It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nice example of phoney anti Obama rhetoric... Hypocracy 101!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Very compelling stuff here!

Post subject: OBAMA AND THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE-Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:01 p.m.

Writer

Posts: 38 TAKE A FEW MOMENTS AND READ THIS LETTER. THESE ARE STRONG, POWERFUL AND COURAGEOUS WORDS COMING FROM A RETIRED COLONEL, AND READ WHAT LINCOLN HAD TO SAY AT THE END. WOW!

33 Senators Voted Against English as America's Official Language on June 6, 2007.

On Wed. 6 June 2007, Colonel Harry Riley, USA, Ret. wrote:

Senators:
Your vote against an amendment to the immigration Bill 1348.... to make English America's official language is astounding.

On D-Day, no less, when we honor those that sacrificed in order to secure the bedrock, character and principles of America, I can only surmise your vote reflects a loyalty to illegal aliens.

I don't much care where you come from. What your religion is. Whether you're black, white, or some other color...male or female......Democrat, Republican or Independent....... But I do care when you are a United States Senator representing Citizens of America ...and Vote against English as the official language of the United States

Your vote reflects Betrayal. Political Surrender. Violates Your Pledge of Allegiance. Dishonors historical principle. Rejects Patriotism. Borders on traitorous action and, in my opinion, makes you unfit to serve as a United States Senator...impeachment... Recall........Or other appropriate action is warranted, or worse.

Four of you voting against English as America's Official Language are Presidential Candidates: Senator Biden, Senator Clinton, Senator Dodd and Senator Obama! .

Four Senators vying to lead America, but won't, or don't, have the courag e to cast a vote in favor of English as America's Official Language when 91% of American Citizens want English officially designated as our language.

This is the second time in the last several months this list of Senators have disgraced themselves as 'political Hacks'..... Unworthy as Senators and certainly unqualified to serve as President of the United States .

If America is as angry as I am, you will realize a backlash so stunning it will l iter ally 'rock you out of your socks'......... And preferably totally out of the United States Senate.

The entire immigration bill is a farce... Your action only confirms this really isn't about America... it is about self-serving politics......despicable at best. It has been said: 'Never Argue with an Idiot....They'll drag you down to their level!'

PRESIDENT ABRAHAM LINCOLN SAID: 'Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damages morale and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, quickly tried and hanged!!!'

PLEASE KEEP THIS GOING AROUND THE UNITED STATES UNTIL THE ELECTION IN NOVEMBER!

Oh the humanity, these damned liberal terrorist lovers...

And extra shame upon Clinton, Dodd, Biden AND ESPECIALLY OBAMA!!!

LINCLON WOULD HANG THEM ALL!!!

Wow!

The problem is, ,,,,well ,,,,reality!

At the end of the matter proposed to be inserted, add the following:

SEC. 702A. DECLARATION OF ENGLISH AS LANGUAGE.

(a) In General.--English is the common language of the United States.

(b) Preserving and Enhancing the Role of the English Language.--The Government of the United States shall preserve and enhance the role of English as the language of the United States. Nothing in this Act shall diminish or expand any existing rights under the laws of the United States relative to services or materials provided by the Government of the United States in any language other than English

(c) Definition of Law.--For purposes of this section, the term ``laws of the United States'' includes the Constitution of the United States, any provision of Federal statute, or any rule or regulation issued under such statute, any judicial decisions interpreting such statute, or any Executive Order of the President.

(As printed in the Congressional Record for the Senate on Jun 6, 2007.)

www.govtrack.us...

Aye DE Biden, Joseph D

No Vote CT Dodd, Christopher D

Aye NY Clinton, Hillary D

Aye IL Obama, Barack D

Democrat Republican Independent
Ayes: 58 (59%)
45 11 2
Nays: 39 (39%)
2 37 0
No Vote: 2 (2%)
2 0 0
Required: Simple Majority of 97 votes (49)

www.govtrack.us...

Further more this transcendent email of caring failed to mention that the entire
immigration act had 351 amendments...

www.govtrack.us...

Those damn liberals voting against the English language!
We need more mirrors in this world...

I think before passing around pure garbage it is safe to
say that one should investigate...

act like a sheep and then call
other people sheep......

Deny Ignorance

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
[edit on 3-8-2008 by mental modulator]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   

S.Amdt. 1151: To amend title 4, United States Code, to declare English as the national language of the Government of the United States, and for other purposes., amending S. 1348: Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2007.

www.govtrack.us...

Obama voted No or Nay.

The salazar amendment merely states that English is the common language but government can continue to do business in other languages.

Obama voted yes on this one.

Inhofe amendment actually wanted to declare English as the National Language of the United States and prohibit government from conducting business in any other language but English.

Obama voted no on this one.

I can see where it can be confusing. There is a big difference between the two amendments. I will let you all decide if we should enhance English or declare English as the National language of the United States.

In Obama own words

“I don’t understand when people are going around worrying about, we need to have English only. They want to pass a law, we just, we want English only,” Obama told supporters in Powder Springs, Georgia on Tuesday.

source

Thanks mental modulator for the govtrack site. Has a lot of good information.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

thank you... One amendment is liberal initiative the other is conservative initiative

the votes are opposite...

good work! I'm gonna dig some more!

S

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Ya in fact the choice was one or the other...

I can dig the conservative amendment -- except for

``(b) Exception.--Unless specifically provided by statute, no person has a right, entitlement, or claim to have the Government of the United States or any of its officials or representatives act, communicate, perform or provide services, or provide materials in any language other than English. If an exception is made with respect to the use of a language other than English, the exception does not create a legal entitlement to additional services in that language or any language other than English.

This section would be a deal breaker for me...

Basically if you don't speak English tough...

I understand it would force people to learn English, how ever this could impact forms, interpreters, defense, stenographers, especially inner city operations... Also if I was a law maker this section would certainly exclude some of my constituency who I am tasked to represent.

Provided someone wanted to get NAZI with the chaos of the early 1900 could come back in spades. For the complete none English speakers this would create and promote further racial isolation not promote integration... People can not learn a language over night,,, might think F it lets band together and stay in our chinatowns, thai towns , Van Nuy's, little Armenia's ... etc

On the other hand I think people should learn English and I can understand why a white person in a town of white people would question this action.

Anyhow I am a liberal... I believe in inclussive not exclusive... If you don't like it come and kill me if you dare

Thanks again jam

[edit on 3-8-2008 by mental modulator]

join