It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cooking camp meat

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

I didn't mean specifics. I just meant the general area of where you were. I know most people don't want to divulge that info for personal reasons.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I like the wild game taste of deer, moose but for those who don't and in a camp setting.
onion soup mix ,makes a good flavor booster.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Fresh flesh - has a nice ring to it...

Many animals have worms and parasites when alive, not just when dead, especially fish.

I don't know why everyone is down on squirrels and rats, they're not bad to eat if you can get over the mental block. If you cook like I do, you can hardly taste anything but woodsmoke and charcoal anyway.

Possum, on the other hand, is a meal I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy - they're horrible, ugly, greasy critters, and eating one is like eating an old truck tire that's been buried in the marsh for weeks on end. Not a pleasant experience...

Deer/elk/moose, rabbit, squirrel, beaver - all good eating. I've never had fox or coyote, but I'm thinking they'd still be quite palatable. Bear is delicious, so are snakes and alligators , frogs, most fish...

I don't know that the OP is really correct in saying that bush meat or camp meat is so bad.

If you want to get down to brass tacks, the most readily available source of protein in a survival situation is likely to be insects and grubs. How's that on your palette?

There's still a good argument for bringing salt and pepper and the like - a little familiar flavor goes a long way towards improving morale.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
People are going to have to get used to it. Your seasonings won't last forever! People should try weaning themselves of spices before so it's not so hard when you do run out.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

You never know if an animal has heartworms and such, so cooking your meat is always suggested. So you've actually tried old truck tires

Most of the time the smoke will change the flavor of the meat anyways.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
People are going to have to get used to it. Your seasonings won't last forever! People should try weaning themselves of spices before so it's not so hard when you do run out.

I am just being optimistic here, but if TPTB come down hard enough to force people into survivalist seclusion, it should not last more than a year. The worst is they find you, send in the stormtroopers and you are either captured or killed. The best is that there is a revolution and the nation is one again reset so that people can come out of hiding.
Looking at the lists here and how many talk about stocking up for secluded survivalism, a lot are stocking up for a year, or just over.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

Optimism is good, but not always on the same wavelength as reality. You might be right, but i have a feeling it's going to last a lot longer than a year. That would suck because i love my garlic
And i don't know if i could survive without peanut butter

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

A little escargot and white grubs really aren't bad. Especially sauted in butter. Crickets and grasshoppers roasted aren't bad either. However I was onced asked to eat a roasted tarantula. It was hard to eat just rom the size alone, eeck I hate spiders.

respectfully
reluctantpawn

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
iv been thinking over this stuff sience my last post so heres a few other tips for cooking small game.

to tender up tough small game meat cut it in a checkerboard pattern down to the bone before boiling or roasting over the fire this breaks up the tough muscle groupings and give the meat a nice tenderness where usualy it would be tough.

when cooking snakes cut off the head if its venomus cut 4-6 inches behind the head to remove poison sacks then peel off the skin also dont forget to slice open the belly and remove the intestines. you can cook a snake just like much other small game so there realy isent any problem there.

you can perserve most meats by soaking them for a while in salt water or by smoking it but if you decide to go the smoking route remeber dont use woods that have resin that will ruin the meat and make sure your wood isent to dry if it is realy dry soak it for a bit first. smokers arent hard to put together so look around online and you can find some methods for good smokers while in the wild.

im still having trouble coming up to a answer for the problem of not having enough fat because most small game is very lean.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by krill

Good tips. For the most part a regular store diet is my personal preference but should the need arise the conversion is eased into a lot easier with the package of flavor enhancers. This being the point and one pound is not that different in your pack, should you become one that walks from place to place.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join