It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From a British soldier in Afghanistan - REMEMBER THE ALAMO!!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthAmerica

And for that I applaud you, been a soldier is hard business this days, as a former marine wife I stood behind my marine husband for 22 years until retirement, my husband spend 18 in the middle east during desert storm.

[edit on 3-8-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

And for that I applaud you, been a soldier is hard business this days, as a former marine wife I stood behind my marine husband for 22 years until retirement, my husband spend 18 in the middle east during desert storm.

[edit on 3-8-2008 by marg6043]

No applause necessary from a Military Wife. You suffer as much as we do. I just want people to know there are lot of points of view and lot of us really believe in what we do. That Brit does. So do a lot of Joes I know. And I do too. I also respect those who don't think this is right and I will die to protect their right to disagree. In any case, none of us are Kool Aid drinkers. Well maybe some. There is always a bit of everything in any group.

Point is though, when you deploy, you have to tell yourself, hey, I might not come back. You have to accept that if something happens out there, the government might decide it's not worth it to save your life as an individual and in fact may purposely put you in a position to lose your life as a part of a deception without you even knowing it. You know things like send you as a diversion and those kind of things. Heck, they may even let you get attacked to justify a response that would otherwise not be appropriate. All of this is part of the deal when you swear in. In fact, I was very badly treated and abused for the last few months in the interest of our national security. So bad to me that I thought about seeking the help of my congressman or other outside resource. I dont mean a job I didn't like. I mean pain and suffering life altering experience that could have affected me the rest of my life. But I called home to my family, talked to my kid, hung up and decided that since I made the decision to do this. I will accept this responsibility and what ever it requires because I agreed to be here. So I did my duty and I know what I did helped our nation get a little stronger even if my life is trivial in the grand scheme. I ended up making it through a situation I could have not. Now its almost time to go home. It didn't kill me so I am stronger. I'm sure my British counterpart feels the same way about his mission and government. It is just the way things are sometimes.

Regards

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Thank you for your service.

And i would like to say that, after pages of posting, you have hit on the core of what i was wanting to convery:

These brave men and women are in harms way not because they chose to be in harms way. But because they chose to serve. Sometimes you draw the short straw, sometimes you don't. Is it fair? No, we have no right to expect fair in life (and we are setting ourselves up for LOTS of suffering if we do expect that....see "Buddha").

It isn't about fair, it isn't about choice. It is about duty and honor. The things that you can be respected for. And it is about doing what you must to make it through even the toughest of times.

I am proud that "Remember the Alamo" was the battle cry. It is part of my heritage that i am VERY proud of.

Peter Brit has my unwavering respect. Now, Darth, you do too.

God bless, and take care good sir.

[edit on 3-8-2008 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I agree Sorry about the Kool aid drinking, it wasn't until the after the post that I realized that you were in the military service and not a armchair warrior. I am very much against the reasons we invaded Iraq but not the reasons for been in Afghanistan.

My husband works now for the defense department still serving his country after 22 years of active duty.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

I agree Sorry about the Kool aid drinking, it wasn't until the after the post that I realized that you were in the military service and not a armchair warrior. I am very much against the reasons we invaded Iraq but not the reasons for been in Afghanistan.

My husband works now for the defense department still serving his country after 22 years of active duty.

Thanks to both of you and I respect anyone who disagrees with OIF as that is their right. Now, back to the Brits. Good men and women. I watched the Super Bowl with one while over here on AFN. Interacting with them I can say that they are very impressive. I think and awesome benefit of WW II and the Cold War is how well we can operate along side alliance troops.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
What Is A Veteran you may ask?

Well, a "Veteran" -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve, is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to (insert your country here) for an amount of "up to, and including his life."

THAT is honor, and there are way too many people in western society today who no longer understand or appreciate this fact.

And for those of you who think the Unites States of America is out to build and empire for itself, read on:

When in England at a large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example of "empire building" by George Bush.

He answered by saying, "Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked
for in return is enough to bury those that did not return."

TR

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I'm just wondering. Why would a British soldier say he should receive a purple heart? I realize he was making jest in saying this. But as far as I know, the U.S. military is the only one that awards a Purple Heart. Anyone know if the British military issues purple hearts as well? I googled and found in Wikipedia that the Purple Heart is a U.S. medal and the article says nothing about other countries issuing such named medals.

