It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Listen! The Future Of The World Depends On It!....no wait, the MIBs are here....will post more later

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Okay...okay. Made you look and all that....but don't there seem to be an awful lot of these type of posts on ATS lately? I'm fairly new to this sight and maybe these little first person 'stories' are commonplace. I don't know.
And of course like you I always want them to be real. You know the one's....the aliens promised to reveal their secrets to me in 24 hours. As soon as they do I will post them here.....I promise.

What gives?

[edit on 3-8-2008 by MsSmartypants]

[edit on 3-8-2008 by MsSmartypants]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MsSmartypants

What gives?

Well, I would tell you but I can only do it in 24 hours...

OK, you could see where that was headed... I apologise unreservedly... ;-)

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SugarCube

Hee hee hee hee. I did not see that coming. And I thought I was so smart. Um...have I typed enough words for this not to be a one line post yet?

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
You know, this is completely off-topic but your signature, hypothetically speaking, could be correct. I have often pondered that if something could be thought of by a human being then it could be made reality - at least, our reality - barring the physical constraints of humans actually getting together to do it.

To bring this post back on topic, yeah, the "I'll tell you in the morning" thing is such a big kiss-off. You see, I've never had a major epiphany that anybody else would take notice of (I have, and they don't...) or witnessed an event that would be significant to mankind, however, I cannot believe that I would try to get people aware of it by just saying, "I'll tell you later..."

Now I know that some people start bleating on about licensing and copyright and all that bullsh*t, but, if I had indisputable proof of aliens I would get it out there, no faffing around. If we really believe that ATS would stomp on the story under pressure from the "MiBs" then fair enough, take it elsewhere, but there are pleenty of places to get real proof out there.

The fact is, all the proof so far has been circumstantial - no matter how much you believe in it, there is no final proof until a saucer lands on the Whitehouse Lawn, even then it'll be regarded as a hoax to try and beef up America's image around the world. We won't believe it until we're running for cover...

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Surely the average post's quality is getting worse every day. I'm a reader for almost 3 years now. Maybe is time to the "serious" people to move somewhere else.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by tiagoratto
Maybe is time to the "serious" people to move somewhere else.

exactly - I am getting tired of OP's like this one. ATS has changed - we have to live with that.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by MsSmartypants

I hear ya msSmartypants!

It's the exact M.O of many attention deprived hoaxers and 'wanna be' cult leader delusionals. They all follow the same basic pattern and each of them think it's an entirely new approach. It's like a really lame formulaic soap opera.

Sleeper has a lot to answer for! He more or less created that template of deception here.

However I do find an amazing phenomena in this - and that is that the very same members take it hook, line and sinker each time! You would imagine that some type of logic would eventually kick in and they'd start to think twice - but their need to 'believe' in even the most flimsiest, shadiest thread wins out ad nauseum.

It's like watching someone run head first into a steel reinforced brick wall and saying "Ouch, I think I might do that again" with the impossible expectation that the wall may give way before their head. Some just never learn I guess!

LOL!

Thanks for the Levity!

IRM

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by tiagoratto
Surely the average post's quality is getting worse every day. I'm a reader for almost 3 years now. Maybe is time to the "serious" people to move somewhere else.

I agree some more rigorous moderating could be beneficial, but there really is no where else to go...I've learned to skim the obvious kiddie threads...

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
InfraRed... yes, Sleeper... that was the guy. Whatever happened to him? No wait, don't tell me... that goes against my own policy of ignoring those divots.

God that thread used to wind me up sooo much, but I could rant all day and it is all just pointless so enough said.

I agree that the quality of posts seems to have gone down, but that is the problem when you open up to every man and his dog. It is like when you have a favourite coffee house or bar and everything is perfect but then a "new crowd" finds it and starts inviting their friends and they invite their friends and you realise it has changed completely, the reason why you went there in the first place has gone.

Ahhh well, such is the way of the world.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SugarCube

Ohhhhh yeah,

I know what you mean about having a favorite club or bar only to have it overrun by the new kids on the block. It's enough to make you throw your VIP pass in the bin with disgust! LOL!

Ooops I'm off topic!

Aren't those crazy threads... um... crazy!

IRM

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsSmartypants
Okay...okay. Made you look and all that...

You know, it's stuff like this that is almost as annoying as all the hoaxers. This isn;t a forum for stand up comedians, it's not a home for bait and switch practioners. If you can't title a thread without it being deliberatly misleading ('It was so big I couldn't see the edges!' and this one as examples, and your admission that you do this 'made you look!' thing, which is frankly exactly what hoaxers themselves do), prehaps you need to re-evaluate how you're contributing to this board.

