It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Can Hold Citizens As Combatants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Associated Press [US]
January 8th, 2002

WASHINGTON - A federal appeals court ruled Wednesday that the government can hold U.S. citizens as enemy combatants during wartime without the constitutional protections afforded Americans in criminal prosecutions.

Here is the rest of the story:
www.newsfrombabylon.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Well I don't have time to read the article just yet, but doesn't this make sense? If they are fighting for the enemy, why should they get a lawyer?

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The precedent for this goes back to the Civil War. Enemies foreign and domestic are targets of the US military.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Because you have certain rights if you are an american citizen. One thing is to do that with terrorists who are NOT citizens. But to take away an american's constitutional rights is just wrong. The problem I see with this also is that this power could potentialy be used to imprision innocent americans who have nothing to do with terrorism.

[Edited on 9-1-2003 by Ocelot]

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot
One thing is to do that with terrorists who are NOT citizens. But to take away an american's constitutional rights is just wrong. The problem I see with this also is that this power could potentialy be used to imprision innocent americans who have nothing to do with terrorism.

[Edited on 9-1-2003 by Ocelot]

It�s also a power that can be used to imprison any foreign national indefinitely without trial. The US has invented a new form of prisoner called "detainee", and maintains that these detainees are not prisoners of war and are therefore not covered by international law either.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 07:30 PM
link   
We don't take away any rights, any american whom fights against america with an enemy of america, sh!ts on the constitution, and throws away his own rights.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 08:19 PM
link   
So...those losers are out trying to kill Americans for no reason, destroy our economy and to create havoc in society....but we need to worry about their RIGHTS when they're caught???

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Yall are crazy Ocelot is right it called being detain forever or until they see fit what if there wrong!! ur screwed

posted on Jan, 9 2003 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeMason
We don't take away any rights, any american whom fights against america with an enemy of america, sh!ts on the constitution, and throws away his own rights.

So which government agency do you trust to decide which people are stripped of their rights?

posted on Jan, 9 2003 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I think the point here is that in the case of Yaser Esam he was obviously an active combatant, in the case of the people arrested directly after the event and held without bail some of whome were released with no charge only recently, the line is more blurred.

your letting your government take away a lot of the freedoms you enjoy, most specificaly the fact that you are innocent until proven guilty.

this is just another court ruling which will allow the govt to detain people who may well be completely innocent.

one suspects you will soon be allowed to fine people found being "anti-american"

posted on Jan, 9 2003 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by OcelotThe problem I see with this also is that this power could potentialy be used to imprision innocent americans who have nothing to do with terrorism.

...And combined with the Homeland Security Act's very *loose* definition of "Terrorist", this makes a very potent weapon for use against even the most law-abiding citizen...Merely plant some circumstantial evidence & let the heads roll...

Wake Up People!

posted on Jan, 9 2003 @ 11:32 AM
link   
It's hilarious hearing all these "stories" about losing rights, when in fact nobody on this board will ever lose their rights so quit lying.

Oh, I have nothing to hide and worry about...do you for some reason????

new topics

top topics

join