nearly every aspect of our lives.

The discussion could lead down several paths, but I'd like to start with this one:

MMORPG -- Massively Mutliplayer Online Role Playing Games

Two new games enter this arena that are less of a game, and more of a social community.

The Sims Online: www.ea.com...
There: www.there.com...

More importantly, the latter, There, is an amazing concept that has been in development for four years. The ultimate goal is a 100% artificial world in which it may be possible for experienced users to derive real income.

Thoughts?

posted on Jan, 9 2003 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Will reply more later, but are you familiar with the research published on Mucks and Muds?

posted on Jan, 9 2003 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I'm waiting for them to come with a Quake III Arena, (or similar) version...

posted on Jan, 9 2003 @ 03:08 PM
link   
There's another MMORPG that allow's you to 'earn' real world money. It's called Project-Entropia . Although I think this game is nothing more of a scam.

Another good one that just recently went pay to play at only $5 dollar's a month is CyberTown . This one is played through your web browser and programmed in VRML. I've heard rumor's that you will be able to earn real money as well as virtual if your a paying member.

You could alway's stick with game's like EQ or UO and earn money that way. I've often thought of doing it from time to time!

top topics

join