It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 'Ask An Australian' Thread.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azador
How'd you feel about the hiding the Wallabies got on the weekend(i have selective memory so dont bring up the week before haha)?
How does it feel to have a Kiwi coach the Wallabies?
Can you send all my relatives and friends back home to me?

P.s you guys can keep Russell Crowe hes a toss.

Im not big on rugby, but to me personally doesn't matter as long as they are winning...but ill admit, the reality is Kiwis play better!

As for Kurt Russel, we dont want him either, send him to Tasmania.

[edit on 5-8-2008 by q_ball]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
As for Russel Crowe, yes he is a toss, but as long as he Owns the Bunnies he is OK by me....
*Walks aways singing...Glory Glory to South Sydney....*

Azador,
as for the weekend, what happened to the Warriors..I mean worriErs...

[edit on 5/8/2008 by VIKINGANT]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Just a heads up, i'm an aussie, and would like to point out some tidbits some may not realise...

Nicole Kidman was born in Hawaii - technically not Aussie, although grew up here

Russell Crowe... isn't he from New Zealand? Same as Sam Neil (born Ireland i believe)

Mel Gibson - also not an aussie, born in an US Airforce base. I hope i got my facts right there

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Im a Marty

And unfortunately Kylie, Germain Greer and Rolf Harris ARE Australian....at least they have moved to the UK
Why are the goods ones not from here.......

Also, on the Vegemite thing, even as an Aussie born and bred, who can explain Vegemite and lettuce sangers?!?!??! Vege and cheese is one thing but lettuce?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
vegemite and cheese is the way to go, never heard of it with lettuce though..sounds disgusting!

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   

I've seen it done...I refuse to try it. the thing is, it was done by a Kiwi...That might explain alot. Pack of marmite eaters. What do they know about fine foods!?!?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
+1 for vegemite and cheese on a salada! Gotta be tasty cheese though, the thought of having it with processed stuff makes me feel sick.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

I can actually say I miss Vegemite ... now that I live overseas and can't get it

Never been a huge fan of the stuff but I do get the taste for it occasionally on toast or with butter on salada (Vegemite worms! lol)

I love tasty cheese on my crumpets mmmmmmmmmmm *drools*

I could always send for some but eh the butter, and even bread, just ain't the same as it is in Aus.

Our food rocks! There is none like it anywhere.

So glad I saw this thread q_ball, I am so homesick and this helped

[edit on 5-8-2008 by ImJaded]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
dang, i really wanted a koala.

I tried Vegemite a few years ago, but did not care for it much. My folks got me some when they visited. I am sure you are right, that it is an acquired taste.

ok, another question. I am curious and just don't know too much about Australia.

What are you feelings on Steve Irwin?
Did he (when he was alive) do anything with education/fundraising to help the environment or animal habitats? Does his wife/family/foundation do anything now?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
A few questions:

1. Why is there an abundance a bad facial hair on Aussie adults? (Male and Female!)

2. Where did the myth that Aussies are big drinkers come from? (Everyone I have met has been absolutely crap and were bladdered after 8 pints, and I've met quite a few).

3. Why are the Aussies so much better at sport than the we Brits? (Except football but I suspect it won't be long before you can beat us at that as well!)

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

I can actually say I miss Vegemite ... now that I live overseas and can't get it

Never been a huge fan of the stuff but I do get the taste for it occasionally on toast or with butter on salada (Vegemite worms! lol)

I love tasty cheese on my crumpets mmmmmmmmmmm *drools*

I could always send for some but eh the butter, and even bread, just ain't the same as it is in Aus.

Our food rocks! There is none like it anywhere.

So glad I saw this thread q_ball, I am so homesick and this helped

[edit on 5-8-2008 by ImJaded]

Hi Imjaded, never new you where an aussie! good to see that im helping!! are you over seas atm are you?

Originally posted by fishneedh2o
dang, i really wanted a koala.

I tried Vegemite a few years ago, but did not care for it much. My folks got me some when they visited. I am sure you are right, that it is an acquired taste.

ok, another question. I am curious and just don't know too much about Australia.

What are you feelings on Steve Irwin?
Did he (when he was alive) do anything with education/fundraising to help the environment or animal habitats? Does his wife/family/foundation do anything now?

