It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disgusting election taints ATS... Stand up and shut up!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Is this a veiled, although apparent attempt at silencing by humiliating those who post anything anti Obama?

Silence the opposition

I have a lot I would like to say, yet I am afraid to say anything, so intimidation does work.

BTW I just finished reading this thread.

Cindy McCain: Drug Addict, Thief,

Saw some of you there.

Have a lovely day.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
Forum gangs suggest collusion HAL. Do you have any hard proof? This is the second time you've mentioned this in one of your posts. I'm sure we both could make a list of people we consider to be a part of a forum gang, but that doesn't really prove anything. Until there's some concrete evidence, they're just unsubstantiated allegations.

Oh, so anyone can post any ridiculous claim about Obama without proof, but when I suggest collusion, I have to provide proof? Sorry I'm not a moderator, otherwise I would.

I realize it's a conspiracy site, but surely the moderators would be aware of such activities if it were occurring. More likely, it's simply a case of like-minded members from both sides being drawn to the same type of threads. Everyone is eager to support their own candidate.

I can't speak for the mods either, but if they did, members would complain that they are censoring people and favoring one side or the other. I think it is best they don't. It is up to the members to maintain the quality of ATS. It is what we make it. If you don't mind the ridiculous threads, then that's fine, but some of us see that this is diminishing the quality of the board. We also have a right to our opinion.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
ATS posters never fail.....

Poor elitist attitude. So, people with no avatars have nothing good to say?

Almost sounds like, "we cling ro our religion and guns...."

Yet another reason why ATS is killing ATS.

Another dumb elitest thread from another monday morning ATS quarterback.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

well i could care less what the cult members think of me. i repect logical thought, not emotional mumbo jumbo. the whole point of my original comment was to show that barak obama has become some sort of idol to some people. the same phenomenon does not seem to exist among mccain suporters.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I am not eloquent and I am not prolific but I do have a keen ability to see through the BS.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
Oh, so anyone can post any ridiculous claim about Obama without proof, but when I suggest collusion, I have to provide proof? Sorry I'm not a moderator, otherwise I would.

Unless I'm stating my opinion, I always provide a source for my so-called "ridiculous claims". Because you disagree with the contents of my post doesn't necessarily make it ridiculous.

I can't speak for the mods either, but if they did, members would complain that they are censoring people and favoring one side or the other. I think it is best they don't. It is up to the members to maintain the quality of ATS. It is what we make it. If you don't mind the ridiculous threads, then that's fine, but some of us see that this is diminishing the quality of the board. We also have a right to our opinion.

I'm sure that claim would be made by both sides, and I agree we all need to be responsible for our own posts. But what constitutes a ridiculous post is a matter of opinion.

I think posts about fighting with aliens in my bedroom are over the top. Do posts like that that diminish the quality of the board? Probably half the post on ATS are about aliens and UFOS, and apparently a lot of people believe in them and find them a credible topic.

Who am I to say their beliefs are ridiculous? I don't have to agree with them, just respect their right to believe as they choose.

I never said you didn't have a right to your opinion HAL, but I'm also entitled to mine just like everyone else.

[edit on 4-8-2008 by LLoyd45]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRepublic

I guess you could say that the members that are obsessed with bashing Obama are also kind of a cult. Don't you think?

[edit on 8/4/2008 by Hal9000]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
I think posts about fighting with aliens in my bedroom are over the top. Do posts like that that diminish the quality of the board? Probably half the post on ATS are about aliens and UFOS, and apparently a lot of people believe in them and find them a credible topic.

I see your point LLoyd, and for once your right.

I hadn't thought of it that way. I guess we should put up with the ridiculous political threads along with the others. Not that complaining about it would have made any difference anyway.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

i dont know why everyone bashes obama. there are many diffrent reasons one would. some i agree with some i do not. we are not a cohesive group with identical views that worships some figurehead, which is by definition what a cult is...so no. nice try.

like bashing obama because he is black, i think that is stupid and illogical.
but bashing obama because he is just another corperate canidate, who will bankrupt the country wont actually take us out of any wars and was quoted by haaretz as supporting a strike on iran. that is a perfectly reasonable view point to take.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRepublic

Quoted by Who? as supporting attacking Iran?

