It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new take on an old idea...a new gas strategy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
First of all, let me assure you that I know that the "Gas Out" message is a total fraud because not buying gas on May 15 only means that you have to buy gas on May 14 or 16, which still works economically for the oil tycoons that lord over the gas profits in every country.

I have a new take, which is a regular movement, not just a one time feel good event. Here is my proposal, which a few of my friends feel is a good theory, but only works if a vast majority of the population would strive to adhere to it. I am going to tell this as if it would be acceptable to the masses, so please forgive the terminology.

This is a multi-stage event that basically trains the individual as a conservative.
Stage 1 is a monthly self-induced ban on gasoline consumption. It starts by accepting that on one particular calendar day of each month, the absolute minimum of fuel will be consumed. This means that all unnecessary travel is suspended for an entire 24 hour period.
Elaboration: unless it is a medical, legal, or mandantory emergency, no item that consumes gasoline will be run on that day (automobiles, farm equipment, lawn care, sport vehicles, generators, etc). If it can sit idle, let it sit idle.
As well, on that same day each month, absolutely no purchase of fuel should transact, with the exceptions of the emergency instances. Since there is no consumption, there should be no transaction.
This stage will be inacted each and every month on the same preset day for 3 months.

Stage 2 further reduces consumption by doubling the reduction to 2 days per month of total downtime. Again, emergency necessities override here, but that should be the only reason. For the next 6 months, stage 2 would be a learned practice and a cognitive effort made to reduce the amount of fuel consumed in each household.

Stage 3 would add to the two day reduction naturally. By the end of the 9 months of concentrated effort, a person should have developed a sense of conservation and should then ask themselves each and everytime they decide to drive or consume fuel if the event is necessary or is there an alternative.

This experiment is human conditioning has the potential to reduce fuel consumption by millions of gallons per month, just in the US alone. This amount would continue to increase as other countries come onboard with the conservative ideal.

I know that there is a wealth of individuals that drive for the sake of driving because walking to the neighbor 2-blocks away is just too much like exercise. I know that many of these people will not change, even though they will complain everytime the pull up to the gas station. I know that there are people who already conserve as much as they can get away with while still maintaining their lives. I would just hope to find a common sense of reasoning to bring these varied thought processes together for some form of real change.

If you have read this far, I would like to note that I am not an eco-warrior or an extremist. I already practice strong gas conservation for my own personal and financial reasons. My vehicle may sit for up to 2 days at a time without ever being started. I live in a city with crappy public trans, so I have to drive to work, grocery store and for family visits. However, I car pool to work, so I only drive 10-12 days a month for that and I only shop on my way to or from work, to eliminate unnecessary travel. I also keep the RPMs for my vehicle below 3000, normally in the 2200-2400 operating range, which keeps me inside the common speed limits and no unnecessary jerky or hard starts (RPMs, not rate of speed, is what determines your miles per gallon consumption).

I look forward to hearing both how you already do your part to conserve and what you think for, or against, this idea of mine. I am sure that others have had it, but I have not found any postings of material to note that anyone has actually tried to get such a movement out to the public.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Or we could tap into the billions of barrels of oil right under our feet right here in the USA. Maybe utelizing offshore drilling so China might quit drilling off our shores would help too?

join