[edit on 4-8-2008 by kyred]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

How about providing a link to this forum that the Brittish Soldier has been posting on? That way those who want to can pass on their respect and well wishes to the soldier. It would also ensure that the more skeptical people at ATS can sleep easier.

Edit: Okay. Think I've found it: www.myopenforum.com...

Cheers

[edit on 4-8-2008 by cams]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
it is a somewhat private forum. You request membership, and then the admin reviews your request before granting it.

JSR

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
I am proud that "Remember the Alamo" was the battle cry. It is part of my heritage that i am VERY proud of.

i just wanted to say, that reading the OP made me very proud. i live right down the road from where that cry rang out. i dont agree with everything that goes on there, but like you said, sometimes you draw a short straw.

ive had frieds and family in both Afgan. and Iraq. and they all believe in what they are doing.

a brit said this?
.......oh well.......God Save the Queen !!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
If you go to the area on that forum that deals with foreign affairs and read some some of their posts you'll notice something a little creepy , like it's right out of the stepford wives . They all agree , they all have the exact same opinions . You can't tell one from another without the user name there . It's a geographical area designated forum (Texas), not ideological.. thats what makes it so weird.

[edit on 4-8-2008 by Gun Totin Gerbil]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gun Totin Gerbil
If you go to the area on that forum that deals with foreign affairs and read some some of their posts you'll notice something a little creepy , like it's right out of the stepford wives . They all agree , they all have the exact same opinions . You can't tell one from another without the user name there . It's a geographical area designated forum (Texas), not ideological.. thats what makes it so weird.

[edit on 4-8-2008 by Gun Totin Gerbil]

well, the topic of this thread is not "Myopenforum".

But, in a sense, you are partially correct. It is made up of fairly conservative, West Texans.

but i would say you didn't look very deeply. that particular forum has one individual, in particular, that is a one of a kind. if you really read the forum, you will know who i refer to (other than myself, of course!
).

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

They neither harboured or trained the terrorists. Indeed, after 9/11 the taliban leaders told the US they would capture and hand over Bin Laden if the US could come up with any evidence he was responsible for the attacks. The US said they would release the evidence to the taliban, but never did.

How about the $43m Bush gave the Taliban in mid-2001? If what you say is true, then Bush directly funded the people you claim are responsible for 9/11.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

Damning evidence if you can prove it. So, besides idle chatter or a google search how can you prove your statements? My ears are wide open.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
For those who care and were concerned for Peter, i wanted to share with you that he has arrived at home and is planning a vacation:

Just to let you know i arrived home Tuesday 12th August around 2100hrs. As you can imagine it was quite emotional, My wife did not expect me to be home until Wednesday 13th, so it was a surprise to her when i appeared at the door. I have missed my family so much these past months, i have to mention how proud i am of my wife XXXXX to have kept my family going and the way she kept in touch with my ex wife, so my 2 sons would be kept in the loop.

I have to be in work for the next 2 days to hand in equipment etc and be here for my Men, making sure all paperwork is complete etc, before they all go on leave on Friday. Saturday will see me, Karen and our daughter going on holiday for a week, unfortunately my 2 sons are in Corfu with their Mum at the moment, they will be home next week and then we will all go away together.

I cant tell you all how much your support meant, not just to me but to my men, over there nothing is secret, we share mail and news from home and pull together. So thank you all, a special thanks must go to Kay, a Lady i have never met but is and always will be Special to me and my Family.

May God Bless You All

He also says that he is looking forward to his trip, as he will get to finally see some "proper" tree's.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Thanks for the update. It's great that he made it home safely to his family. Is he home for good now, or just on leave ?

He has my graditude and respect for his service, as do all the men and women of the military. My prayers are with them all, as well as my hopes that they all make it home safely to their loved ones.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
It is a leave. I think he gets a month.

They were due to be rotated out for a leave in 2 weeks, but after the fight that is in the OP, that was expedited.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Well at least they moved their leave up, after what they had to endure in that last fight.

Hopefully the day will come soon when he will go home to stay.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join