If you thread is worthy of note, people will read it. Eye catching titles are great, as long as they are in line with what the thread is about, and not misleading or un-representative of the threads contents.

On topic, hoaxers love to do stuff like the 'info later!' or 'I was going to show you this, but the mibs took it'. It's because it gets people riled up and clamouring to hear about whatever it is, and why can't they hear it now, which feeds the ego of the hoaxer. They hoax to confuse and annoy people because they enjoy it. The 10 page threads we get which end up being people running round in circles debating whether or not we should wait for the 'revelation' of the OP of just shut it for another hoax is eaxactly what the hoaxers want. They sit there laughing the arses off at all the tin foil hat wearing idiots (as they see us) falling all over themselevs and their 'kuicy' story.

It's only ever done for attention. No real evidence will ever be provided in such a thread, due to the fundamental fact that if you were going to have mind blowing evidence soon, you wouldn;t post about having it soon, you'd wait till you had something to provide and post about it at that point...

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Ill give you the formula, its quite simple really!:

Take the biggest site for conspiracy theories (BS)

+

Immature young punks squared (IP)*little 2*

=

Pointless damaging destruction (PDD)

So just remember that formula, and you will be IRE!

BS+IP(squared)=PDD

Young 13 year old kids are ruining the quality of this forum!

We cannot stand for this!

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Vector J

I disagree Vector J. She makes a very valid point and part of that point is exactly what your complaining about. Eg.. the sensationalist thread titles, the teasers and the promise to follow up with installments of information.

missSmartypants is in her every right to complain about this and she does it in a very intelligent way with a bit of levity and irony thrown in.

I personally applaud her because it is this very behavior that she's drawing attention to that is harming both UFOlogy and the ATS community.

BTW Starred & Flagged MSP!

Edit To Add:

BS+IP(squared)=PDD

Nice formula IMAdamnALIEN

IRM

[edit on 4/8/08 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

I think she brought her point home with the thread title!

Very clever!

And its people like you who diminish the quality as well. Try and think before you bash someones thread, not to mention bashing the OP as well. Shame shame!

To the OP!

You have hundreds of people here that will back you!

You are right! and the good people here at ATS will not stand for this!

S+F

[edit on 4-8-2008 by IMAdamnALIEN]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Well InfraRedMan I don;t think you quite saw what I was getting at. She has every right to write about this, it's a good point, if not anything particularly new, and yes she did it in a mildly amusing manner. My point was that the way she herself titles threads with the whole 'made you look' idiology is annoying and unecceasry (in my personal opinion) and I likened it to the hoaxers themselves because thats exactly what they are saying themselves with these 'info in 24 hours' type threads, the end result of their hoax is to say 'Made you look!'.

I believe a thread should stand on it's own and that it should require any chicanery to get people to read it. But maybe thats just me, and maybe thats exactly why my last few threads have had few replys, but thats more likely to do with the fact that often I'm a little worse for wear when I'm on these boards and write in a slightly bizzare and caustic fashion that doesn't garner me readers!...

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

LOL Vector J!

Your still not 'getting it' mate. The heading was all part of the point she is trying to make. What part of that is alluding you?

IRM

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMAdamnALIEN

I think she brought her point home with the thread title!

Very clever!

And its people like you who diminish the quality as well. Try and think before you bash someones thread, not to mention bashing the OP as well. Shame shame!

Where have I bashed the thread? In truth it's a good point, but one that is continually brought up in threads of the kind the OP talks about once everyone has decided that it was just a hoax thread.

I thought through my point before I posted, don't come in here and tell me I didn;t just because you don;t agree with me.

And I'm not particularly bashing the OP. I'm pointing out that the 'made you look' style she apparently likes to use isn't much better than a deliberate hoax thread, whose bottom line is in and of itself, 'Made you look'.

For the sake of harmony, I apologise to MsSmartyPants if she feels I've bashed her, but I also hope she understands the point I'm trying to make. If she doesn;t see it, and neither do you, you can't say that I haven't tried to explain it to you, several times now.

Keep your shame to yourself, I'm not trolling this thread, or the OP, just making what I feel is a valid point...

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Argh! Sorry buddy, I think we're missing each other here and it's undoubtedly my fault. I fully understand that the title is tongue in cheek and is her point. My point on the other hand is that she does this 'made you look' thing, what i feel is the heart of hoaxes themselves, herself, which she admits too here.

This is about the 5th time I've tried to explain that now here and I'm just cluttering up her thread, (sorry MsSmartyPants!) so i'll leave it be. Hope you see what I'm talking about now!...

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
*Sigh*

Do I have to quote you?

Lets return to the topic at hand, before a Mod has to step in, okay?

Lets keep it clean...

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join