It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underground Base Project...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Me, a few friends, and cousins, want to build an underground base type of thing, enough to hold in between 10-20 people. The only problem is, I don't have any schematics, or a sketch on how to build one. And where would I get the supplies to dig a huge hole? Then i have to get permission from the city to dig the hole. Anyone know how I should build this??

Thanks...

[edit on 8/1/2008 by furiousracer313]

[edit on 8/1/2008 by furiousracer313]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by furiousracer313

I have a document of schematics of underground base construction like NORAD (no joke) floating around on my comp at home.

When I get home at night I'll try and upload it for ya.

-Jimmy

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
So let me get this straight, you, a few friends, and cousins what to build an underground base capable of housing 10 - 20 people and you don't even know how to dig a hole? I don't mean this as a personal attack but are you 14 years old or something? This wouldn't be like building a bird house in shop class.

I'm not trying to be an ass but, every year kids are killed because they built a snow fort and it collapsed on them and they suffocate to death. It would be the same thing with dirt. My advice is become a structural engineer before trying to take on something like this.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by deadboi

No im not 14 years old... Im actually turning 18 in 9 days... The only other way i see this being built, is if had the construction company my dad works for build it. The Owner and my dad are like brothers, i would just have to convince him to do it. But it would have to go through and be approved through the city, so I want to look at actual schematics...

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyjackblack

Ok send it please...

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   

In order to house 10 to 20 people even sparcely it would have to be very big. And i doubt you could just ask and it would be built. The material cost would be in the tens of thousands of dollars. Nobody is just going to fork out that kind of money.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Have you got any excavators or concrete trucks and umm alot of money?

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Why don't you hire a digger, buy a few old shipping containers or similar and bury them. All you have to do then is construct an entrance and join up the containers. And don't forget to get a pump to keep you dry and some ventilation.
Thats the cheapest way I can think to build an underground building of some strength.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by beefeater

And it would be alot cheaper that way.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Yes, shipping containers sell for about 2k (check ebay, I was surprised that they are sold and delivered locally in the midwest.) but I am sure the delivery cost is another few hundred but this is pennies compared to standard construction. Also, check with your city. In most cities you cannot be denied the ability to construct tornado and bomb shelters.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I would google( air raid shelter )a lot of folks built them and there should be plenty of plans on the net

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   

My initial reply was a little harsh and for that I apologize, but you do not seem to realize the scope and dangers of what you are proposing to do. By an underground base I'm assuming you mean some kind of bunker, to house 10 - 20 people, assuming for an extended period of time, you would require a lot of space. Seeing as you are talking about getting permission for the city I will also assume you are not living on some kind of acreage. You are looking at costs in the range of tens of thousands of dollars in materials and labor and even that will probably only get you a glorified root cellar.

Think about 10 - 20 people living together in a trailer, trust me it's not very pleasant, but lets assume it works out and nobodies going to get cabin fever or go stir crazy. Now think about trying to put that trailer underground. How deep do you want it? Probably more the just a layer of sod on the "roof" right? Remember your going to need a lot of concrete to reinforce the sides and the ceilings to account for the extra weight. Do you live where it freezes in the winter? Frost heaves in the soil will put even more stress on the structure.

That's not even scratching the surface, I'm not a structural engineer so I know very little of everything you will need to account for. Seasoned professionals build mine shafts and sometimes even they have structural problems or (god forbid) collapse, so a few young adults who don't even know what kind of equipment to use to dig a hole are biting off way more then they can chew and run a very good chance of serious injury or death.

Beefeaters idea is plausible, but again for 10 to 20 people to be somewhat comfortable your going to quite a few of those cargo containers and a very big hole. The bigger the hole the more things can go wrong.

Any structure that is entirely underground is incredibly dangerous. Flash floods, frost heaves, and even the structure settling could cause things to buckle, crack, or break which can cause the whole thing to cave in and in the case of a flood your structure is going to fill up with water fast. A malfunction in the ventilation system, and for 10 - 20 people your going to need a big system, could leave you all asphyxiated in your sleep, 10 - 20 people are going to use up a lot of air in no time.

I would highly recommend talking to you father and/or the owner of the construction company to get a better idea of the complexity and dangers involved in what you are proposing before you start digging up the backyard.

[edit on 2-8-2008 by deadboi]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Ark II bus based underground shelter

Heres the Ark II. Its made using busses that they cleared out and braced. Might be a cheap alternative.

You could research the fiberglass structures built by Radius Eng and get some similar (doubtfully the same quality)

Earthcoms are fiberglass arched shelters mounted on a concrete base buried and has hatches. YOu can purchase the hatches and generator housings too.

