It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regarding Chat

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Is temp chat down or something? I just got back and i'm never upto date here....

Someone mind posting a link? ..or pming me th new chat link...

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
TBH it would be ok with me if chat never came back to ATS.There is waay to many DRAMA QUEENS and STIRRERS in there (and yes males can be drama queens too).What could be a unique and special function of ATS is basically like any other chatroom on the net with perhaps stricter rules.Instead of being interesting and informative of ATS related subjects in there its all about egos and look at me people.I havnt been in the temp chat room and not sure if i will but talking to a few members who have it sounds like its turned in to even more school yard whiney dramas.Also before anyone calls me out yes i spent a bit of time in the ole chatroom and talked rubbish and pushed the rules sometimes.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Azador

I agree with Azador.
Chat is a fun little perk for members here, but when people are coming here and spending more time in chat than it kinda defeats the purpose of the site IMHO.
Messenger works if you wanna chat with people.
There have been far too many instances of this perk being abused, in just the 18 months I've been here.
Honestly I would have to say that Djarums is quite tolerant of a lot, and I cannot say that I would be the same.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I think a lot of the point I've been trying to make has been missed.

As I have said on numerous occasions we do not try to control what people do on other sites. I certainly do not profess to be able to control what people do on sites other than ATS. I was initially very happy when I heard that someone had set up a temporary chat room until we were able to straighten things out on our end. As you all probably know by now, ours is an issue of technology that needs to be worked out. We have more security than most run-of-the-mill message boards and there is a lot that needs to be taken into account when adding a chat capability. One of the main issues we have to deal with is exactly what the problem in this temp chat was. We have to be able to link the chat database to the forum database to ensure no one can sign on and pretend to be someone else. You might not realize it but that takes time and myself and Bill have been working on trying out different chat programs that our members will enjoy.

Now to the issue at hand... Let me try and explain why I got so upset about what happened.

Since being given ownership of the chat feature on ATS by the Amigos (before I became an Admin) I have made it my business to go into chat as often as possible because I felt that a common complaint that people had was that staff members, particular senior level staff, either seemed intimidating or not easy to approach. I came into chat as often as I could to be able to interact with members, help them out with any issues I could, and just get to know people better. Chat has caused us many problems over the years with regard to various activities and discussions by members who refused to listen to rules but I constantly found myself fighting for it to remain a perk for our membership because the good of chat outweighed the occasional trouble.

For someone to go into a chat room, offsite or wherever, claim to be me and act in an abusive fashion towards people offends and disgusts me. I do not now, nor have I ever acted in a disrespectful way towards members, whether on our forum, our chat room, or even on MSN (most of you know my name on there).

What further infuriated me is that people believed that this person was me. I don't know about you but when I see someone acting in a completely different manner from their usual behavior I would want some evidence that it's them. Simply asking this person to send a u2u or email from my name, which would take all of 30 seconds would have been a fairly easy thing to do. The fact that people were so willing to believe it was me behaving in such a manner is insulting to me.

Incidentally, anyone who knows me at all, knows full well that I do not drink alcohol, and have not in a minimum of 10 years. As a volunteer EMT for many years I've pulled enough people out of wrecked cars to know well enough not to engage in activities that make one lose control. Anyways, that's just a side point.

I'm not going to ban/warn/discipline the person who it was who pretended to be me and tried to make me look like someone I'm not. It has never been our policy to go after people for things they do on other sites and I'm not changing that policy.

So what happens now? Nothing. The person who did it can read this message and understand that what they might have that was amusing really insulted someone who did not do anything to deserve that. If that person chooses to be a man and u2u me an apology, fine. We can move on. Otherwise it's simply something that was uncalled for, hurtful, and something I wish would not have happened.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Wow...

This is what i have been missing... i feel slighted...

This could have been funny, if they came clean right after... Done in poor taste...

I wish you the Best of luck in catching the Imposter... and fixing the Chat...

I miss 4am Chat sessions...

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
DJ,

I can't agree with you on this.

I feel, if you were to find the person or persons who did this, they should be IP banned from ATS.

If they would do that sort of scum-bag thing there, who knows what they would do here.

Further, where-as the temp chat is on another site, it is listed as temp "ATS" chat.

If it has ATS name on it, it should follow ATS rules or be renamed something without the ATS name.

Sadly, Bo, IP's can very easily be spoofed, so any IP you get need be very carefully considered before any action occurs.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
*BUMP*

WEll i hate to have to bump this but it seems its now happening to others,

Please if you cannot use a chat room in a proper manner then go elsewhere,

REally there are pleanty of other chat rooms where you can mess about,

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
What is the link to the temporary chat? I'd like to check it out to see what is going on. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by asala

Please if you cannot use a chat room in a proper manner then go elsewhere,

You know, this is really becoming very disturbing...

bodrul took time out of his day to set up a chat room for people to use during the time period that ATS's official chat is down. He didn't have to do that. Instead of appreciating having somewhere to "hang out" during the downtime, there are certain people who seem to be using it specifically to be disruptive and harass other members.

I really don't understand why someone would behave in this manner.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Yes its pretty sad and its not nice for Bodrul who took the time to do this for the chat members of ATs,

He really put effort in to making it very simular so ATS members could enjoy his chat room,

one person always has to mess it up for everyone else,

And who ever you are you should be dissapointed in yourself,

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Great movie quote fits here :

"idiot... comes from upbringing, parents are probably idiots too"....:shk:

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join