It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Popular acceptance' 100th monkey phenomena and detachment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Ok, some time i had the presumption that media shaped public opinion and reaction and that was the end of it. Now i think otherwise while observing my surroundings and the opinions they hold for possible/true and the way they handle it.

Six years ago i was sliding in the abyss of conspiracy theories, after the mandatory six months of mental panic about the state of the world and the near future i calmed down and just accepted what is and may be while softening my gloom and doom view on the world knowing that only bad news is news and the good things barely register on the conscious level or on the internet (at least on the big news-sites and conspiracy sites).

So i figured my info was scewed to the side of 'we're all gonna die and everybody is evil!' while it shouldn't have. Sure it's gonna be interesting and we may even get a Blockbuster movie ending at some point but there is always hope untill the last second, obviously.

Anyway, i was never realy ashamed of what i thought to be true and always told people what i thought about worldy affairs if the topic came up. I talked about people getting killed in suspect circumstances, possible future projects coming at us, even the whole 500 million people will be left over after some cataclysmic event worldwide. Well, the worst of the worst so to speak. just barely under 'we'll all be eaten by reptillians' on the scale of scary and unbelievabillity if you never heard of it.

Well, most of the time in the beginning when i started talking to friends/family/colleagues they would just brush it off not go into it or would go against it while keeping polite ofcourse. I am not someone to foam at the mounth and get wide-eyed when i talk about it. So if you wouldn't speak my language you would think i was talking about the weather or the newest Ipod, you sure wouldn't think i was talking about the world population being massacred, chipping, bioweapons and the whole thing horror/post-apocalyptic/dystopiatic movies are made of. (body-language helps
)

But the last year or so the topic would pop up, i would talk about what i believed and something miraculous happened, people were talking back to me with an additute like 'yeah, i heard about that, sounds plausible but whatever ey?' not in a defeatist tone mind you but in a detached one. I think in my surroundings with people really not keeping busy with this sort of stuff the acceptance of it and the way they handle a possible coming catastroph is pretty stunning. They don't keep themselves busy with it but they know something is iffy, how? Not even they can really tell you but where it wouldn't 'compute' 5 years ago it's now pretty much obvious.

Is this a 100th monkey phenomenon at work? Getting it started seperatly untill some criticall mass builds up untill it expands in the mass-consciousness? And the acceptance of it, what is the deal with that? If someone tells you that you have a 90% chance of dying you would get pretty freaked out i think, i certainly would in the beginning but when it is on a global scale or maybe when it is to big to stop there is a sort of acceptance that kicks in.

Anyway, it seems there is hope for acceptance of non-mainstream worldviews and MSM is pretty much helpless to stop it, our Subconcsious News Netwerk still works IMO

[edit on 2-8-2008 by Harman]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Well, because of the massive attention this thread gets i'll post a follow up why i think the whole detachment development is a good thing.

In the case of some massive unfolding of sinister plots everywhere to slap us silly with fear and hate for whatever enemy is created for the goal of taking over the world it would be in the making for several decades, pretty much planned out i'd say.

It does work with fear/hate as the main drive to get us rallied behind them. If we react detached on the whole charade they will lose a mayor handle to control us with and it would be a lot harder to keep us under control. I mean, if we can't be fooled/scared into submission they will have a lot more work with us. pacifistic resistance can kick butt if handled correctly.

THe detachment can help in rallying people for the real cause of freedom and happiness, like George Carlin named a show after it, life is worth losing.

[edit on 5-8-2008 by Harman]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I've noticed too that people are a lot more open about the possibility of cataclysmic events than they were a few years ago. To me, this is a red flag. I just can't help but wonder if maybe this is what they want us to believe. If any secret world organization does exist, then they would have to know the subtleties of the human brain, and how to manipulate it. So when so many people start considering such things, I have to ask why. Then again, I could be completely paranoid and wrong. Just my 2 cents.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthParadox

In my opinion it's the way they look at the possibility, in growing unease or in a relaxed manner? If it is growing unease/fear it is a bad thing but if it is with a relaxed atitude it isn't that effective for any organisation behind it.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Harman

It does work with fear/hate as the main drive to get us rallied behind them. If we react detached on the whole charade they will lose a mayor handle to control us with and it would be a lot harder to keep us under control. I mean, if we can't be fooled/scared into submission they will have a lot more work with us.

That is a glass is half full outlook on the situation. I am more of a glass is half empty person myself, and I see it more like the world has become so apathetic that they will be very easy to control. An extremely apathetic population would just fall in line and do what they are told.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I'm not sure about that one really, could be of course. But i'm thinking people are subconsciously waiting for when the boogy-men come out to begin the whole 'do it yourself' thing. It may not even be a call to arms or violent revolt but just a refusal to jump through the hoops and not being scared when there is some staged world-wide thing going on. I mean, people are aware of the things being planned on some level or another so when it happens we will see it for what it really is. Withh the help of the 100th monkey thing bypassing the mass-media.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Harman

I hope you are right.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Heh, same here
. Let's make it right.

join