It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What am I invisible!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I've been on ats for 3 years, the loooooooooooooong years, since 2005. I like this place, not for the discussions, but for the news bits about space, aliens, government, 9/11, spirituality etc. It's the only place were I can go and indulge my natual interests. But one thing bothers me. Everytime I try to be helpfull in someone's post no one knows I exist. But when I act like a troll or dick 10 people notice, and those 10 people have something awful to say. I post an idea, I get called illogical. But it's understanble that science has proof in the form of hard drugs. Makes alot of sense doesn't it? A hoaxer might get 20 flags, 50 subsciptions, and 10 pages full of content. But I get ignored. If I had an alien head on a stick, no one would notice. Are you guys sure that there's alot of intelligent people on ats? I certainly haven't seen any for 2 years. Anyway, thanks for the rant, I feel better. If anyone cares to read this.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Ive made a few posts that have blended into the woodwork as well. It can be very frustrating. I think that the reason you get more of a response when you troll is because that type of behavior isnt appreciated here. You will no doubt get ten or more people chewing you out.

What I find funny is when I see someone trolling, then a someone tell them how bad trolling is and then is an A*shole right back. Kind of hypocritical huh?

My only halfway decent advice is to just look for threads involving something that you know a whole lot about. Then post in their. your will look real smart and hopefully be taken more seriously.

I hope this helps. Even a litle bit. Most people here (in my opinion) truly mean well.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
It's called sensationalism. I post things and don't many comments sometimes, other times I do.
To be honest, I don't think I've ever even seen you till today. Maybe you are invisible lol.
Seriously though, maybe what you've posted in a reply has already been discussed? Maybe what you think you know has already been debunked? I don't know bro, like I said ealier, this is the first time I've ever even seen you. I notice that you have a pretty low amount of points though, maybe some of the things you've posted are not worded right and sound mean? Happens to me sometimes.

-Jimmy

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by malakiem

it happens to everyone, people have their favs and will ignore you in favor of their fav posters.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I know this sounds silly, but a lot of people don't focus much on names, but look more on avatars, haha. So a lot of people read posts and know them from past threads by their avatar and then they learn their name. Also your name for some reason is easy to forget.

So maybe try to get an avatar?

[edit on 4-8-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   

This is hysterical. I was just talking to another member on here privately who wanted to know why their threads didn't get a lot of replies. After looking through them, I noticed how polite and non controversial they make their threads. While others are saying '100% PROOF of [Insert some outlandish claim, an attack on a certain ideology, or blatant insult here]' my friend would open the floor to questions or politely express their opinion. It's a fact: People thrive on conflict. It happens all the time around here: You are nice and people will walk past you like wall paper but the trolls who drop the drama bombs get flocked to. It's not you, though. Just people.

Also, I suggest getting an avatar. Many members have admitted to glossing over the posts of members without avatars.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I'm ignoring you now...............just kidding!

But I totally agree with Pheonix and Ashley about the avatar. You could tell me your name, you could write your name on my forhead or I could read your name 30 times and still not remember it. I'm terrible with names. But avatars I do remember and am able to attach a name to it.

So I think that's great advice. Make a statement about yourself with your avatar.

But yeah, it's the nature of the game here at ATS. The more far out there.......waaaaaaaay far out there the claim is the more interest it generates. I think that people want so badly for some truth to be behind these claims no matter how far fetched they are. And they will all but ignore any logical or reasonable posts.

Rush

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Heys guys! Thanks for the replies, I feel better now. If I ever see any of you at a ufo conference, i'll be sure to lend a big fat hug. I actually used to have an avatar of a goth guy. But it looked a little strange on ats, so I took it off. But I haven't thought up a decent avatar yet. Anyway, you guys don't know how much I appreciate some kind words, thanks again
Take care guys

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Hey i feel you man...

The posts that you pour your heart into, get pushd to the Wayside... just a couple responses, IF THAT...

Then there have been threads i start, where i expect nothing, and wiithin a day i have 200 replys...

Some of it goes into at What Time of Day you post, when the headlines refresh, and NEW top flaged threads get put up...

You can't control where your thread goes... When you have a thread that gets 200 replys in a day, most of it is garbage, and the point is lost.

