It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phoenix Lander Tastes Martian Water

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Phoenix Lander Tastes Martian Water

dsc.discovery.com

Aug. 1, 2008 -- The Phoenix spacecraft has tasted Martian water for the first time, scientists reported Thursday.

By melting icy soil in one of its lab instruments, the robot confirmed the presence of frozen water lurking below the Martian permafrost. Until now, evidence of ice in Mars' north pole region has been largely circumstantial.

In 2002, the orbiting Odyssey spacecraft spied what looked like a reservoir of buried ice. After Phoenix arrived, it found what looked like ice in a hard patch underneath its landing site and changes in a trench indicated some ice had turned to gas when exposed to the sun.

Scientists popped open champagne when they received confirmation Wednesday that the soil contained ice.

"We've now finally touched it and tasted it," William Boynton of the University of Arizona said during a news conference in Tucson on Thursday. "From my standpoint, it tastes very fine."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
First we find out Mars has got nutrient rich soil and now water. All right, it's now time to start developing a concrete plan to get us there...hopefully a civilian sponsored group will get there before NASA, so we can find out what is REALLY there...you know, go visit some of those "anomalous" areas of Mars.

dsc.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by no name needed

Good idea! That is what we need a private company charging money to go up there and have a look! I would definitely donate money to know the truth, goverments are too slow and not trustworthy. Besides if you look at the mystery figure on Mars picture you can not say it is a stone, it is definitely a living being wearing a dress. I'll post some more pictures of living beings on Mars that I have found.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Yeh I want to go there to.But the reality of it is different.Just because it has soil nutrients and water doesn't make it inhabitable.The radiation and winds.Temperatures.Many things would make it a miserable place to live.Worse than the moon.

top topics

join