What would you do if someone was beheaded in front of you?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
It's hard to say....I think part of the problem is that you are dealing with someone wielding a knife in a very tight awkward space. Your chances of getting slashed and seriously wounded are incredibly high, more so than if this had occurred in an open area. Ever try walking down a bus aisle without tripping over someone's feet or baggage? Imagine trying to move fast and accurately in that kind of confinement.....your odds of getting hurt are alot higher.......it all depends on how bad you want to survive. If I had a gun, yeah, I wouldn't have thought twice to pull it out and shoot him, knowing I had witnesses and would not go to jail.....but one-on-one combat in that tight space.....forget it.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Good answers...too often the citizen doesn't have a clear mandate, such as a Good Samaritan statute and can easily get wrapped up in the conflagration. Undercover cop on the bus, then no problem. In fact if one of the posters here had that additional legal protection I sense the indecision would be solved. It's not that we are afraid ourselves but fearful of the legal aftermath.

On a slightly different note, it doesn't hurt to be cautious. It's hard to know the big picture.

[edit on 1-8-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Simply put, there needs to be more Kung Fu Masters in the world.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I don't get it, this was discussed in the other thread and many people laid out a very clear and level headed reason why that situation was uncontrollable from the get go. A bus full of passengers can't exactly bum rush when the aisles are designed for single file and he was in the very back corner. The only advantageous position would be from behind. Pretty stupid to head straight into a fight bare handed against a man who has superior position and a long and sharp knife. All for what? To save a man that is allready dead?

I am certain that had anyone attempted this they too would be dead or seriously injured. And trust me I am the type of person that would try and protect someone were it even possible. I carry a good sized knife with all the time, it's always on me for situations like this. But this guy took too many deep cuts to the throat by the time people even knew what was happening.

You'd be a brave fool, I'll give you that. A dead brave fool.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I honestly don't get the point of this thread, its just the usual "well if i was there i would of done this" .... I bet the other people on that bus would of said the same until they saw it happen.

The first two of three stabs to the neck in the first couple of seconds would of been enough to kill the guy, the guy would of been beyond help before anyone even turned round.

I wish people would stop pushing their chests out and going "well i would of saved the guy, i would of stabbed the guy, i would of shot the guy, i would of wrestled the guy to the floor" Would you bollocks.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Symer

Same where i come from. Could not agree more !!! We are not even allowed to have a pepper spray. In other words: you have to ask the person to stay put while you ask for permission to call the police. And make sure no one is harmed... Once after a shop owner have had several visits from robbers he got himself a shotgun... Well, they attacked him first, he shot the one of them in panic and he was the one ending up in jail. The robbers sued him. Bastards

About the topic : KARMA
"A wise person does actions that are unpleasant to do but give good results and doesn’t do actions that are pleasant to do but give bad results"

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Liamoville

Do you really think it's so much bravado as much as an attempt to cope with truly bizarre circumstances...maybe there's some sense of relief to be found, even some comradery?

The point made earlier by one astute member that if they had started after another person, the group reaction would have kicked in and started a wave of resistance.

When tough situations like this come up, talk it out?

2 cents.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Thats the danger, you might go "right i'm not going to let this happen" and go marching in thinking other people will follow you, and then you turn round an they've all ran. So what happens? You get stabbed and the guy has a head in each hand.

I'm usually the first one to step in if somethings happening, but i'm not willing to be the dead bloke on the news headlined, "second man beheaded trying to help".

Sometimes you have to assess the situation and see whether its actually worth trying to prevent it. Like i said the first 2 or 3 stab wounds to the neck would of been enough to kill him, by the time you turn round the guy is motionless being stabbed over and over again, is it worth possibly been killed to try and help a dead guy?

If someones kicking sven bells out of guy on the bus, its different, you'd step in regardless, because after acouple of seconds, not much damage would of been inflicted and you can quite easily stop anymore damage to the victim.

[edit on 1/8/08 by Liamoville]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Liamoville

Myself, I do have a contingency plan of sorts.

In a word - tactical flashlight, with blinding 3 watt LED.

You used to have to pay 50-80 bucks for a Surefire, but now you can get pretty good lower cost lights.

Tough for anyone to charge you for anything like they might if you sprayed a perp - it's just light.

Obviously you have to act quickly in the time you have when the perp is blinded or distracted. I have one light that you can't even use on an object, because the light is so bright the reflection is dazzling.

(Actually it's a good first line of defense while you get the draw on him.)

Just a thought. YMMV, don't try this at home...on your significant other.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
1) I would not of tackled the guy. I would of got every one off the bus and away. The second that throat was cut open, there would be nothing a 'field responder' could of done. It would of needed full trauma support, intubation via trachea route (below wound site so it could be worked on) you would need to clamp off the severed arteries and veins, and if you did all that he would have no blood supply to the brain...

The minute, no the very second his carotid and jugulars were cut, in that situation he was a dead man. Two things occur within the first ten seconds.

