It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How intelligent can the ET be?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
sty

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
In the past few weeks I started to wonder , how intelligent are they ? I come to the frittering conclusion that the ET visitors (if they exist) must be so intelligent that we are simply irrelevant to them ! Most likely it would be similar with our IQ and the one of the rats! Let me start with the beginning. (history source:wikipedia)

2400 BC: The abacus, the first known calculator, was invented by the Babylonians as an aid to simple arithmetic around this date. This laid the foundations for positional notation and later computing developments.

100 BC : The Antikythera mechanism is believed to be the earliest known mechanical analog computer.[1] It was designed to calculate astronomical positions. It was discovered in 1901 in the Antikythera wreck off the Greek island of Antikythera, between Kythera and Crete, and has been dated to circa 100 BC.

724 AD Chinese inventor Liang Ling-Can built the world's first fully mechanical clock; water clocks, some of them extremely accurate, had been known for centuries previous to this. This was an important technological leap forward; the earliest true computers, made a thousand years later, used technology based on that of clocks.[citation needed]

1946 : ENIAC (Electronic Numerical Integrator and Computer): One of the first totally electronic, valve driven, digital, computers. Development started in 1943 at the Ballistic Research Laboratory, USA, by John W. Mauchly and J. Presper Eckert. It weighed 30 tonnes and contained 18,000 electronic valves, consuming around 160 kW of electrical power. It could do 50,000 basic calculations a second. It was used for calculating ballistic trajectories and testing theories behind the hydrogen bomb.

2008 - first supercomputer to be able to process 1.026 quadrillion calculations per second

--end of Wikipedia sources -

what is the future ? this video can give an idea :

my guess:
2020 - we will be able to grow body-parts using donors DNA
2030 - we will be able to make DNA changes in order to increase intelligence
2040 - we will have super-computers able to directly connect with the human brain
2040 - we will be able to fully simulate the evolution of the humans using Evolutive computing, so we will be able to re-engineer the entire human DNA
2050 - we will successfully combine bio-engineering and nano-technology to perfectly integrate fist bio-circuits (bio-computers) into the human brain
2070 - we will be able to integrate fast quantic computers as a part of the human brain
2100 - the biological human will be obsolete .

Now, going back to the ET question - what if actually the universe traveling technologies would require science we would not understand even if explained to us ? possible that our ET travelers actually passed the biological stage from old old ancient times , and now their brain would have billion times more processing power than our brain . How would we interact with this kind of entities? does this explain why we cannot understand the phenomena, even if reported we do not get it?

just some strange Friday night thoughts, i hope you enjoy them

STY

[edit on 1-8-2008 by sty]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
All of your advances are irrelevant if we want to become ET. We have to beat the speed of light.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Your history dates are well off. Those are the assumed historic dates through assumed physical evidence. However several times has mankind nearly been wiped out along side of their civilization "their world".

I'd more look at the positive alien forces relationship to humanity more along the lines of a much older brother and a bratty little annoying child.

Mankind, men, have the ability right now for much higher intelligents then they seem able. This would require a self willed effort to improve upon their own beings psychological state of mind. It would require each man to remove from himself the beastly natured creature of eveloution.

sty

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Incarnated

the history lesson is originated from Wikipedia as mentioned. I am not sure about how they dated the ancient IT artifacts, however you get the point - we are getting better and better, and an extraterrestrial civilization is likely to have done this maybe millions of years ago..

sty

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by redled

what I wanted to say with my predictions - maybe we cannot beat the speed of light (traveling across the universe) as our actual brains are too limited to understand that level of science .Just hoping that better brains will lead to better results in science. We invented machines to travel for us , why not machines to reason with us ?

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sty
reply to post by redled

what I wanted to say with my predictions - maybe we cannot beat the speed of light (traveling across the universe) as our actual brains are too limited to understand that level of science .Just hoping that better brains will lead to better results in science. We invented machines to travel for us , why not machines to reason with us ?

Totally agree, but ye was getting lost on minutae. Civilisations could have lived a long time ago in a galaxy far away. We have to construct each piece of science.

sty

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by redled

haha, unless we are the earliest civilization in the galaxy! But if there are civilizations earlier than us even with 100 000 years it could create a huge gap in communicating with them simply because of their IQ..

