It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What have you Dehydrated Today?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Hi ThreeDeuce,

Thanks for that link, I have bookmarked it as there is a lot of good information in there. Kinda surprised I haven’t run into it already… love finding good websites like that. The tinned butter looks pretty good in the photo. Last issue (or maybe one or two before it) of Backwoods Home had mention of powdered butter and cheese, oh yes and tomato sauce I believe , that came in great giant cans… there was a photo of the powder and of the reconstituted product. Well it all looked pretty good in the photo and received good reviews in the article so I am pretty curious about this stuff. Have you any experience with this?

This year I have done a little bit of ‘convenience’ canning… I put up quart jars of venison meatballs, half in tomato sauce and half in broth and should be trying them soon. They look good on the shelf and am pretty pleased with the experiment so far, though the passing the taste test will tell the tale. Anyway I am now eager to get a lot of that deer out of the freezers and into jars… but I falter at the thought of doing any more canning in this heat (from TX too here). Maybe in a few more weeks. I would like to put up a lot of chili and stews at least. I would just feel better having a lot of it in jars already in case we have a long power outage… or at least just to save on some electricity..

Have you done up any red-meat type jerky? I thought the ham and pineapple sounded delish..

Thanks,

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
1080, I have done red meat jerky in the past. It works great with a dehydrator. The best red meat jerky that I made, I had ground up a ton of meat pretty finely with my KitchenAid Mixer, then I seasoned it, and used this caulk-gun like thing that makes squirts it out into rectangular bars. I like it this method because they came out very tender. I'll be doing whole pieces for jerky (because I think unground will be better for meals) once I get some extra money laying around. I'll probably make some jerky out of brisket when it goes cheap again.

As for the powdered cheese and butter, I haven't tried the powdered butter, but I have butter flavored powder which I put into my mashed potatoes mix. I have used powdered cheese alot (we buy it in big containers from Sam's club). I am thinking of the normal orange colored cheese. Its okay, but it just gets old after a while. But, I will be using some of the powdered cheese for sure. Are there better powdered cheese that you read about? If so, I'm very interested.

As for normal tomato sauce powder, I'm just going to be dehydrating tomato sauce and tomato paste. I find these canned to be not expensive like the powder.

The pineapple that I used for the ham rollups was actually from the core of the pineapple. Although I wouldn't have wanted to eat it raw, I sliced it thin and it dried up nicely. I find that dehydrating the excess foods, that I can use more that I normally throw away. I save cilantro stalks dried for cilantro powder, green onion heads for onion powder, and pineapple core is a tasty flavor enhancer.

I guess I just like experimenting with the food dehydrator. It costs me absolutely nothing to run all day (because my electricity is paid for). If I was paying electric at this time, I would probably only dehydrate the items that I was most needing, because I would think bills would get sort of high.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
No, the powdered cheese was the orange stuff all right. I looked around quite a bit but can't find much variety in powdered cheese. I guess there's a reason for that. I did see blue cheese powder but it's very expensive. Not a fan of blue cheese myself, anyway.

Thanks for the info on the jerky.
I love the fact that you are wasting less food when you dry it. If you don't mind my asking, how are you storing your dehydrated foods?

Thanks,

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Right now, I'm storing all of the foods in the refrigerator.
I don't know if this is the best storage location, because there is moisture in fridges.

Also, I'm just keeping them in ziploc bags. Some, I have kept in super cheap bags, and they don't stay airtight as well. But, I've noticed that the double zipper brand name bags hold an airtight seal better.

So, I just keep them in ziploc bags in the bottom of my fridge. Space in the fridge isn't an issue for me, as I live alone. I want to store some in the pantry to see how it keeps, I just haven't done that yet.

BTW, I dehydrated a can of pork and beans today, and it came out great!
I also did banana chips. They seem to be taking too long to firm up, as maybe I cut the slices too thick.

I also had a snafu with potatoes. I sliced some real thin, and threw it on the dehydrator. That didn't work. They turned black/purple color. According to some website, you have to blanch the potatoes, then dip them in a light lemon mixture.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
this has sparked new interest. ill try to get my hands on a dehydrator.and check out my dehydrating abilities...

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
not that one would need to dehydrate it, but it is commonly bought as a dehydrated food product...
everyone ought to have seaweed. it is FULL of vitamins, antioxodents. it is light, cheap, tasteless, and can be crumbled on anything. large packages can be bought at asian food stores everywhere, super cheap.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Check out Efoodsdirect.com! They have #10 cans and other dehydrated options... Looked interesting.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Thats so expensive digiwiz. I've found that I can produce similar items for a fraction of the cost if I do it myself.

But, there are some good dehydrated food that you can buy, like potato flakes and dehydrated milk. Most stuff in #10 cans, I find too expensive.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Anyone still dehydrating? Haven't used mine in awhile and just cleaned everything up and have it it running for an hour to be sure it still works before starting up again .. I have a foodsaver and will be storing most things in either bags or mason jars sealed using the foodsaver ..

top topics

<< 1   >>

join