It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama NOW OPPOSES giving reparations to descendents of Slavery. Yet another Flip-flop!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Wow, BH and Quazga, you both worked so hard in your thread defending Obama giving reparations to descendents of Slaves. His previous stance.

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama opposes offering reparations to the descendants of slaves, putting him at odds with some black groups and leaders.

The man with a serious chance to become the nation's first black president argues that government should instead combat the legacy of slavery by improving schools, health care and the economy for all.

Sorry to bust your bubble on this, but here ya go, another let-down:

www.breitbart.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I'm glad to see Obama has finally come to his senses on this on particular issue. I don't believe reparations would solve any problems, only create more.

If you truly want to promote unity and mend the rifts between Blacks and Whites, showing favoritism is a poor way to to go about it. I think the solution the NAACP proposed is a much better, and much more workable one.

The NAACP says reparations could take the form of government programs to help struggling people of all races. Efforts to improve schools in the inner city could also aid students in the mountains of West Virginia, said Hilary Shelton, director of the NAACP's Washington bureau.

"The solution could be broad and sweeping," Shelton said.

Source

[edit on 2-8-2008 by LLoyd45]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I have never understood why we should give reparations to descendents of slaves. Remember they are Descendents, they were NEVER slaves.

[edit on 2-8-2008 by bakednutz]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
His flip flops are coming out the @$$ at the moment. Flip Flopped On Off Shore Drilling, Flip Flopped On Reparations, Flip Flopped on Town Hall Debates and many more that I cant think of after pulling an all nighter!

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Obama never supported reparations to begin with.

What flipflop?

He said that he thought "deeds" were something that America should perform to show solidarity on recognizing the atrocities our country perpetuated with slavery.

The House issues a formal apology, and that is a Deed.

He never, said he supported reparations.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Why does everyone harp on and on about flip-flops?

If you don't change your opinion when presented with new evidence, you're an idiot. I don't want someone in office that can't accept new information and change their opinions according to what's changing.

I appreciate it when new information makes people rethink their stance on an issue. That's what you ought to do when you get new information - rethink your convictions.

If your conviction is that the sky is blue, and one day you wake up to find it's turned purple, do you steadfastly stand by your convictions even though they've clearly been overturned? That's the mark of idiocy, not character.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Why does everyone harp on and on about flip-flops?

If you don't change your opinion when presented with new evidence, you're an idiot. I don't want someone in office that can't accept new information and change their opinions according to what's changing.

So what shocking "new evidence" (as you put it) was recently revealed, that would get Obama to change his viewpoints on slave reparations?

[edit on 3-8-2008 by ADisbeliever]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Well, in truth his stance is pretty clear (except to those with a vested interest in representing it as murky).

He's always been opposed to cash reparations, right? He's always been open to programs that might be considered a form of reparations, but have a broader social appeal - things like inner-city schools and programs for healthcare that would disproportionately benefit blacks (since they are disproportionately uninsured).

My comment earlier was a general appeal to sanity on the issue of flip-flops. People go on and on about flip-flops, but they fail to consider the benefit of re-thinking convictions when new information comes to light.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The truth is, Obama has never supported reparations in the form of a cash payout to descendants of slaves. Neither have I.

He has ALWAYS supported reparations in the form of good schools and health care for all. He has said this from the beginning. So have I

These threads about Obama and reparations are manufacturing a flip-flop where there was nothing of the kind.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thank you!

I'm not going to vote for the man, but I am getting pretty sick of the mindless persecution he has to deal with on a regular basis.

top topics

join