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Aliens communicate at a level that we can't even comprehend as of yet, we have a vague understanding but can not do the same with the same capacity as them. They basically control our minds by them simply thinking about it.

They perhaps control or maneuver their crafts just by thinking, they may even have machines that will interpret their thoughts into action....what do we have? uhmmmm....yeah, I can't think of anything remotely close.

They can travel at the speed of light and can even see or know where the worm holes and the such is at...what do we have in relation to that? uhmm, Theories!!!

There are so many things if you need comparison with us and aliens with regards to intelligence....that well, we fall so far short that is ridiculous unreal and so damn embarrassing.

So, how intelligent are they? We can't even begin to imagine how intelligent they are, we are just so pathetic human beings that all we do is want more and more and destroy this beautiful world we call earth, not to mention destroy life itself.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Ok, but the thing is, you're thinking there's just one species of aliens, correct? There could be several advanced alien civilizations, every single one more advanced than the last.

Some could be so advanced we couldn't even imagine, maybe they have found out how to travel through different dimensions, create wormholes, control weather on their planet, make their thoughts come true and even change reality itself.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Clifford Stone, US Army Ret., has spent his entire military career "working UFO cases." I might add for lack of a better term...up close & personal. He commented on his website, EBE civilizations may be 1-2 Billion years old. Rather interesting food for thought.

sty

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
1 billion years in advance would make them.. ehm.. really superior , maybe what the ancient cultures would call "Gods" . If we continue to double our processors power every 2 years , it would mean 1 000 000 more powerful computers in the next 40 years and about 1 billion times faster computers within the next 60 years! I simply cannot find a use of this kind of computer for an average user , but the science will enjoy it a lot ! So if a civilization would have billion years in advance of our civilization.. it would be simply religion to speculate about their achievements

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
It's no good trying to pinpoint the level of alien intelligence. It is more complex than what sort of machinery they build or what their society is like.

Do you put a limit to evolution? Who knows what kind of intelligence an alien race can possess, or how much of it, or for what reason it exists. What matters most though is how they use it.

Look at the time lengths people always post... These aliens are always hundreds of thousands of years, millions of years ahead of us in our imaginations. Yet imagine how a person from five hundred years ago would feel if they suddenly got dropped into today's world. Look at us -- we're no angels, nor are we too bright in many of our day-to-day activities, yet we've succeeded in creating technology that can get a person around the planet and back in a matter of hours instead of months and months. We've stepped on the surface of our moon. We are able to search the surface of Mars for signs of life, analyzing its soil WITHOUT setting foot there. We are able to view the far reaches of our solar system, analyzing atmospheres and surfaces. That poor time-travelling person would be shocked out of their wits. Now imagine how one of US would feel if we were the ones being transported five hundred years into the future.

We know so little about aliens that any speculation we make is really just that -- speculation. We can't even agree on whether we've ever been "visited" by any of them. Maybe they're here. Maybe they're not. But it will take more than a UFO sighting and an abduction memory to understand who such beings could be in terms of WHAT they are and HOW they express themselves. More than even a million of those encounters. We barely even understand ourselves as it is.

sty

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Siblin

I agree with you on several points. However, we are for the first time ever able to accelerate our own evolution and possible re-engineer our own DNA . The human brain works with several cycles a second, just imagine if we find a way to speed it up to millions of cycles a second
Yes, we are not biologically different from the people of the ancient Egypt however things will not be the same in the next 100 years.For the first time ever we can speed up our own evolution! And I imagine some alien civilizations already used this idea in order to speed up their own evolution.
My question still remains somehow this:If Aliens exist, how intelligent is too intelligent for humans to be able to understand? Is this why we do not "see" them?

[edit on 2-8-2008 by sty]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Well noone knows how intelligent ET's are becuause.

A) we dont know they exist

Soo its large jump to be making,but hypothetically ...We could use a starting point of the big bang say...14 billion years...wouldnt be too hard to imagine if a civilization could last for hundreds of millions of years...then again...take into the fact multiple universes may exist..Branes whatever...alien civilizations could be billions of years old and have found ways to punch through these different branes and colonise not just galaxies but whole universes....again hypothetical,but pretty damn cool if i was right!

