It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama flip-flops on drilling issue as of 8/2!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
You read it right, Obama supporters, especially those of you opposed to offshore drilling. This is a new flip-flop a/la 8/2/08. Even Obama has had to admit that it makes sense and is the next best move.

With soaring fuel prices digging holes in the wallets of American voters, White House hopeful Barack Obama said Saturday that he might be willing to support offshore oil drilling in the country.

Source: afp.google.com...

Bout time Obama used his brain instead of pandering to Harry Reid and his band of useless leftist Congressmen.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Good post Sos37, but Obama is just doing it to gain votes.

He doesn't have to back his words because Congress has already decided to ban the drilling as of Friday. After learning this, he can try to play the best of both worlds in saying he "may consider" it.

I'd believe him if he were to back up his words by voting for it but that may never happen. Where is he in convincing the Liberal Congress in lifting this ban if he is all for this now??

It's just words.

More pandaring to get votes on major issues.

Besides, he has major energy companies like Perseus LLC investing heavily in his campaign. He promised he'd invest 800 Billion into the Green Energy industry if elected.

He'd be selling them out if he voted in drilling. They have major bucks into his campaign. It is part of the reason he can afford a new Olympic ad costing 5 million$.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I saw this interview on CNN and the article left out the most important part.

Obama said Friday that he would be willing to compromise on his position against offshore oil drilling if it were part of a more overarching strategy to lower energy costs.

Obama says offshore drilling stance nothing new

Is it a flip-flop when you compromise? If so then every politician that ever lived is a flip-flopper. Otherwise known as negotiating. But we know how the game is played. If it is the opposing candidate, it is called flip-flop. If is your own candidate, it is negotiating.

Myself, I really don't know the reasons why offshore drilling was banned in the first place. I have heard it was for environmental reasons and that lobby does have a grip in the democratic party. I think this stance by Obama is a wise choice if it gets funding for other areas of development to become more energy dependent.

And you detractors said he wasn't a different kind of politician. Doesn't this show you the environmental lobby isn't pulling his strings? I figured you would think that was a good thing.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
This is a new flip-flop...

There's already two threads discussing that he'd "consider" offshore drilling as a part of a comprehensive energy bill.

Thread 1

Thread 2

People are aware.

[edit on 8/2/08 by redmage]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Obama supporters call his massive flip-flops on major issues "compromise" - that is too funny and couldn't be farther from the truth.

How many times is he going to let you down before you determine he is a fake? A hoax!

On Thursday it was "air up our tires and get more tune-ups" as his answer to making up for the difference in Gas prices and avoiding having to off-shore drill.

On Friday, Congress decides to continue the ban on off-shore drilling while Republicans waited 5 hrs. after the meeting was ajourned to get Democrats to comeback and rethink this decision.

On Friday, Obama says he "may consider" off-shore drilling, not that he supports it one way or the other, just that he may consider it.

See a pattern here? He doesn't have to back those words now because Congress already made the descision.

He is simply trying to get more votes. That's it.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by redmage

Thanks, I somehow missed those and so did the OP.

I guess there is no limit to the number of Obama bashing threads.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet
Obama supporters call his massive flip-flops on major issues "compromise" - that is too funny and couldn't be farther from the truth.

First off, I'm not personally a "supporter", and he won't be recieving my vote; however, do you have a different direct quote, or merely "spun" articles & headlines?

Source
"My interest is in making sure we've got the kind of comprehensive energy policy that can bring down gas prices."

"If, in order to get that passed, we have to compromise in terms of a careful, well thought-out drilling strategy that was carefully circumscribed to avoid significant environmental damage - I don't want to be so rigid that we can't get something done,"

On Friday, Congress decides to continue the ban on off-shore drilling while Republicans waited 5 hrs. after the meeting was ajourned to get Democrats to comeback and rethink this decision.

"Republicans"? Do you mean those few guys who did a little goofing off to kick off their vacation?

Source

Only about a half-dozen Republicans were on the floor when this began, but the crowd has grown to about 20, according to Patrick O'Connor.

I love this," Shadegg told reporters up in the press gallery afterward. "Congress can be so boring. ... This is a kick."

"Rep Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) said "I am a Democrat and here is my energy plan" and he held up a picture of an old VW Bug with a sail attached to it. He paraded around he house floor with the sign while the crowd cheered."

"Republicans can thank Shadegg for turning on the microphones the first time. Apparently, the fiesty Arizona conservative started typing random codes into the chamber's public address system and accidentally typed the correct code"

Gotta love Shadegg just typing random codes into the system and actually hitting one!

He is simply trying to get more votes.

Now there's something we can agree on.

Showing a willingness to compromise is certainly a way to attempt to get more votes.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   

See a pattern here? He doesn't have to back those words now because Congress already made the descision.

He is simply trying to get more votes. That's it.

I disagree with this assessment...at least part of it. I do think this decision was to get more votes. However, I feel that he IS going to have to back these words. The congressional break is only 5 weeks. They are still going to be in session for a few months before election day. We need to make sure we hold his feet to the fire on this. I want to see some action when the break is over.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I hear ya, but somehow don't think this is going to happen.

Did you know Obama just flip-flopped on another issue? This time it's about providing reparations for descendents of Slaves. Recently, he supported this (see Quazga's thread).

Now he doesn't. Any surprise?

His flip-flops are getting rediculous and with each successive one he loses credibility.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by redmage

Originally posted by sos37
This is a new flip-flop...

There's already two threads discussing that he'd "consider" offshore drilling as a part of a comprehensive energy bill.

Thread 1

Thread 2

People are aware.

Geez I even looked at the political headlines before in Decision 2008 before I posted. Maybe the other two threads were in breaking news.

Okay no prob, I'll ask the mods to lock this thread.

[edit on 2-8-2008 by sos37]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Please direct your comments to the aforementioned threads.

Thank you.

Thread Closed.

new topics

top topics

join