Oh, yeah, let's not criticize him for being black, that is so un-PC

Instead, we'll let the Murdoch Street Journal (formerly known as the 'Wall Street Journal') keep printing editorial pages saying that Obama is 'too skinny' to be President.

I am NOT making this up!

edit to add....see? THIS is a proper conspiracy for discussion. Rupert Murdoch, the ultra-right Aussie who owns too many media outlets as is, manages to buy the former 'Wall Street Journal' (which already had a slightly-to-right lean). Spewing filth on the FOX "News" channel....can we discuss the 'talking points' funneled to this alleged 'news' channel from the WH. This fact, chronicled in Scott McClellan's book.

Let's not forget Roger Ailes....Bush number 41 let it slip, not knowing he was on air at the time, while he and the 'shrubs' were calling in to congratulate comedian Rush Limbaugh for surviving another year....otherwise known as wishing a fat man a happy birthday.

Now we're finding some conspiracies!!!

Bush 41...and I quote..."How's our man Ailes doin'?"

[edit on 8/4/0808 by weedwhacker]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

haaretz is a israeli news agency
www.haaretz.co.il...

about the murdoch street journal, i agree. it is sad that this is what politics has become in this country. obama is too skinny to be president! mccain ate a hardboiled egg for breakfast! this is what fills the paper. not that both canidates have very similar destructive viewpoints that could result in the ruination of this country.

i would argue the corporate press does this on purpose. they dont want people talking about real issues. its all about keeping the people distracted while they rape my country. traitors, traitors all of them.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
I guess you could say that the members that are obsessed with bashing Obama are also kind of a cult. Don't you think?

Think about it. I don't know ANY Obama supporters who approve of Obama 100%. None of his supporters here on the board seems to me to be in an "Obama cult". People have REAL, VALID reasons for wanting him to be president, whether it be their agreement with him on the issues, the idea of something different than the past 8 years, the fact that he's a Democrat or the fact that he's articulate, intelligent and presents a new and different face that the rest of the world can respect. All of his supporters have very good and logical reasons.

The ONLY people I hear talking about a "cult" or "messiah" or in any way implying that he's some kind of "savior" are the Obama haters. And their reasons? Well, let's just say they're "imaginative". In other words, they are pretty much made up, total lies or grossly exaggerated.

So, who is living in an "Obama fantasy" world here? Who is IN the Obama cult? Someone who has very valid and logical reasons for supporting him? Or someone who is SO focused and obsessive about tearing him down with false and meaningless accusations (too skinny???) that they cannot stop looking for reasons and ways to attack him?

Who exactly is obsessed with Obama here???

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

i just gave perfectly valid real reasons for why one might not like him.
your reasons for liking him being "hes a democrat" "hes black" well neither one of those is a real issue. who cares? on real issues he isnt any diffrent than mccain. ok well obama dosnt look like he just crawled out the crypt and he is a good speaker, but thats about it. hes still a fraud.

clinging to trite reasons like those strike me as cult like behavior.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRepublic
your reasons for liking him being "hes a democrat" "hes black" well neither one of those is a real issue.

Those are not my reasons.

who cares?

Maybe not you. But they are valid reasons for some people. Open your mind. Stretch it a little. Try to conceive a world where someone else can care about something that you don't care about. Use your imagination and picture other people using their minds to think instead of yours....

clinging to trite reasons like those strike me as cult like behavior.

Because they're not YOUR reasons for supporting someone? Read over the above paragraph a few times. See if anything lights up.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

If no one supports McCain, then why do the polls suggest otherwise? He seems to have plenty of support even though no one likes him.