None of it will be cheap... for that you have to research the bunkers made by the japanese. some withstood the blasts in hiroshima and nagasaki. They were dug in dirt, supported by railroad ties an had some very intricate designs. Might wanna start with those. They can be done safely. Just do your research and build the structure BEFORE covering for dirt to eleviate the possibility of dirt death (yes i made that up... sounds good huh)

To expound a bit on what Deadboi has said... over 10 people will be almost unbearable. Imagine 15 people living in a studio apartment. Waste issues are the least of your concern! Especially if an actual nuclear blast and resultant radiation issues keep you confined for several months. I would plan on making MULTIPLE shelters in areas close enough to all parties that getting to them in times of need would be quick as possible. Less time exposed to the goings on topside the better. Use Ham radios to stay in contact. Retractable antennas (manual or automatic) would be easy to add. if even necessary (for longer distance communication)

Heres a link with several zip files with some plans. I havent looked at them yet but i would assume theyre viable.

www.geocities.com...

Again here is some more (with diagrams)
www.oism.org...

EDIT: to add content

[edit on 2-8-2008 by SHNIPE]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
10 to 20 is a huge number for an underground shelter.

My immediate thought was similar to the other person's about Shipping Containers and burying them. You could link the containers, and make huge complexes (its just it will take alot more to bury them the more spread out you put them.

So, probably the best bet would be to stack them wide on the bottom, with a few more on the top. If you can make a Cube of them, that would be even better.
Then you just cut holes and have ladders, or build stairs down to the other levels. You cut holes in the metal to make doors to adjacent units. It really could be a cheap shelter. Figure 9 of the containers to make a 3 x 3 cube, would only cost 18 thousand dollars. Good Luck getting any prefabe anywhere close.

The main problem would be deciding where to make the entrance, and how to get all the dirt to cover it with.

I personally am going to try and do something underground.

Old Missile Silos also make interesting bunkers, but can cost a load to make fit for living conditions.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Here's a website that has concrete block casting. Thought you might like it.

Casting Concrete Blocks

Concrete Block Making Machine

[edit on 2-8-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ThreeDeuce

Ive researched the local silos and most are in such disrepair that itd be much cheaper to have a custom manufactured fiberglass underground shelter brought in. Not ot mention that the silos that im aware of are all about 3 hours south of me. and are near current (rumored) missile sites so heading toward them is probably not the best bet since they are for sure likely targets.

One in Tucson was actually bought and built upon by a church (Not a scientology church haha) the silo was redone and built to look identical to what it would have during the cold war. They even have the Titan missle mocked up in it (no warhead or fuel unless theyre in on it)

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
If you could fix the silos yourself, and knew how to clean out asbestos and such, it would save you ton of money.

But, yes, you generally need a crew to clean the silos out. It seemed the best insulation and heat shields were quite dangerous materials.

I saw this guy that bought a ton of school buses, he used just the cabs and placed them back to back, and made a HUGE structure. It isn't wide but its long tunnels. Thank you public schools.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ThreeDeuce

If you could get your hands on an old missile silo i personally would not clean out the asbestos. For one most people don't realize they breath it every day, the hazard level required to cause harm is quite high. It's a naturally occuring mineral that is the best insulator known to man. The temperature required to burn it is 5000 degrees farenheit. Just coat it with the liquid foam insulation that hardens when sprayed. I work for a demolition company and am certified to handle asbestos so this isn't just speculation.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Everyone should stop, and read DeadBoi's post.

Putting forward ideas of shipping containers, stacked on eachother or linked...somehow, underground while still ignoring the obvious dangers and cautions.

Most importantly: They are not made to be put in a hole with a bunch of dirt on top of them; especially if you are cutting holes so they can be linked. Sit and think about everything that could go wrong with structurally compromised storage container buried underground...with you in it.

Do you know what the soil in your area is composed of? How about the type of rock? You don't want to dig three feet down and find that you live on a nice big slab of granite.

How about earthquakes. Do they happen in your area? Is there a history?

Does the soil drain water well, or does it collect and allow the area to become super-saturated quickly (or often)?

And so many more; just focussing on the structural integrity of the structure itself...what about supplies? Multiple means of escape? Camouflage for those exits, and enterances?

There are thousands and thousands of 'what-if' situations that need to be pondered before it should even be considered a real-life possibility.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by spines

If you use the containers build a concrete pad about three feet thick to place them on, then after you have everything built put a two foot layer of concrete around them. I wouldn't stack them up, to much risk of flooding lower levels, and too much weight on the bottom.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join