It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrian President Bashar Assad's security advisor shot dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Syrian President Bashar Assad's security advisor shot dead

www.presstv.ir

An unknown gunman has assassinated the Syrian president's security advisor, Mohammad Suleiman in the country's northern port of Tartous.

“Brigadier General Mohammad Suleiman was shot by an unidentified sniper on the coast of Syria's Tartous port on Friday,”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Some are beginning to point fingers in the direction of Israel. To me, it seems pretty logical that Mossad may have something to do with this. Although, it could be a faction within the Lebanese military deciding that it was time to "spice" things up a little bit.

Thoughts?

www.presstv.ir
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I also found this on an Israeli news agency website. They had this to say:

Suleiman, who was also Syria's liaison officer to the Hizbullah terrorist organization in Lebanon, was shot and killed by an unidentified sniper in the Syrian port city of Tartous.

This General was a top aide to the President and his killing may possibly ignite a firestorm in the Lebanon area (which I personally believe will be one of the battlefields in the next M.E. war).

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Interesting. Ill be following this closely for this may have bigger implications than meets the eye. Good Find.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

Thank you. When Rafik Harriri was assassinated a few years back, I did a research paper about Syrian influence in Lebanon for my Political Science class. It revealed a lot of interesting information about the region and political atmosphere leading up to the killing. Which lead to the eventual "booting out" of the Syrian military in the following months. The last year has been pretty turbulent for all of Lebanon; the people there certainly have a "stiff upper lip" if I may borrow a term from the Brits. Reading this just gives me a very bad feeling.

[edit on 3-8-2008 by DrOOpieS]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Star and flag from me. The real question here is wether this was a political message, or a direct tactical intervention to disrupt something the General was working on.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
It's an open question who killed this guy, as I can imagine quite a few parties with reasons to see him dead.

Mossad is certainly high on the list, but given his line of work, there are plenty of others, including internal rivals within the Syrian state, Hezbollah (maybe he was dity-dealing them somehow), intelligence agencies from major powers, etc...

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
This topic has already been posted:

Syrian general assassinated

Please continue discussion in the above linked thread.
Closed.

new topics

top topics

join