If I may venture a little guess here:

I think McCain garners 1/2 of his support from voters that actually agree with his platform. I think the other 1/2 despise his opponent so much and realize the other "fringe" candidates will only take away votes from McCain. For this reason they throw their votes to McCain.

I agree with an earlier poster stating voters dislikes for Obama are many and varied.

Here's some reasons why I think voters will break for McCain as the only other viable candidate. The following is just my opinion.

Won't vote for Obama because:

1. Far too left/liberal in general
2. He's not white
3. He wants to raise taxes.
4. Shady personal relationships with even shadier people.
5. That whole Muslim thing.
6. Has changed his position on several major topics.
7. Michelle
8. He seems to come across as very arrogant.
9. He beat Hillary
10. I'll leave the last one for someone else to fill in.

Becker

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   

voting for someone because the color of their skin = stupid
voting for someone because the party they belong to = stupid
voting for someone because the media says hes great = stupid
anyone that engages in any of the above = stupid

voting on real issues = smart

if "opening my mind a little" means caring about superficial bull poop while the country goes to hell, than id rather not.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
this is a perfect opportunity for us to more fully understand human nature and our tribal instincts, personal biases, asymmetric insight,cognitive bias and social psychology

to explain how the thoughts, feelings, and behaviors of how individuals are influenced by other people, and how it relates to the Memetics

The study of memetics takes the old saw about ideas having a life of their own seriously and applies what we know about ecosystems, evolution,
and epidemiology to study the spread and persistence of ideas in
cultures. If you come to understand memetics, I expect your view of
politics, religions, and related social movements to be changed in much
the same way the germ theory of disease changed the attitude of the
medical profession about epidemics.

Memetics provides rational
explanations for a lot of seemingly irrational human behavior.

www.aleph.se...

users.lycaeum.org...
books.google.com... &sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=8&ct=result#PPA10,M1

By more fulling understanding why we believe what we believe by remaining neutral, learning we have all been DUPED?

Is it possible to have a discussion where we choose to embrace one another's beliefs and try and learn from and benefit from them, instead of using emotional blackmail?

[edit on 113131p://bMonday2008 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I agree that most of the active Obama supporters here now aren't the cult type, but I'm sure there were a few that were. Actually, I think most of the Obama supporters have left or no longer post because of the bashing.

I think that those that do see Obama as a messiah type are really just unhappy with the way the country is and are hoping he can change that. I don't see anything wrong with that, except that at some point they are likely to be disappointed. Some are looking for things to change overnight, but we know it doesn't work that way.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRepublic
voting for someone because the color of their skin = stupid
voting for someone because the party they belong to = stupid
voting for someone because the media says hes great = stupid
anyone that engages in any of the above = stupid

voting on real issues = smart

Ooohhh! Thanks for clearing that up!
For a minute there, I was thinking your were closed-minded!

if "opening my mind a little" means caring about superficial bull poop while the country goes to hell, than id rather not.

No. I didn't think you would get it. :shk:

Opening your mind a little means saying to yourself, "I know the ONLY valid reason for me to vote for someone is because of the issues. That's how I feel and how I think. And that's fine. I do realize, however, that other people have other priorities and even though I may disagree with them, I respect their right to chose their criteria for voting for someone. It may be something that I find unimportant, but if they think it's important, then it's a valid reason FOR THEM, it's just not a valid reason for me."

Or you can just continue to think that everyone who doesn't think and operate just like you is "stupid"...
and that you're "smart". That seems to be working for ya.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I live in Illinios I grew up with the Daley machine, we down staters understand upstate politics and Chicago politicians, Obama is Daley's guy, in some of my Post I have tried to gain insight into this phenomenon. I am trying to be fair. I have nothing but disdain for politicians,

To me this forum is a place to investigate, there is nothing more stimulating then the researching, I have not endorsed a candidate, nor participated or trolled the anti McCain threads, save one where he was called racist, even though they are the adoptive parents of a child from Bangladesh, I felt the need to point that out.

more later,

I do take offense at being labeled.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join