It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do schools have the authority to spend taxes on Football?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
My school district has been spending tons of money on the football team. Just recently a whirl pool tub was put in for the players to relax in.

The problem I have is im paying taxes on my house that go to the school. I dont care about football, and im finding out the majority of the teachers in the school are not teachers, but football coaches.

When I was in school Football was payed for by fund raising, not through taxes. Is there a law against this??

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Football is a religion in Texas.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
No, there isn't a law...it's part of the co-curricular experience that schools provide, just like music programs, student council, and various other clubs and organizations. Just because you aren't interested in it, doesn't mean that a lot of other people aren't, I'm sure there are things you are interested in that deserve to be funded but other people might not like.
Incidentally, you might want to make sure it wasn't paid for by a booster club, they tend to buy things like that quite often.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
obviously the agenda isn't education but rather tuning out ultra competitive
bozos who get a passing grade today even if they can't read a map,can't read period or can not deduce anything on their own.
mindless repeaters of lies is what they want and trust me they get what they want.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Damn. I wish we had a whirl pool. Just be glad the kids that are playing football are playing football, and not out on the streets doing whatever. How did you know they bought the whirl pool anyway?

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by solo1

Please be nice to the mindless bozos..some of them could be reading your post. *hint*

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by robwerden

School officials can spend money on football. You will know if they are wasting money on football if your schools SAT test scores are in the toilet ,or not many of the students in your area go on to graduate from college. If you are lucky enough to be in a rich school district then the whirl pool might not have been a significant part of the budget. If you are in a poor school system and the pool was not bought via booster money then your school has a corruption problem.

[edit on 4-8-2008 by eradown]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
i would think as long as the funding doesnt detract from the education its ok, but if they were cutting funding to music, art or sciences to fund this then it would be something of a travesty.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
You may want to consider contacting your local school district and asking for copies of the school's budget for extracurricular activities. You're paying property taxes in the district, you have the right to know how your tax dollars are being spent. I'd put in a call to the district office and ask if they could provide you with a copy of the budget for the football program, including recent (i.e. the whirl pool in question) purchases.

However, if you do go this route, bear in mind that you'll be talking to (in all probability) a secretary who may have to locate the coach, make the necessary copies, and get back to you, in addition to whatever she/he is doing on a day-to-day basis. You probably won't be able to just call up and get a dollar figure, but if you're polite and patient you should be able to get an answer to your question.

If that doesn't work, consider writing a letter to the school board.

You may want to find out where this whirl pool is located in the school (if you don't already know) and whether or not use of the pool really is restricted to the football team. My high school had one which was open to use by anyone participating in any athletic program, provided that it was related to an injury or an approved physical therapy regimen - although some of the coaches were a bit more liberal in terms of what they deemed "therapeutic" than others...

Also, bear in mind that White Chapel might well be correct in suggesting that the booster club paid for the tub. Getting your hands on the budget for the football program would be a good way to find that out.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
some schools do provide for thier football more than any other team even if they dont win. The fund for my school last year was split between the football and basket ball teams with a little going to the rest of the teams. I being on the wrestling team see this first-hand and am sick of it we win more than the football team we deserve more but corruption is every where. most of our stuff comes from booster club; rooms for overnight trips, busses, warm-ups.

your system is just like the others you have a athletic director that cant see what is realy important.

new topics

top topics

join