It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Key to Wisdom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Understanding- Understanding is knowing about what a certain object, thing, place, or person is used for.

Knowledge- Knowledge is when you understand what will happen when you put understandings together.

Wisdom- Wisdom is the end result of knowledge.

Discernment- Discernment is knowing the difference between certain understandings.

Determination- Determination is the key aspect to wisdom. How? To keep urself from giving up. It keeps you going.

Case and point. You want to build a small boat. You need understanding as to what to use when building a boat. Wood, nails etc. Knowledge is what you know will happen when you put these things together the right way. Determination helps keep you going while you build the boat. Discernment helps you understand the difference between a board and a nail. Knowledge helps Know where to put it from there on. When you have finished making the boat, you have just aqcuired Wisdom. Now you know exactly how to build a boat.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
The key to wisdom, is in the word, wi/is/do/m

WE, IS, DO,MMMMMMMMMMMMM.

we is dumb

=wizdumb

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
knowledge speaks, wisdom listens

i think wisdom is realising that we know very very little!

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Hi, heres what I know about the information continum.

Starts with percepts, these are building blocks, when interconnected they become an individuals knowledge. Its the things one can sense, for example heat, cold, moisture, its what we feel.

Next is data, its what we collect when wanting to make sense of percepts. Data are basic bits of information that do not have a context; that is, it is without a place to belong.

Next is meaning, its what emerges from data . Being subjective, that is reflecting ones personal thoughts and outlooks, meaning is what the individual perceives the message to mean to them.

Next is information.When meaning emerges or has been assigned to data, it is able to be further organised and collected to become information. Information exists outside of the individual’s mind that is, it is recorded.
Information is knowledge externalized through recording by its owner.

An individual’s knowledge is the platform from which their world is viewed
Knowledge is individual to each person. It is an individual’s private and personal position. Knowledge is what people take to their graves.

Wisdom is knowledge practiced in positive and beneficial way. Knowledge in it highest form is wisdom, while knowledge and wisdom are on the same continuum wisdom, is superior. Weighted with the values and virtues of human endeavor, wisdom is knowledge applied to serve humanity in a positive and beneficial way. Compassion, thoughtfulness and mercy are some ways to practice wisdom.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
why would we want understaning and knowledge as soloman writes "thou who inreaseth knowledge increaseth sadness"

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The lessons learned from the boat building make the experience worth it. Otherwise, we are just tweaking a repetition -- an endless exercise in sanding, and sanding and sanding some more. We can buy expertise, but we cannot buy experience. All experiences are valid, and all have lessons. We learn, we grow.

Wisdom comes from looking back and reveling in the mistakes, the things that made us change.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Trams

Your post caused me to recognize:
"Hell, I don't want to become wise, I just want to keep on being stupid and have it somehow magically all work out allright at the end."
That seems very more American an attitude. And that way when they make a movie version out of your/my/someone's life, there's a lot more excitement up-and-downs and suspense in the plot.
I could go on but arguments for senselessness work better when they're short.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I think wisdom is an act.
Like knowing that if you are building a boat, and you go to drive in the nails. You know to keep your fingers out of the way. That is knowledge.
The wisdom comes in when you make sure that your thumb is out of the way. That is being wise.
If you know that the hammer will smash your finger, and dont keep it out of the way that is foolishness. The knowledge is still there.
Its all in how you use that knowledge that makes you wise.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad!

new topics

top topics

join