It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oprah Winfrey Is Openly Trying To Destroy Biblical Christianity

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
MandM Props to you!

Boy. you really have started something here...I agree with my Coor's Light Commercial...

BRILLIANT!

As I read the various comments, I am drawn to the salutation in one of the greatest movies ever made...THE MISSION...with Jeremy Irons and Robert DeNiro...

After all are dead the screen says...

"The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it." John 1:5

He who has hears...

???????????????

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by amitheone

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Originally posted by amitheone

Originally posted by MandM
It is absolutely true.

Oprah Winfrey is trying to use her celebrity status as a religious hammer that will destroy Biblical Christianity and redefine it into something else forever.

If she wants to believe her own invented version, whatever rocks her boat. The bible will always be there and people will always find ways to twist the truth.

I hate to break this to you, but unless you were there a couple of thousand years ago, all you or anyone else has is YOUR own invented version. Read your Gnostic bible, read something, either way No One has a monopoly to the truth.

This is not about monopoly of the truth, this is simply about reading the Bible correctly since she based it on the Bible and twisted the truth there. So, one must point out the errors and not turn a blind eye on it.

Why single out the Bible? She could use other religions, like Islam and start from there. She could start that Mohammed is not a prophet and allah is not the only way.

I mean, if she want to start her own religious movement and promote it, don't use an already established religion like Christianity, distort it to fit your own philosophy. Use Hinduism as there are literally millions of gods to choose from. Perhaps, these millions of gods is not too popular or unknown in the US, and it won't have much impact to sensationalize and make the whole thing controversial. So, use Christianity instead in order to promote her beliefs.

My guess would be she uses the Christian bible as an example because that's pretty much the most major influence in america, where she is from.
If she were from an Islamic country, she probably would be using Islam and the Koran as an example,
Any way, if you really are a true beliver, it wouldn't bother you at all, you'd be turning the other cheek or something, I'm sure.

[edit on 5-8-2008 by firsttimecaller]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Is christianity so weak that a talk show host can "destroy" it? I wouldn't want to follow any faith that is so fracking weak that another view point would hurt it. This type of crap is the reason I'm agnostic. Whatever happened to "love one another."Didn't Jesus hang with tax collectors,whores,thugs in an effort to show them a better way? Those folks didn't believe in much of anything and He still loved and cared enough about them to try to help. Didn't the ones who were responsible for his death use that for one of excuses for having Him put in prison?

God loves Oprah just as much as He loves you and me.He loves her and you dislike her and fear her ideas. How stupid is that? How do some of you so called christians justify that? NEWS FLASH......Jesus loves gay people as well.Jesus love those who have had and participated in abortions.Jesus loves those who doesn't believe in Him. Jesus love muslims.Jesus love hindus.Jesus loves Jose Consaco. Jesus loves............

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by clg79

I personally don't agree with Oprah. Not because she is black, but because she claims to be "African American" and yet her people still suffer. Then she turns it all around for the betterment of herself to feed off the naiveness of the viewers. She could be doing more with her money then giving people special packages under their seats.

Didn't she Build and fund a school for girls in Africa some where?
www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org...

Just to clarify, I find Oprah a bit insipid at the best of times, but fear mongering bible thumpers who flip out when someone disagrees with their ideas and belifes, now they really annoy me.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by amitheone

The bible is very old and has been translated into English from another language which does not always accurately pass the true meaning of the words. It has been edited more than once( King James version) and we know now from the discovery of the dead sea scrolls that important chapters such as the book of Enoch have been left out. Why? Do you truly believe that the actions of Christian based ideology over the past 2000 years reflects what Jesus was imparting during his mission? The wars, the torture, the hatred. I think what people are saying here is that you need to use your own discernment, your own heart which God gave you to help find the Truth. Realize that the powers that be in Religion and the deception they created are for their own power and control.It is hard to comprehend the Divine mind with the human mind, we are so oriented towards good,bad,right,wrong that we humanize our concept of God and the powers that have resided in high places know this." Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is Truth and you know it's true. You will be amazed if you take the time to research the history of what has happen to the bible over the past 2000 years.
Love people it always helps, spend some time with very small children and learn what it means to judge not.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Well i don't see anything wrong with believing that Jesus came here to teach us as well as to die for us, i have never believed anything else, ie Christians follow the teachings of Christ. I didn't hear her say anything about gays, or abortions, or heaven , or hell.

