It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disgusting election taints ATS... Stand up and shut up!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+65 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Having been a member here for a number of years, I've seen how the election cycle gets, especially the American one. However, the difference in this election cycle is beyond the pale and I know there are large swaths of dedicated members that feel the same way.

I see rampant trolling from grey no avatar pointless posters that are so poor and so intellectually dishonest that many of us can't help but speak up against such a tidal wave of idiocy.

I also see full time haters, bigots, fools, and liars with little interest in reasoned discussion which further promotes animosity and foul threads around here.

There is thread after thread after thread of trash talk, unsubstantiated slander, and a serious lack of meaty conversation many times.

SO

This is what I propose:

Censorship sucks and I don't advise we rely on the mods to be foolishness filters, otherwise they'd need to get paychecks for all the time they would spend doing it.

Ignore them.

Simple as that which will kill the thread. Otherwise we will get sucked down into the filth that is the American political system, faceless internet politics, and embracing ignorance.

I know it's hard, but their threads will be buried by others rather than sit in the limelight while poster after poster props up garbage threads with banter on how racist or bigoted said OP is, or how much the thread resembles garbage, petty bickering, etc, etc, etc.

Actually Deny Ignorance. Deny it your attention, your time, your posts, and if you feel a topic has SOME merit, then start a new one that has intellectual content to it.

Please, lift ATS up, don't contribute to it's pollution.

Your thoughts? You with me?

[edit on 2-8-2008 by KrazyJethro]

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I'm sorry if you feel discussing all the various aspects of the candidates offensive, but some people actually enjoy doing so. What would you prefer we all talk about instead ? Your music or fat kids?

Not every cares about your music, or how fat some kid happens to be. I find those topics to be rather boring and inconsequential.

Thankfully, neither you, nor I, get to decide what everyone else can or cannot talk about here on ATS. Hooray for Free speech!

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I have nothing to add to your eloquent suggestion, and I don't want it to get lost in the background. I can't comment on the merit of certain political posts because I haven't read them. The titles are enough to let me know that it's not worth reading.
Thank you, Krazy Jethro, for standing up and shutting up.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
I'm sorry if you feel discussing all the various aspects of the candidates offensive, but some people actually enjoy doing so. What would you prefer we all talk about instead ? Your music or fat kids?

Not every cares about your music, or how fat some kid happens to be. I find those topics to be rather boring and inconsequential.

What does music or fat kids have to do with this topic? KJ was referring to the lack of intelectual content in the Decision 2008. Mudslinging, innuendo, in some cases out right BS. Judging by the stars and flags he's not alone in thinking this.

This is what YOU want to discuss?

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by KrazyJethro

I couldn't agree more with your assessment.

Most of the threads in the Decision 2008 forum are not what I expected. A lot of low brow patently false propaganda being posted...but not just posted to discuss. They are posted by say one member and then in the midst of the first three response they are already on to ANOTHER juvenile piece of trash that they believe will make for some good inaccurate and biased reading.

Sign of a troll?
Posting chain mail propaganda...then another...then another...all within a 15 minute time span.

Now your solution has crossed my mind.
The thing is...I haven't ignored anyone yet although some surely deserve it.

I just don't want to.

Not that I feel that it is wrong to do so...but I feel that perhaps in the future that person may come to their senses and actually post something of value and I would have missed it.

Maybe it doesn't matter though, because I am sick of seeing the threads that are moronic cheap hit-jobs posted by the usual suspects. Doesn't seem much hope that they will listen to logic and reason.

- Lee

[edit on 2-8-2008 by lee anoma]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45

Thankfully, neither you, nor I, get to decide what everyone else can or cannot talk about here on ATS. Hooray for Free speech!

I discuss politics (or lately just read because I'm disgusted by the time I get to where I would post) more often than any other topic. I have been on ATS for about 5 years now, so I am going on quite a bit of historic knowledge on the evolution of ATS.

It's not the "what" of the situation, but the "how". Simple enough I'd judge.

I've noticed the steady decline in the actual discussions that go on around here, rather than reasonable debates. Facts are fewer, speculation is higher, venom is rife along with sarcasm and outright insults.

Discussing candidates, political theory, economics, global issues, etc, etc is fine, but the POINT of the site is to Deny Ignorance rather than to simply mirror sites like Free Republic or Democratic Underground.

Take it how you will.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
What does music or fat kids have to do with this topic?

That one lost me as well.
Guess Ill go read over MemoryShock's terrific thread on "deflection".

I am sure the answer is in there.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I agree, yet, I still maintain that ATS stays as it is now and the people that are members be allowed to post whatever they want within the T & C of course.

Does it totally suck we have an influx of trolls on just about every forum on a regular basis? Yes, but censoring isn't the answer. I agree with you Krazy completely, but it's hard to sit back and ignore the sheer volume of idiocy that seems to be appearing. I do try to ignore most of it. But, I am only human.

