It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is experience necessary?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

I actually posted about Obama's experience here.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

And according to this source: How Good Are Experienced Presidents? some of our best presidents have had less than Obama. And some of our worst have MUCH more experience...

So, I would say to your kitty there, the only real qualifications to be President are fully met by Barack Obama.
And experience has not shown to be telling in the final assessment.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Experience matters. Would you rather have a doctor with experience operating on you or a doctor with very little or no experience? An experience politician knows the ropes and can easily work things to his or her advantage. That doesn't mean I wouldn't vote for an inexperience person, especially as President. Primarily because they are advised by people who usually have years of experience.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Experience matters. Would you rather have a doctor with experience operating on you or a doctor with very little or no experience? An experience politician knows the ropes and can easily work things to his or her advantage. That doesn't mean I wouldn't vote for an inexperience person, especially as President. Primarily because they are advised by people who usually have years of experience.

We are electing a doctor. A doctor legally has to go to school for X amount of years and have X amount of residency and specialization.

A president has to be a natural born citizen AND older than 35.. thats it. Nothing more. Thats the BEAUTY of a democracy, is that it can be ran by a farmer or a rich oil magnate, or a lawyer, or someone who has sat on his ass for 35 years. It doesn't matter.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
...or someone who has sat on his ass for 35 years. It doesn't matter.

Crud, I knew I forgot to file some extra paperwork this year. Uh, just write me in...and if I win, send me an email so I can get things packed up in a U-Haul by January.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Do we not experience the world after come to life?

^^That's that real experience. No person lacks experience. Dont let any deceive you.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mabus
Do we not experience the world after come to life?

^^That's that real experience. No person lacks experience. Dont let any deceive you.

Heh.. this is the best post I've seen all day.

Life is all the experience one requires to be President of a Free world.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Experience is not necessary in America now, top qualifications for most sponge head MSM absorbing Americans are Celebrity, Charm and personality. People aren't looking for an experienced leader for our nation, they want a good salesman.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

You put in an inexperience President and strip him of all the experience that surrounds him and you would have a fool as President. He wouldn't know where to start or what to do. Obama has experienced advisers all around him telling what to say and what to do. That's why I said that I would vote for an inexperienced person running for President because his advisers are the one's that are guiding him on what to do. That means that the President will be getting on the job experience just like every President that came before him.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Yeah, i want a politician who can easily work things to his advantage, not the advantage of the american people. Wait, don't we already have one of those?

The number one qualification for President should be sound judgement. I'm not saying Obama has more of that than McCain or anything. I'm just saying a doctor goes to school for years to learn how to operate, it's not really a judgement type thing. But if you ask George Washington i bet he'd tell you experience isn't really necessary. Hell, in his opinion political parties weren't even a good thing.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   

reply to post by Quazga

You put in an inexperience President and strip him of all the experience that surrounds him and you would have a fool as President. He wouldn't know where to start or what to do. Obama has experienced advisers all around him telling what to say and what to do. That's why I said that I would vote for an inexperienced person running for President because his advisers are the one's that are guiding him on what to do. That means that the President will be getting on the job experience just like every President that came before him.

Well thats kinda my point. The founding fathers saw fit to make only three requirements for President.

1. Be 35 or over...
2. Be a natural Citizen
3. Be voted in by the people

If a fool is elected president... so be it. But, I for one have faith in the American people to eventually work it out.

I knew in 2000 that voting for Nader meant that the Dems would have to wake up. Well in my opinion they have. America got 8 years of an unscrupulous pathological liar. Now the Dems have the power. Its just a pity the GOP couldnt have picked someone a bit better in 2000.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

McCain is an idiot in many respects, a grandiose showboater who wants to be loved ( although at least he had the decency to be an underachieving student, as opposed to a petty pencil-sharpened turn-your-papers-in hack like Obama, who has spent his whole life being told about his potential without developing sufficient realism to want to put his foot wrong - Obama is a hatrack, a kazoo, a frozen waffle toaster-style)
BUT
There is one type of experience that schools properly, which schools properly OK, that McCain has and Obama lacks, the exciting imprisonment
exchange student program.
Not because it makes him "patriotic"
Not in case he did anything "heroic", he could have been cowardly and still gotten the good lesson out of it
But just because it seems to me that spending months at least okay years, in pain, in fear, always somewhat powerless except to have self-control and endurance in suffering, at the mercy of many who hate you and are but lightly law-constrained...THIS is the experience that can teach you what life and the world are all about.
Think about it...Has there ever been a boss revolutionary who hasn't first been imprisoned and improved...Let's see, Lenin, Castro, Hitler, Stalin, Trotsky, I'll count Spartacus as he was enslaved, Toussaint L' Ouverture, et cetera et cetera
Has there ever been anyone who graduated first in his class (excepting hard sciences, which is more better real) who has ever amounted to anything particularly cool ... any intense fanatical oldtime priests, with butter-soft hands, do more than lead a terror against the helpless?
Now I'm not saying that McCain is a revolutionary, but that his encounter with powerlessness taught him something serious, which our leader oughta know.
I don't see signs of Obama knowing anything so peak or real. He's so happy doing his tricks, "Look ma no hands!"...soon enough when it'll be years of " Mommie you're not watching me!!!"