Quite honestly though i could care less what Oprah preaches, she holds no importance to me. The woman doesn't have a single thought in her head that truely belongs to her, Her beliefs are based on whoever she's enamored with at the moment be it Dr.Oz, DR. Phil,Maya Angeleou, her trainer,etc. She hasn't got a sincere bone in her body, it's all a facade.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MandM

C'mon...don't be so naive. Especially in the last 5-10 years, there have been a lot of people 'leaving the church' due to circumstances. Priests molesting children, segregating the homosexual population and treating them like scum, condemning parishioners for not giving enough money to the church... I was raised Catholic and I left the Church at the age of 20 due to my disgust at the actions of religious institutions. Not all, but most...

I don't necessarily agree with everything Oprah has to say, but I give her credit for going against the masses. She is speaking for a lot of people out there who are fed up with religious institutions acting more like businesses. The Vatican oppressed people for years, forced people to convert (hello Inquisition...Crusades...). The God I believe in wouldn't torture people, take away their freedom, make them convert against their will. The God I believe in would not turn a man away because he feels love for another man instead of a woman. Love is good, all around. If I were God, I would rather take a loving homosexual into heaven vs. an abusive, murderous heterosexual. The God I believe in is being abused and misrepresented by the Church. I largely blame the government for turning myth into fact. Jesus started as a symbol of faith, but turned into an actual person. Tell me, why is it that there is little to no documentation of Jesus by historians that lived during his time??

I'm just saying...there is a lot of FACT contradicting everything the Church has ever said. Oprah's view is not a conspiracy. It's called opening your eyes and not believing everything the government serves to you on a silver platter.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I don't understand why this is an issue. I pretty much agree with all those things that she's "teaching" to her followers.

OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH.........I see. You believe the OPPOSITE of those ideals...so, you want to push YOUR beliefs on people instead of letting a celebrity do the influencing....???

Ok, gotcha buddy

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I think one of the bigger issues that has been missed is, Oprah is misrepresenting Christianity. She is calling herself a Christian and not
recognizing, or relaying the message of the gospel I agree with some of the posters
that have stated Oprah's remarks should not rock your faith, though only to a certain extent. If someone is a new believer, than their faith likely will not be as strong or as firmly grounded as a person who has been a believer for several years. More vulnerable still is the person who is in the midst of making the choice for salvation.

Whether I like Oprah or not has nothing to do with how influential she is all over the world. Many people listen to what she has to say. When anyone goes forth and claims to belong to any group, then one must be able to at least explain the essence behind the belief of that group. The real dilemma here is, not whether or not she holds the same belief as i do but that she is claiming to have those same beliefs and ommiting the reason
people identify with Christianity in the first place. Christ. I apologize if
this seems confusing. It would have been better if she had said, "these are my spiritual beliefs" and not claimed to be a Christian.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

I appreciate your post and understand the distinction you're making. However, how much of what Oprah promotes is she doing in accordance with her own beliefs? Meaning, can't she promote the wide variety of authors and ideas without her own personal religion coming into the mix?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by chise61
Well i don't see anything wrong with believing that Jesus came here to teach us as well as to die for us, i have never believed anything else . . .

The woman doesn't have a single thought in her head that truely belongs to her, Her beliefs are based on whoever she's enamored with at the moment be it Dr.Oz, DR. Phil,Maya Angeleou, her trainer,etc. She hasn't got a sincere bone in her body, it's all a facade.

Uh huh?

You have never believed anything else.

Oprah is searching.

Says a lot to me.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by thrashee

Yes, she absolutely can. But how can she claim Christianity for herself in a spiritual sense if she denies the fundemental principles true Christianity
was founded on? Jesus Christ paying the ultimate sacrifice for our sins so that we may have eternal life. In other words, how can you have one without the other?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus
It would have been better if she had said, "these are my spiritual beliefs" and not claimed to be a Christian.

Many people who believe in metaphysics and spirituality - also believe in Christ.

There are thousands of Christian sects - - who differ on what they believe. I've been in discussions where Christians are arguing who/what is a true Christian.

Bible scholars don't even agree fully on interpretation of the bible.

Oprah did not "twist" anything. She simply says what she believes.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus
reply to post by thrashee

Yes, she absolutely can. But how can she claim Christianity for herself in a spiritual sense if she denies the fundemental principles true Christianity
was founded on? Jesus Christ paying the ultimate sacrifice for our sins so that we may have eternal life. In other words, how can you have one without the other?

I believe Christ was a prophet. I do not believe he is son of god or died on the cross for our sins.

I do believe he was sent to earth to guide man spiritually and if I want to call myself Christian - - you can damn straight believe I will.

