It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think you could deal with the emotional stress of having to kill to survive

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I would be more worried about reading a 'no way could I do it for any reason' response.

Humans are a funny lot. We have all these rules and regulations, and yet, at heart we are a merciless hungry insatiable consuming natural instinctive killing machine.

We all are. We are designed for this, its what we are.

Those that say they are not just haven't faced a situation that shows them the true nature of being human. For that i am glad, but once you stared at the beast, well, you know just how the beast needs carving up and throwing on a BBQ.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
To answer the OP, I could deal with taking someone's life if they're a threat to me, or a threat to someone I felt the need to protect... ie: children or otherwise helpless persons, like a handicapped or elderly person. Actually, if the one posing the threat was a violent thug\bully type, I could off them, and go eat lunch. I'd feel about as much remorse as I do when I kill a cockroach. Probably less.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Yep, been there . Done that .

No problem.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Curiosity. When the SHTF So many people will be faced with this situation and i wanted to know how they felt they would cope.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I think I'd be OK about it, only if it was self defense. To kill someone for greed would tear my life apart and life as I know it would seize to exist. I really hope I'm never in that situation because I love to laugh not cry. I really don't know the answer to that and no one should know the answer. To be faced with that scenario will truly bring out the character in you and you'll know exactly who you are forever.

[edit on 8/5/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I think it would depend on the method.

I truly feel I could kill any person, be it friend or close relative or complete stranger and not feel any remorse. However, the causing of pain is repugnant to me and the thought of causing physical or emotional pain to others brings up strong emotions of sadness in me.

If the method were shooting to the head, where the person would not suffer. I believe I could take it. And if it were for my own survival I think it would help ease the emotional burden. One would probably be too concerned with matters of immediate survival for long reflection or emotional introspection.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Great topic. I would personally not like to think I would have no reaction to killing someone, but I do know that in my personal life I am very able to adapt and disconnect from many situations that would drive others mad.

I have been in lige threatening situations before and was ill-prepared to defend, but did so as best I could and lived to see another day. I have since armed myself and believe if it were a kill or be killed situation I would kill.

I think this is very different than say a soldier as they are trained to kill and see a LOT of death in a short period of time and some may have been unarmed or civilians. That would take its toll on anyone I think.

Sure it would be on my mind for a while, but I think in a kill or be killed situation I would be able to justify my actions in the long run and be ok with myself.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

All very true

Reminds me of a conversation that a friend and i was having a couple months ago. Someone had given him this whole line about world peace. I told him that it COULD NOT happen, people are naturally warlike. It's genetic, it's the nature of the beast to assert dominance by death and destruction.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I personally don't think i would have a problem with it in a situation where my kids, my wife, or my life were in danger. But like i told my wife when it came to my children her life wasn't safe if thats what it took to protect them.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
But like i told my wife when it came to my children her life wasn't safe if thats what it took to protect them.

Whoah! You said that to your wife??? Why would you say that? Even if it were true?

Would you tell one of your kids "just realize if I have to choose between saving you or your older brother, your going to be out of luck".

Would you say that to your kids? I would hope not because that is HORRIBLE. I don't care if your wife said she agreed and understood and "oh yes baby I would want you to save the children first too". You still should NOT have said that.

If I was married to a guy that had the nerve to TELL me something like that I would never forget it and it would errode a part of the relationship.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Many years ago I found out the answer to that for myself. I think a great many Americans would do what it took and agonize about it later. Many would freeze up and become just another body on the road. A few of us would have reactions that we didn't know we possessed.
I found out that I was wired for the Capt. Malcolm Reynolds philosophy: If you are part of my crew, I'll do anything for you, even risk my life. If you are not, I'll have a beer with you, do some business with you, or blow your brains out - it's all pretty much the same to me. Thankfully, most people seem to fall into the "crew" category. Do something against the crew and you are just another target.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
You want honesty so that is what I will give. The honest answer is "I have no idea" The other then a few million blood suckers My kill total consist of animals.

Like any survivalist I've often thought about it but I honestly have no clue If or how I would feel and deal after wards.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
To be honest, I feel that it depends on why I killed to survive. Was it killing to protect myself or a loved one, or was it because I simply wanted something another person possessed. I do believe that would make a difference, at least in the beginning.

I believe my understanding of justification in society plays into it. I live within our laws that state we don't kill people without specific justification which is defined and accepted by society. Given an apparent breakdown, do the laws change and if so, is it forever or just temporary. Killing in self defense is something I support because it is considered acceptable to society and in my own beliefs.

Does the situation change to survival, any way, any cost. I suspect survival instinct would eventually override part of a belief system that would cause me to fail to act in preventing demise and I would be accepting of that change. I certainly won't feel I or my rights are any less valuable then that of others.

Given my exposure to our world and the way society seems to cheat the system whenever possible, I wouldn't be surprised if I became just another unfeeling, non-regretting human trying to stay alive.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
like a few people have said here, if you have experianced death and murder than your more likly to be able to handle killing someone. Its not a good thing if you make a emotional reponse to someone when your about to do somthing but if they have done harm or are going to do harm then you dont make am emotional reponse you just kill them, its not hard.

I dont get why soilders moan about how bad it was in the army seeing loads of people die. You go in the army to experiance it, if you cant handle dont go in. Thats why I would like to go in because i would enjoy killing people who deserved it however, if it was genreal familes who were going about there day I would be quite distraught.

On the average, i would enjoy the thrill of killing or beating people up because its someone to take it out on.

happy days
:

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by deathpoet69I dont get why soilders moan about how bad it was in the army seeing loads of people die. You go in the army to experiance it, if you cant handle dont go in. Thats why I would like to go in because i would enjoy killing people who deserved it however, if it was genreal familes who were going about there day I would be quite distraught.

Aren't you a confused and twisted young pup. : )

In war you are fighting other soldiers, guys that joined up to protect which they loved. War is not pretty in any way. Realize in places like Iraq and Afghanistan there is NO regular army, they join up because they believe in the cause and they believe what they are doing is right.

If you have the lust for death well i won't judge, but don't be thinking that war will be the happy outlet. Unless you only care about legal consequences, killing in war is very complicated.

[edit on 6-8-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

No i would never tell my children that. And i didn't outright say it like that, what i said to her is no one is more important to me than my kids and i would do anything to protect them above all else. And she said she agreed, even if it meant losing her.
I'm a cold hearted asshole, but not to my family or friends.

[edit on 6-8-2008 by Anuubis]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by deathpoet69

There is a BIG difference between killing someone and just kicking their ass. You can't even compare the thrill of either one. I've trained for MMA fighting for 30 years and kicked many asses, and the adrenaline rush is really cool, but i've never killed anyone and am not sure the adrenaline rush will be the same. Or have the same gratification.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I know this is a little unorthodox.

I was wondering if a moderator could delete my previous post from this thread.

I posted it yesterday and so cannot edit it.

In retrospect, I don't think it accurately depicts my true feelings on this issue. I have been thinking about this issue a bit and I don't think I could kill anyone at any time for any reason.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

i would say servival is like a switch it can be turned off and on when needed, could i do it , if it came to protecting my wife and my daughter it would be on.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
reply to post by deathpoet69

There is a BIG difference between killing someone and just kicking their ass. You can't even compare the thrill of either one. I've trained for MMA fighting for 30 years and kicked many asses, and the adrenaline rush is really cool, but i've never killed anyone and am not sure the adrenaline rush will be the same. Or have the same gratification.

i would almost guess that this would not be for gradification no way. big difference from servival.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join