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

I can see your point regarding McCain, and the experiences that he endured being the type of experiences that create character in a man. Not always the character, however which we agree with in policy. As you have mentioned Fidel Castro, as one of these men.

However, I do not see your take on Obama as pulling tricks. He was a grass roots organizer who took his ability to inspire others on the road. So after being a grass roots organizer, he played in local politics to inspire people. He wrote some inspirational books as well.

So now he's inspiring millions in a bid for the presidency. He's not doing anything I haven't wanted him to do. Does he have hiccups? Sure. He's human. Just like McCain.

However, I see him as having a much larger effect on people than what you are presuposing is infatuation.

Thanks for the well thought out post!

[edit on 2-8-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Experience matters. Would you rather have a doctor with experience operating on you or a doctor with very little or no experience?

This is an argument for good bureaucrats, not necessarily good leaders. My answer: I would prefer a doctor that had enough common sense to refer me to another doctor, if there was any risk involved.

And that referring doctor would have really accomplished something.

It takes good sense, not good experience, to be a good leader. Especially true of a large enterprise, like the USA. That should be as clear as day.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   

reply to post by Quazga

Well thats kinda my point. The founding fathers saw fit to make only three requirements for President. 1. Be 35 or over... 2. Be a natural Citizen 3. Be voted in by the people

I've always been struck by the fact that the Constitution implemented a figurehead for government, not necessarily a leader. The founding fathers wanted a focus, like a King, but with very very limited power.

Recently, Congress was foolish enough to give the reins of war over to GW -- that was a huge and ugly mistake. The President DOES NOT have the power to wage war without the enabling of Congress. Reagan learned that the hard way from Iran / Contra.

Given that -- Obama would make a great figurehead to this government. It would be the most powerful symbol I can think of to rectify the grievous and often ignored problems of our past.

(....Among other reasons to vote for Obama)

Edit: I'm going to get these stupid markup codes correct, eventually.

[edit on 2-8-2008 by Buck Division]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Alarmist2012
Experience is not necessary in America now, top qualifications for most sponge head MSM absorbing Americans are Celebrity, Charm and personality. People aren't looking for an experienced leader for our nation, they want a good salesman.

I'd have to agree with that.

I think for too long, we have had presidents who didn't sell America well enough. Now mind you that's not "hate america" speech. That's being a good CEO and knowing when your EVP of Sales sucks. You get rid of the bum and hope to find someone better.

Every once in a while, you get that one rainmaker. And that's what Obama is.

seriously.

[edit on 2-8-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Buck Division

Thanks, Buck Division, for the contribution

Let me know if you need any help with the markup :-)

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by nine-eyed-eel
But just because it seems to me that spending months at least okay years, in pain, in fear, always somewhat powerless except to have self-control and endurance in suffering, at the mercy of many who hate you and are but lightly law-constrained...THIS is the experience that can teach you what life and the world are all about.

I wonder, do you feel that Americans imprisoned in our prison system have improved? They spend months and sometimes years in pain and fear, somewhat powerless at the mercy of those who hate them... For some reason, that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling... I wouldn't want them to be my leader. That's the WRONG kind of experience, in my opinion.

I just wonder why people think this was a positive experience for McCain. I don't get that.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

why on earth would we set bush as the standard? and in todays world bush did have the right qualifications, he was a souless political insider related to all the right people. sounds to me like obama has all the same qualifications, plus some. at least obama can form full sentances.

oh yeah nice going throwing me on ignore. thats always nice, just blot out diffrent veiwpoints. way to deny ignorance.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by nine-eyed-eel

I wonder, do you feel that Americans imprisoned in our prison system have improved?

My friends who have been convicts are much more focussed and disciplined than they were previously...Of course that's just anecdotal, depends who you know I guess...They tend collectively to make the point that on the street, you can continue to repetitively do a bunch of lame scenarios, and then run away because there's a big world that you can get lost in, whereas in prison, in the restricted space, it's harder to evade the consequences of your next choice...
But this is probably off-topic...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join