It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Cell Phone Doesn't Like Tibetan Bowl - Anyone know why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
A weird thing just happened to me while on my cell. I got bored and started hitting the mallet on the Tibetan bowl I purchased recently. I noticed that when I banged really hard and made loud sounds, the audio coming from the other line would get extremely static/noisy . Even now, I am doing it while talking to my sister on the phone and the bowl makes the line choppy and fuzzy and my sister's voice is cutting in and out. I don't know what is causing this to happen, and I am wondering if anyone here has experienced the same thing or possibly has an explanation for this.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I'm no expert but there's a thought straight off the top of my head that says what you're encountering could be a form of sympathetic resonance. Could be that the sounds your bowl makes when you hit it either resonates on the same frequency as that of your cellphone's speaker or interferes with it in some way. This is just an uninformed opinion mind you, better to wait for the experts to chime in.

[edit on 8.1.08 by toreishi]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

Thanks for your post, yeah I was thinking along the same lines. I don't know if it's radio waves that a cell phone uses but I do know it's some kinda wave, and I was wondering if the tibetan bowl's vibrations were interfering with those waves...But yeah hopefully we'll get someone who know more about the topic to reply

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I'm sorry, though may I ask what a tibetan bowl is? I'm guessing like almost a drum? Or chime? I was just curious, though if they are they yes I would suppose the vibration interferes with the speaker, especially if the bowls create a bass or low sound.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Hanslune, have you ever used a tibetan bowl? It's a remarkable instrument.

Tibetan Singing Bowl Wiki

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I saw them used in a Tibetan refugee camp in Nepal and again in India. Don't remember if it was Indians or Tibetans doing the show however.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by leira7

I assume you know your not supposed to "hit the bowl" but rather drag the "mallet" around the rim.

Unless your using a padded mallet you dont just hit it.

[edit on 1-8-2008 by Scott]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by toreishi
I'm no expert but there's a thought straight off the top of my head that says what you're encountering could be a form of sympathetic resonance. Could be that the sounds your bowl makes when you hit it either resonates on the same frequency as that of your cellphone's speaker or interferes with it in some way. This is just an uninformed opinion mind you, better to wait for the experts to chime in.

[edit on 8.1.08 by toreishi]

That was pretty much what I was going to say, resonance is messing with your signal, watch the signal bar as you do it and try and get the vibration to last longer.

EMM

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scott
reply to post by leira7

I assume you know your not supposed to "hit the bowl" but rather drag the "mallet" around the rim.

Unless your using a padded mallet you dont just hit it.

[edit on 1-8-2008 by Scott]

that's what i recall from those days in Phoenix at the gatherings at the Church of Tsadi... the Tibetian bowl would produce this bone vibrating resonance when the rim was stroked...
~just like playing wine glasses with a moistened finger tip~

but the Tibetian bowl resonance was a 'pure' vibration...which is thought to invigorate ones' soul or astral body.
the Church sorta used the resonance as a sort of 'communion' for those gathered there, where we all had a shared personal experience....

somewhere in this tale is the suggestion that the resonance interferes with the digital processing of your cell phone.. a scientific explaination should be forthcoming from one of the brains here at ATS, but until then my comfort zone is satisified that the cell phone disruption with the pure Tibetian bowl resonance is a meta-physical thing.

side note: i met this man who could whistle in such a high pitch that it would fog ones mental state and make one's ears 'ring' for several minutes afterward.... i guess he was able to produce on humans what dog whistles produce on dogs, that is, really get them attentuated-alert-on edge

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
although it could be some sort of sound wave interference, from years of experience as a cell phone tech, I'd have to say it's due to internal compression. with most cell phones, whenever there is a loud noise, it tends to cut out the audio from the other persons voice.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Scott

yeah I know how to drag the mallet across the rim to make it sing, put I was just playin around with it that day...

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Cellphones now in days operate at the 900 MHz to the 1800 MHz maybe the bowl is resonating at that frequency. Once we were practicing at my house and I played a very high note on my 5 string bass which made the computer monitors flicker and also the TVs there. So yes this is possible. I could also listen to radio with my amplifier :p

Edit: bass... not base lol

[edit on 8/5/2008 by jamiros]

new topics

top topics

join