Do not tell me - - what I have to believe or follow to call myself Christian.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

Well, admittedly, I don't know much about what she's claiming for herself when she endorses or hosts other spiritual methods or teachings.

But I would say that if the true crux of Christianity is Christ, you could still very much believe in Christ while holding other spiritual tenets to be true.

[edit on 5-8-2008 by thrashee]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Annee,

Hi! Appreciate your input…

Hope all is well…

You said, “…I believe Christ was a prophet. I do not believe he is son of god or died on the cross for our sins….”

Here’s a simple, probably silly, illustration for you to consider, over the years, as you grow…

Remember Back to the Future and the Delorian (sp?) Imagine if you were Micheal J Fox and someone asked you to go to five (only 5) different time zones/geographical areas and meet one person in each time zone/area and ask them, "please write a book about God, I'll be back in 5 years to collect it."

Five years later you went and picked up the five books. Logically speaking what are the chances those five books would agree? What are the chances those five books would build upon one another? What are the chances you could make any semblance out of them...to live by or the like? Snowballs in your know where, right?

Different people! Different cultures! Difference Time frames! Different Premises! Different World view! etc...

Logically speaking you would have five unconnected books with five different perspectives, right?

Well, the Bible (torah, prophets, gospels, epistles, revelation) are not 5 books by five authors, but 66 books by 40 authors...who did not know one another, did not live in the same town, did not live in the same time line...authors were of every occupation and financial status........yet......the Bible is a one-themed, continuing story.

Doesn't prove it God's Word yet though...just something that might warrant another look.

Point 2 ---- Here's an undisputable fact (I believe at least after examining) Jesus of Nazareth claimed to be God, his followers claimed He claimed to be God...and...non Christian journalist (such as Josephus) claimed He claimed he was God. Doesn't appear here to be different agendas going on. He said it, His followers said He said it, third parties said He said it and even his enemies said He said it (Sanhedrin, Pharisees, etc)

SO...with all that said...we have only two LOGICAL outcomes. No religious double-talk here) Either you BELIEVE or you REJECT. Really no other options right? If you believe, then to you HE IS LORD. If you REJECT there are really only two options for you.

1) JC knew he wasn't telling the truth, therefore he would be A LIAR
2) JC didn't know he wasn't telling the truth, therefore he would be A LUNATIC.

That's the only three logical outcomes...LIAR, LUNATIC or LORD.

There is no room for him being a good guy and all, no room for him being a prophet as every other religion on the face of the earth calls him.
Because prophets don't lie and they are not usually in psych wards.

Point 3 ---- Most direct followers were killed for believing in JC. If they had stole his body and the Romans excused, at least one of them would have squilled just before their execution right? I would have...

but NO-All these ordinary folks were willing to die for what they saw…
======
I’ve posted this a few times, and the response has been great…this is a great website, with a large amount of brilliant posters…

JESUS CAN NOT BE (JUST) A PROPHET, BECAUSE THEY DON’T LIE…

Please reconsider…and if you are up to further research, google “EVIDENCE THAT DEMANDS A VERDICT” BY Josh McDowell…

Again, your post was appreciated!

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Well OldThinker

Those are your thoughts and opinions.

They are not really relevant to what I believe - which I am not going to detail here. If I said Jesus was a hybrid light being - too many in here would go off the deep end.

As I've said - there are truths in the bible - the bible is not truth.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Uh huh?

You have never believed anything else.

Oprah is searching.

Says a lot to me.

Yes as far as Jesus Christ is concerned i have always believed that he was here to teach us as well as die for us.

No i have never believed anything else as far as Jesus is concerned. Does this somehow offend you ?

Oprah can search all she wants, it is her right to do so, it's just not important to me. I used to watch her show for many years, actually since her first season, and IMHO she is fake, therefore i lost interest in anything she had to say years ago.

You'll have to explain just exactly what it is that you're eluding to in your reply to me as i'm having a hard time reading between the lines.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I believe Jesus to be a gay prostitute who preached love all around as long as the money is good
. I really could care less that some little sensitive bible thumper gets a lil riled up. I say if Oprah can single handly destroy at least one useless religion than go for it. I doubt she can though.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by chise61

Yes as far as Jesus Christ is concerned i have always believed that he was here to teach us as well as die for us.

No i have never believed anything else as far as Jesus is concerned. Does this somehow offend you ?

NO does not offend me. Were you assimilated?

But it is limiting and makes it clear - since you have never questioned or searched beyond that - you will never have any understanding of what others believe.

So I find you having an opinion of other's like Oprah sharing their belief insulting.

I at least was raised Christian - understand it - and by choice do not believe it.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join