Steve wasnt really a big deal to me until he passed away. The tragedy was he was very young and doing some thing he loved, he was doing a lot to preserve Australian heritage. But it wasnt some thing personally affected me, like it was sad that he passed away but not every one knows him personally! I think his wife now, is continuing some form of animal preservation etc

Originally posted by Freeborn
A few questions:

1. Why is there an abundance a bad facial hair on Aussie adults? (Male and Female!)

2. Where did the myth that Aussies are big drinkers come from? (Everyone I have met has been absolutely crap and were bladdered after 8 pints, and I've met quite a few).

3. Why are the Aussies so much better at sport than the we Brits? (Except football but I suspect it won't be long before you can beat us at that as well!)

I guess i dont know. I find its usually on mondays and we look better on fridays here so we can go out ...but i hope im not an example...im not too well shaven...maybe if members ask ill show a pic of me on a friday in the office lol

Drinkers? well we are bigger then the americans. If your in UK you can def drink more. BUT as far as I know english and irish can out drink an aussie. Im not a big drinker but thats what life has taught me.

Right now i think we have a lot of talent due to migrant population and also trying to make a name before Olympics. Also its part of our national identity has always been, so its encouraged every where. Like over the last 5 years sports is becoming a bigger deal and we playng on a more and more international level ive observed.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by q_ball

I guess i dont know. I find its usually on mondays and we look better on fridays here so we can go out ...but i hope im not an example...im not too well shaven...maybe if members ask ill show a pic of me on a friday in the office lol

Ha, I don't know but there just seems to large numbers of people who are not only unshaven but have beards a la ZZ Top and tashes like Merv Hughes! ( n that's just the Shiela's! LOL)

Drinkers? well we are bigger then the americans. If your in UK you can def drink more. BUT as far as I know english and irish can out drink an aussie. Im not a big drinker but thats what life has taught me.

I know it's a generalisation, and probably not something to brag about but it is my favourite pastime, but the only nationalities I have met who seem to have the same capacity for drink as us Brits are Germans and South African's!
I'm at a loss why Aussies have the reputation they do for drinking as it doesn't really seem to have as central role in society as it does in other countries.

Right now i think we have a lot of talent due to migrant population and also trying to make a name before Olympics. Also its part of our national identity has always been, so its encouraged every where. Like over the last 5 years sports is becoming a bigger deal and we playng on a more and more international level ive observed.

I think Australian governments have consistently invested in developing sporting achievement and have recognised how success on the world stage helps forge national unity and identity.
How I wish the PC brigade here in the UK would learn from the examples you have set.

I am sure you will gain more success in Beijing than we will.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Also speaking of Australian icons not being Australian, Vegemite is made by an American owned company. It surprises me that the US has tried to ban the product instead of promoting it…..
U.S. bans Vegemite?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

Hi all ... first post here from me.

Saw this thread and jumped straight in and registered.

I am an Aussie from South Australia and hope this thread can work both ways ... We can answer questions ,dispel myths re-assure visitors but also ask those outside our island why they say,think and feel about our home.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Another Aussie here!

The problem with non aussies and vegemite is that they spread it like nutella or honey. BBBiiiiiig mistake. Even WE dont eat it like that. Put lots of butter/margarine on the toast, and lightly spread the vegemite. Alternatively as other suggested, put cheese on it

Another theory I've heard about why Americans dont like vegemite is that your bread is sweeter than ours - which would make vegemite taste YUCK. its a special kind of savoury, so mixing it with sweet stuff is GROSS. You wouldn't have it on pancakes, or mix it with Jam/Jelly/Honey

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Entreri
its a special kind of savoury, so mixing it with sweet stuff is GROSS. You wouldn't have it on pancakes, or mix it with Jam/Jelly/Honey

Spot on! This is why it works with Salada and SAO’s
My kids love the stuff, but as you said. Not too thick.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

Come on Aussie's! The Only way to eat Vegemite is straight out of the Jar :w:
Yum Yum.

Oh and has anybody heard of the Drop Bear? hehe...

Great Thread OP!

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Exactly, it has to spread lightly. Totally agree with Viking

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by q_ball
Exactly, it has to spread lightly. Totally agree with Viking

Ohhhhh no, i spread it so it gives me a reason to have quick eze.. (for heart burn) I LOVE the taste!!

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   

LOL Quick Eze? LOL hahahaha

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join