[edit on 2-8-2008 by Lethil]

sty

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Lethil

when I was a student back in the 1995 , my teacher (stress analysis teacher) said that he was so impressed that we double the quantity of knowledge we know (as human race at a whole) at every 10 years! Back in the times of Jesus you will need 500 years to do that. From some sources I cannot recall , it looks like we double the amount of known science at every 2 years ! so the acceleration itself is accelerating!
here is a nice 20 minutes video (I hope)

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Cant view youtube videos just now...isp cut back bandwidth..but i know what you are talking about,i simply see it as a breakthrough in certain technologies which have a huge amount of uses,thereofre it seems like things are progressing...10 years from now it will be quantum computers...now from valves...to transistors...to atoms in 100 years or so is a *huge* leap...i can only see it getting faster..

sty

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Lethil

sorry about your ISP . If we make the first quantum computers commercially available by 2010 we could see things happening faster then expected indeed. I am not sure how this quantum computing works , but here is a Wikipedia link with the history of quantum computing:

en.wikipedia.org...

the interesting thing is that some day they could design DNA proteins to produce this kind of transistors right inside the brain. Then I am not sure what we are going to do with that brain haha ,but possible we will do bit more than we can do today . I hope this kind of intelligence will create the space-traveling technologies we need in order to go to the stars.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Yes i love technology,in some ways im glad i could see this huge dramtic shift in mankind...then again im selfish and would like to see the far out not even imaginable stuff in a thousand years time...considering we survive that long..
Anyway quantum computers would be absolutely breathtakingly beyong anything we know...just googled and there is 28000000000000000000000 atoms in a penny...now imagine somethign the size of your average processor...very very sexy!
considering it wasnt too long ago they started adding numbers etc together with only 3 atoms...then we have holographics tv's in the next 10 years also..going to be a good time to be alive is all i can say...

As for travelling large distances in the universe...assuming punching through space and time isnt possible...there is a tropical frog which freezes during winter here on earth...after winter it defrosts and comes back to life.It releases a chemical before freezing which stops blood cells etc rupturing due to the ice crstal formations...so it doesnt die and survives...a bit of DNA modification could do this to humans...cryogenically freeze us...ship us light years way and defrost us once we are there...

sty

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Lethil

wow , it is even hard to read that number! Yes, i`v heard about an 8 atoms "processor" that could make multiplications to 100 . Someone said that a processor with the size of a grain of sand could exceed the processing power of the entire brain ( power per cycle ).
Even if a basic transistor would have like 50 atoms , then a dual core processor would fit over 500000 billion times inside your 1 penny coin
Would this kind of machine develope science we cannot understand ? possible even ways of traveling into space without the freezing bit? . I would like to see the Earth of the year 3000 indeed. Thanks for the reply, it feels good I am not the only one to look up for this kind of science developments

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by sty
reply to post by Lethil

wow , it is even hard to read that number! Yes, i`v heard about an 8 atoms "processor" that could make multiplications to 100 . Someone said that a processor with the size of a grain of sand could exceed the processing power of the entire brain ( power per cycle ).
Even if a basic transistor would have like 50 atoms , then a dual core processor would fit over 500000 billion times inside your 1 penny coin
Would this kind of machine develope science we cannot understand ? possible even ways of traveling into space without the freezing bit? . I would like to see the Earth of the year 3000 indeed. Thanks for the reply, it feels good I am not the only one to look up for this kind of science developments

We *already* have computers that outprocess the brain...but thats not what makes the brain better..its the way in which we use that power,also conscious which really isnt understood yet...but we know it occurs in different species to varying degrees...then we have chemicals...the brain and body are not sperate...chemcials influence the feeling you get ..love...pain..jealousy etc....its very hard to understand we are just getting there...a university recently mapped out the neuron pathways of a mice brain...its still not anywhere near the complexity of technology we are talking aobut,but if we humans dislodge the animalistic tenedencies we have of war,greed and power...there really is no limit...even teleporation! will be around in our lifetimes at the rate of acceleration we are in...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join