It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Monopoly On Racism? - A Question to Everyone -

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Racism is racism no matter what group of people it is pointed towards. I believe it is no longer a matter of skin color, but a matter of haves or haves not. I do admit, even that can be under fire. With humility, understanding, love, and intelligence harmony can be achieved.

On to my question:

Is anti-white racism acceptable?

here is an article that I have found to be very telling.

When people want to talk about anti-white racism, they use various ways to do so. English speaking people will talk about either "anti-white racism" or "reverse racism". They have actually a third way which is not much used: albophobia, a scientific word about the irrationnal fear toward white people. it is made from the latin root Albus (white) and the greek root Phobos (fear) but it is seldom if ever used. you might take into account a fourth way, when anti-white is spelled antiwhite. A good way to evaluate the use of such expressions is to do keyword searches in the Google Search Engine and see how many pages are found.

Anti-White Racism Vs. Reverse Racism

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Racism is a term that is so often mis-understood.

The "black on white" racism that we speak so much of is more often than not, not genuine racism. Actual racism is based on the belief that your own race is inherently superior to those of other. Racism is based on power and without power being involved, it's not racism.

If a black man hates a white man because he is white, but doesn't feel he is superior, than it is a prejudicial mindset not one of racism. Seems contradicting, but racism is a complex subject matter.

• Racism: is prejudice or discrimination based on the belief that race is the primary factor determining human traits and abilities. Racism includes the belief that genetic or inherited differences produce the inherent superiority or inferiority of one race over another.

Originally posted by eye open doors
    Is anti-white racism acceptable?

All forms of racism and prejudice are equally as disgusting and repelling as the last.

If you don't like someone who cut you off and they were black, you're not a racist. If a black man doesn't like a white man because he robbed his new flat screen, he's not a racist. Racism implies power and it is a form of prejudice that entails you believe you are inherently superior.

[edit on 2-8-2008 by chissler]

• posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 06:42 PM
    link   
    reply to post by chissler

First of all I would like to acknowledge you, by thanking you for your clear, honest, and ego less reply. It is an example I am more then happy to follow. I also have hope that others follow in return.

Next in the name of progress and learning:

I have a few questions...

Can all racism be prejudice, but not all prejudice be racism?

Could it be that a person "hates" a certain race because they think they are better than?

and could this thinking of better than be an illusion of power over the other race?

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 07:53 PM
    link   

Can all racism be prejudice, but not all prejudice be racism?

I would like to acknowledge that I try not to speak in absolutes, and even when I am here (which I'm trying not to) it is all my own opinion and not fact.

But to respond to your question, I feel that all racism is a form of prejudice. You can not have racism without prejudging someone. However, you can have forms of prejudice without having racism. Prejudice is often forgotten that it is the simple act of prejudging someone. Whether it is a benign look, race, weight, orientation, whatever.. prejudging someone before you can base an assertion on fact is prejudice.

Could it be that a person "hates" a certain race because they think they are better than?

Certainly. I think that's what fueled all those years of slavery, that the white men in charge felt they were inherently better than their slaves and they hated them for it. But not all forms of hate are based on being superior than that of your "victim".

and could this thinking of better than be an illusion of power over the other race?

I hardly see it as an illusion considering what history shows in the realm of who has held power for so long. Perception is a strong tool. In the past, whites have perceived their superiority over the black race and it had instilled a sense of both infallibility and invincibility. With the oppressed black race, it instilled a sense of defeat.

But to go against what I've said in the last paragraph, I guess I also feel that any form of power is nothing more than an illusion in and of itself.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:27 PM
    link   
    We moved to Hammond, Lousiana, just as I started 9th grade. The school had just been integrated, and all of the white people who could beg, borrow, or steal the money were putting their kids in the private school. So I attended the formerly black school, and less than 15% of us were white that year. Prior to this I had never cared about the color of a person's skin. I had black friends, even had a black "boyfriend" when I was much younger. But during the four years I spent in Hammond, the blacks taught me not to trust them, to be suspicious of them, to avoid them in groups, and to never, ever forget that blacks and whites are NOT the same. To this day, and I'm 50 now, I avoid groups of black people and am somewhat nervous around black people I don't know.

When I was in the Navy, I was stationed in Hawaii, on Oahu, for four years. I discovered that the Polynesian natives have a derogatory term for white people, "Haole." Once or twice a year there would be a "kill Haole" day in the schools, and this was serious enough that the military would put out memos suggesting that everyone to keep their kids out of school that day. There were many other incidents I need not detail, but suffice it to say that I learned what it is to be the victim of prejudice/racism.

Do I think I'm better than anyone because of their race or skin color? No. But I've learned the hard way that humans are very prone to defining people as US and THEM, and race/color is one of the easiest ways to do that.
    Most of my friends are white now, and I live in an area that is less than 2% black. In fact, over 95% of the population is either Caucasian or Native American. I don't think anyone is less than me or better than me, but my preference is equal but separate.

Another thing that bothers me is that it is apparently unacceptable to be other than ashamed of being white. There's black pride, Mexican pride, Native American pride, Asian pride, etc. But say "white pride" and you might as well be wearing a white sheet and pointy hood. Why is there a cultural heritage month for nearly every race EXCEPT the Caucasians? Why is it okay for the black child to say "I'm proud to be black!" (or African-American), but not okay for the white child to be proud of being white?

Caucasians aren't the only bad guys on the planet, you know. (And I'm not talking about greys yet.) Every race has some atrocities, and all have members with great accomplishments. Black movers and shakers are celebrated conspicuously, but when do the white kids get a similar celebration? Some would say "all the time!" because so many scientists, musicians, all the presidents, etc. etc. were all white. Yeah, okay. But never is the point made "hey these guys were all white."

As a white person, I dare not go to the "black" side of town. They stare at me and mutter under their breath, and even the black man who used to be my husband's boss told me it's not safe. I know from experience that there are other places where I will be the one discriminated against, if I go there. But it's never spoken about or acknowledged.

As a white person, I dare not say that I am proud of who I am or I become a racist. Apparently I must always be ashamed, or at least humble, about what I am because all us whites have been and are such terrible people. No wonder we're stressed and popping pills in record numbers!

In an ideal world, heck in MY world if I could be Queen of the World, people would be valued and evaluated according to their words and deeds, and by nothing else. That'd be fine with me. But as long as there are people who insist on dividing people into US and THEM based on race and color, I am forced to do the same or suffer the consequences of my foolishness.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:12 PM
    link   
    I'm heavy into Intellectual Racism and I think you all are friggin idiots for posting your comments!

Actually you guys are right on. Racism is the feeling of being superior. You could be racist against people of a lower I.Q. This is very common and many people don't even notice it.

Dr. Sanity's The Left's Intellectual Racism

BTW I don't think he has a real Phd. in psychology, but it is an interesting read.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 08:26 PM
    link   
    Everybody knows only whitey can be a racist!
    Just look at the eastern Ivy League Colleges that's their mantra.
    Birds of a feather flock together it's just natural. It's just that the white birds are particularly evil!

top topics

join