Edit to add: I only hope that when school begins again, this factor will drop considerably

[edit on 2-8-2008 by LateApexer313]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma

Now your solution has crossed my mind.
The thing is...I haven't ignored anyone yet although some surely deserve it.

I just don't want to.

Not that I feel that it is wrong to do so...but I feel that perhaps in the future that person may come to their senses and actually post something of value and I would have missed it.

Maybe it doesn't matter though, because I am sick of seeing the threads that are moronic cheap hit-jobs posted by the usual suspects. Doesn't seem much hope that they will listen to logic and reason.

- Lee

I can respect that, although perhaps it wouldn't go amiss for one post to be given by a Denier of Ignorance to simply point out what exactly the thread is and perhaps invite them to a more reasoned one.

Problem there is limiting your involvement so that garbage threads don't get 800 posts leaving them high in the pecking order just because they have a volatile title with little content.

You could also try PMing them in an attempt to sway them, who knows. As it stands now, however, most of the trolls jet 10 days after the election and the rest of us stay.

I'd prefer to limit trash for the time being.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma

Originally posted by intrepid
What does music or fat kids have to do with this topic?

That one lost me as well.
Guess Ill go read over MemoryShock's terrific thread on "deflection".

I am sure the answer is in there.

Actually, it seems like he went to my profile and saw that I posted some of the music I wrote back in 2005 and saw a thread I started on Fat kids being Child Abuse and referenced it.

Pretty tame since I rarely post threads myself. Most of the time people scoop me, so I simply respond and read.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I have noticed poisonious vitriol spewed about without regard to nuanced political beliefs.

I have already put at least one member on ignore for my mental health and I will do more as they interfere with my browsing experience.

The McGlaughlin group has some of the most honest political discusion around. pat Buchanon may be on the right but he will call any one on the right out if they are representing themselves falsely.

I would like to see actual discussion and humor expressed at the pains of our disagreements. At the end of the day a cold beverage or a piece of pie will make enemies friends.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Discussing candidates, political theory, economics, global issues, etc, etc is fine, but the POINT of the site is to Deny Ignorance rather than to simply mirror sites like Free Republic or Democratic Underground.

Absolutely.
The shame of it is that this is what has begun to happen.

Try bringing logic, fact and reason to the topics being discussed on either of those sites and you will find that the reaction those members have is almost exactly the same as the members here responsible for lowering the political debate into the mud.

Deflection, denial, attack.

Only here they are rewarded with multiple stars for saying basically nothing at all.
Ignorance confirming ignorance.

hmmmm....this is weird.

- Lee

[edit on 2-8-2008 by lee anoma]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
As a five year veteran of the ATS political process I've seen pretty much everything that there is possible to see.

People are genuinely eager to discuss political issues but they often take the easier route of throwing poop at the wall to see what will stick (or explode, exploding poop? what?)

It becomes a sport, trashing the other guy is trashing the other team. Everyone wants to be on the winning team.

It's treated as a gaaaaame. Like that one in the Running Man. But with fewer shots of Arnie in a jumpsuit. And people get upset about it, because they see themselves in a candidate.

And yes, I've seen the hand wringing about lifting the tone. But too often it comes just because someone smacks someone below the belt a day or two later

The battle is no longer fought and won in the centre. Bases are important once again. They were for Bush and now the leftist base is important for Obama.

Be better at internets. Do it. DO IT NAAAUUGHHHWWW.

/endarnie

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Let me guess. An Obama supporter?

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Riposte

Let me guess. An Obama supporter?

:shk:

That is exactly what he was talking about I think.

Sad day for the board.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Thinly veiled attempts to stifle debate are indeed sad.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Riposte

You sandwiched a super mod with negative 18 points and two one liners.
Maybe being a poster boy for this thread will get you the respect you deserve.
Way to go!

[edit on 8/3/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Riposte

Thinly veiled attempts to stifle debate are indeed sad.

WHAT DEBATE???? There's little debate. Only mudslinging and "My team, for one and for all, right compadres?" And who was stifling anyone? This is a perfect example of what's wrong. You say ANYTHING about what's wrong and you get this tripe.

Oh, let me play that game, McCain supporter here?

What the hell does that contribute to the board? NOTHING!!! If you have no respect for the candidates at least have some for the board, which is provided to you FREE. Is it too much to ask that cogent topics are put up for discussion?

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Every human being is afflicted by cognitive biases. Your judgment and everyone else's, including the OP's, is clouded by bias. It's important for any debate, and a ridiculous "CALL TO ACTION!" thread such as this one, be properly vetted in order to determine just what exactly is at the heart of the argument.

And this "free" board is making the owner(s) quite a bit of money. Without you and me, this board wouldn't even exist.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Thats why America ends up with people that cannot string 2 sentences together
as president.

Because the losing side of all the arguments rolls this out

lets not talk about it let the voters decide.

put them all on ignore an talk about fat kids and health care.

If someone starts a political thread do not respond thats your prerogative
why do you feel you need to subvert every one into doing the same.
I actually get a kick out of the responses

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join