It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Myth of Scarcity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
www.wakeupfromyourslumber.com...

Perhaps the single most devastating myth on earth. . .

Is that of scarcity . . .

Not enough food.

Not enough land.

Not enough water.

Not enough oil.

Not enough love . . .

Not enough of ANYTHING that's needed for everyone on earth to thrive and survive.

And of course I would be remiss not to include the MOTHER OF ALL MYTHS - that there is NOT ENOUGH MONEY to go around.

NOTHING can be further from the truth.

But, most people lack the knowledge or imagination to see through the LIES.

The problem is that this mega myth of scarcity is a self-fulfilling prophecy that destroys our lives.

Those who embrace it invariably panic and, in a mad rush, chase after every resource they can lay their hands on, before it's all taken.

The strong, the crafty, and those who get there first, hoard large swathes of resources - PILE IT HIGH AND SIT ON IT - while the weak, the honest, and the young are left struggling just to survive

www.wakeupfromyourslumber.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
You really have something with this thread. Scarcity IS a myth, but a necessary myth as the first building block of the "social contract".

At some point in the history of humanity when we were hunters/gatherers social hierarchy was mostly dictated by strength. But at some point in time four people walked into a room and there were only three apples on the table, resulting in scarcity.

Once you have real or perceived scarcity you need social/political/religious mechanisms to distribute the apples. And of course whomever gets to decide the distribution wants scarcity to remain a constant.

Every war, revolution, crusade is at the end of the day about who gets the aforementioned apples. A good example of this is the diamond industry. Diamonds are actually very common, but because they are controlled by a couple of families, they can generate all the artificial scarcity they want. And since scarcity equals value, if you control scarcity you control everything. Same thing with OPEC etc.

Fundamentally, all social institutions exist only to distribute a perceived scarcity, and to convince you that you need protection from others because of said scarcity.

It's always been about the apples.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I here what your saying...

But let me interject a little humorous example that i belive makes my point...

You can't tell me scarcity doesnt exist, when at a party there is 12 guys and 2 girls... For 12/14 people, there IS a scaceity...

On a global scale, not so much, in your place and time... DEFINALTY...

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero
I here what your saying...

But let me interject a little humorous example that i belive makes my point...

You can't tell me scarcity doesnt exist, when at a party there is 12 guys and 2 girls... For 12/14 people, there IS a scaceity...

On a global scale, not so much, in your place and time... DEFINALTY...

That takes me to my next point.
Scarcity is the eye of the beholder.
In your example, whilst you experience scarcity, the women are experiencing plethora.
But this has to do more with relativity than scarcity.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
While there is some entertainment value in the philosophical approach to this thread, it seems noteworthy that there is a common denominator in our apparent sudden abundance of scarcities.

Those who accept them as truths must live under the constant pall of apprehension for the future. Now why is it that mankind is constantly beings 'pumped' with 'bad' news? What purpose, in societal models, does it serve to reinforce public apprehension?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
That takes me to my next point.
Scarcity is the eye of the beholder.

Oh, god, i wasnt prepared for that...

I nearly choked on my dinner...

I guess if your gay, then being surrounded by a bunch of guys wouldnt be a problem...

But lets just ignore the perverts for now..

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

Gay? Perverts? Are you for real?

[edit on 6/8/08 by dave420]

top topics

join