One thing you could do is to get an avatar, that way, people will INSTANTLY be able to see who you are and connect. People could read your posts OVER and OVER, but not remember you because you have no 'personality'... No avatar, no quote in your sig that is indicative of your culture..

Give us something, and we return...

To start with, add a sig, and im sure there are TONS of people that will make an avatar for you, someone made this for me, people are very nice here.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I can see the problem.

"Dark mage". As a shadow creature, your 'familiar' is simply devoid of sufficient photonic emphasis.

Now, obnoxiously bright mage might be a bit too much. So aim for something in the middle.

AsheyD might have a point, also. Get a way cool avvy and some animated flashy eyes and people will start to notice you.

But don't despair, we all have posts which we feel are info-dense, but which are glossed over in favor of drama-licious commentary.

Hang in there, good buddy.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I know the feeling. I thought it was just coz I was new (relatively) or maybe its coz I rub alot of people the wrong way. There are time I write what I think is a valid or intelligent(rare) thread/post and get squat but then I write a 'throwaway' thread out of bordom or silly mood and it goes crazy. I guess you just can't pick what works or what doesn't. Depends on timing and who is on at the time.

There could well be a clique thing going on too. I have noticed some threads where a handful of people chat back and forth while other posters are seemingly ignored.

Oh. go with the Avvy thing too. Maybe mine needs upgrading?

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I post all the time and my threads are largely ignored, but I'm sure that whoever is meant to hear the message will find it.

JJB's right... you want a bunch of replies, try sensationalism. Not my style though.

Oh, and it's probably a psychological thing, but I tend to notice people more when they have an avatar.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I cared to read your post, so you are certainly not invisible to me.

And I think you have a good point - many times it seems like a lot of folks in this forum like drama, bashing and personal attacks a lot more than posts that in a calm and neutral way tries to provide fact and info... I guess the pure facts are just boring to many people.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I didn't know were to put this on the internet, so I decided to put it here. I couldn't find much on the internet, so I don't know what to search for. Maybe someone can lend me an idea, who knows. Lately, there's so many questions that I have about myself. About things around me. And things that have to do with god, aliens, and even ghosts. I look at all the 4 major religions and the 1 big philosophy, and I get nothing, no answers, just more confusion. The question arises, what If I walk the path of of jesus, buddha, mohhamed, or even krisha. Who says that it's gonna bump me up into heaven? Why can't there be an answer or thought that doesn't take people to be complete morons. Since islam's creation, there have been no new philosophies or even ideas that could evolve humanity just a little more. No knew ways to get englightment, or break the cycle of the physical world. So, as I sit here, I still wonder if there is a god. Are aliens real? Do ghosts really exist? Were can I find love and compassion. I don't mean to bust on atheists, but I must pull them into this rant to. If you do not wish to follow the religions or philosophies of earth. You can be scientific and search for the truth, but there the promise of not existing anymore. What a person doesn't want this, and isn't happy with the idea. But must choose between this or nothing. Why is it a choice? Why do we have to choose? If we lived our lives with love and compassion. People that we meet might not give us it in return. I know for my last sentance, why can't the universe, life, or the earth herself. Why can't these three things give up there secrets and there knowledge. Hope this made sense, I'm not directly attacking someone's religion or un-religion. I wish there wasn't a choice to make. I wish people, instead of killing each other, really used there noggins to move humanity along. If there's so much creativity out there, why can't people apply that to an answer, a philosophy, or something worth meaning.

ps: oh man, I'll jsut put this little gem here. I don't want to open a new thread and make the mods annoyed.

[edit on 5-8-2008 by malakiem]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I have the same problem, but then again I get that everywhere I go. I have come to realize that it's part my fault as well. Kind of a combination of me being too weird and then shy, quiet and anti-social on top of it AND then people seem to not try to get to know me until I say or do something that they don't like.

What's really bad is when you post some advice and get no response but then one of the more well known members post the exact same thing and get a whole mess of praise.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Let's get malakiem a nice avatar so the posts stand out a bit more.
Put up your suggestions folks and see if malakiem likes one.

Here's one from me, I hope it's sized right.

My first attempt was too wide, I revised it.

[edit on 5/8/2008 by anxietydisorder]

top topics

join