A) Massive amounts of blood enters the lungs. One tea spoon full of fluid is enough to start drowning on. B) An air embolism would of been an almost certain byproduct of the assault. The victim was sat upright so blood comes down and air goes up (Thats a gross simplification but its what would happen). However, it takes seven seconds for the head to 'empty' of its blood oxygen supply, seems quick, but seven seconds is still an eternity when under assault. However, it all depends on how soon the spinal coloumn was severed as well. had it been the last to go, this poor man would of had full body sensation for his final moments of life.

[edit on 1-8-2008 by Dan Tanna]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I would pump 12 rounds into the attacker. Then reload and pump 12 more into his head. My trauma would cover the extra 12 rounds in court.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Sheeper

This is the most intelligently-laid out description of the scene I've seen yet in this thread.

And PS to TXSwhateveryournameis .. most people don't carry concealed weapons in Canada unless they're a criminal, a martial artist, or a psycho.... hence the freak with the knife...

And PPS.. I believe the fire extiguisher is found behind the driver's seat.. on the other side of the mass of people running down the aisle..

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Not everyone is cut out or even capable of being a hero and stopping a knife wielding attacker.

For me it would really depend the whole situation and how big and strong the guy was & how awake and capable I was feeling at the time. Usually when I ride a bus I get sleepy and if I was asleep when the commotion began I doubt I'd jump right in to attempt to save a complete male stranger. Now a woman or a child I might be more likely to take more risks or possibly die for them and jump right in the battle.

I've pulled a couple different men on two occasions out of the ocean and saved their lives when I was just having fun at the beach because I was there at the right time & I could. I would not have died for them - I kept my distance to keep them from pulling me under.

Remember many people allowed hijackers with box knives to drive their planes into buildings.

[edit on 1-8-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread377399/pg1#pid4726499]post by Vasa Croe[/url]

I kind of feel the way you do my friend, I would probably be one to try and stop this, and end up stabbed. However I am not sure how you could have taken him down without getting cut up too. I know where your coming from though, after seeing how so many people these days that just dont give a damned. If there not just looking or laughing there taking pictures. But I am not sure if there was a lot that could have been done in this particular case, without alot of other people being killed or hurt.

[edit on 1-8-2008 by want2believe]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
The guy was sleeping in his seat when he was first attacked. He would have been sitting either upright or leaning against the _ If he was slumped over just a bit, that would ensure very fast blood drain upon being cut. Assuming the perp cut the jugular vein first (I'm not even sure who said jugular; he might not have been cut there at all), all of his blood would be drained within a maximum of 3 minutes. There would be a high probability he die of an infarction just 1 minute and 30 seconds in due to lack of circulation.

He couldn't have anticipated the attack because he was sleeping. Also, no one on the bus could have anticipated it either. According to a witness, "there was no rage or anything. He was like a robot, stabbing the guy." If the cut to the jugular was the very first action, someone would have to actually recognize the victim was being stabbed quick enough (apparently the killer was silent and meticulous about it), subdue the perpetrator immediately, stop the bus and then call paramedics within a minute.

CNN reported that a most of the passengers were either crying and vomiting. It was very traumatic, especially since the perp quickly proceeded to cut off the guy's head.

Trauma, shock and confusion all contributed to the passengers' fearing for their own lives primarily. Anyone that was conscious enough to weigh the odds of fighting off this man would have to be immune to the sight of mutilation and respond without much emotion, so as to not risk other passengers' lives.

It would be one thing to consciously respond to the situation, but to be heroic enough to actually intervene would require someone of staunch demeanor.

[edit on 1-8-2008 by cognoscente]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency

Yes I agree, these people got on the bus at midnight the day before, so I don't realy think most of them would even have been awake and had no chance to react.

If some wacko wakes you up swinging a knife around, most likely your running to save yourself first, then after assessing the situation you would react. Which seems to be what happened from reports I have seen (the bus came from the city I live in and the news is swamped with reports), with the people going back on the bus after everyone else was safe.

It's easy to say what "I" would have done after the fact, but only those that were there can say what it truely was like. Let's not judge until we all can say "been there, done that ". The general public is not combat trained.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The reality of this bus situation is:

1. By the time everyone realized what was happening to that kid, it was ALREADY TOO LATE
  2. Nobody survives a dozen Rambo knife cuts to the neck. Nobody.
  3. If you tried to go AGAINST the flow people trying to exit the bus, you create a traffic jam. RESULT: people (woman & children) get knifed by murder.
  4. Best choice, get EVERYONE off the bus as quick as possible.
  5. You are NOT Chuck Norris.
  6. Unless you were sitting behind the murder, and you were armed with a handgun, you could have done nothing for that kid.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
It's come to this...

bus drivers should be packing...

trains should have a marshal on board and the engineer should also be armed...

this is how things are today...

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
sheesh, even if you were an expert in martial arts like jet lee or jackie chan, in this scenario the best move is to hightail it outta there; unless you were packing.

This news had me really worried when it 1st broke

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join