It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major discovery on Martian surface. More important than finding water!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Dutch (breaking) NEWS!!!
I will translate into english and post no links because you guys cant read dutch so why bother:

The White House has been alerted by NASA about plans to make an announcement soon on major new Phoenix lander discoveries concerning the search for life on Mars, scientists tell Aviation Week & Space Technology.

The data are much more complex than results related NASA's July 31 announcement that Phoenix has confirmed the presence of water at the site.

International news media trumpeted the water confirmation, which was not a surprise to any of the Phoenix researchers. "They have discovered water on Mars for the third or fourth time," one senior Mars scientists joked about the hubbub around the water announcement.

The other data not discussed openly yet are far more "provocative," Phoenix officials say.

In fact, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory science team for the MECA wet-chemistry instrument that made the findings was kept out of a July 31 news conference at the University of Arizona Phoenix control center. The goal was to prevent them from being asked any questions that could reveal information before NASA is ready to make an announcement, sources say.

The Bush Administration's Presidential Science Advisor's office, however, has been briefed on the new information that NASA hopes to release as early as mid August. It is possible an announcement would not come until September, to allow for additional analysis. That will depend upon the latest results still being analyzed from the spacecraft's organic oven and soil chemistry laboratories.

MECA's two microscopes have the resolution to detect bacteria--which would be life. Sources, however, say the microscopes have not detected bacteria.

It is intriguing that MECA could have found anything more positive than that, but NASA and the University of Arizona are taking steps to prevent word from leaking out on the nature of the discovery made during MECA's second soil test, in which water from Earth was automatically stirred with Martian soil.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
very interesting! My curiousity is peaked! I saw a show the other night in which one of the scientists (it was a show about the Phoenix mission) stated that testing already shows that the soil can support plant life. But I have not seen anything in the news about it. I found that odd.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
can you please post the SOURCE of this story?

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Really interesting. If they say it's not bacteria then what on earth could it be? fossil or living organism? Or something more mundane, though really I cant imagine what else could have them alerting the White House.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
This is a true news headline. I just found it on Yahoo news. Super Cool!! All though it might not be an announcement of life per se. But if it is, this would definitely be the one more stepping stone for disclosure. Something is up.

See the story here

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Maybe during the second soil test they slipped a seed or two in and it has since sprouted in the soil. I say this because of the final paragraph of the story about it mixing Earth water with Martian soil.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
So it has all begun. Finally.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
If you ask me, NASA already know Mars has plant life on it now (at least in some regions) and they are looking for a way to set us up for showing us the real photos etc. There is a series of events unfolding here and they just can't say "Well...we lied to you before so here you go." First ice, now water then the potential for life, plant life, fossils, finally they'll let us know of a past civilization in one way or another.

Just a thought....

[edit on 3-8-2008 by thechi]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Must......resist.....must....not....make......jimmy hoffa.....jokes.

I hope its not a big let down like the last big discovery we got excited about,
you know the super nova thingy.

[edit on 3-8-2008 by miguelbmx]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Love this, lets hope it goes the right way and total
truth for the earth!

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by TheNetherlands

I don't want to poopoo on this thread, but in fairness to other members there is an existing thread about the same topic here.

[edit on 8/3/2008 by schrodingers dog]

new topics

top topics

join