It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could you recommend me some books?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I am interested in majoring in journalism when I go to college. Could you recommend me some books about like how political forces are at play with journalism, and with how the CIA does in fact manipulate journalism from time to time? Journalism has always been something I've wanted to do, but, I was reading a book earlier that was about conspiracy theories and it was about how a lot of the news at the time of Vietnam wasn't real news it was just propaganda. I want to read up more about that sort of thing. I'm wondering what books I should read that are related to this subject area that would be of relevance of that issue.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Manufacturing consent : the political economicy of the mass media
by Edward Herman and Noam Chomsky. Almost tailored written for your interests.

[edit on 8/1/2008 by Toromos]

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Anything by John Taylor Gatto may help. While not dealing specifically with journalism, his books involve the education system and are very eye opening.

Try:

Dumbing Us Down

The Underground History of American Education can be read from his website.
www.johntaylorgatto.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime if you haven't read it already. It talks about the news and how it covered the 2008 presidential election. It also discusses how some of the politicians tried to feed stories to the media in order to destroy their opposition. Very interesting and enlightening.

top topics

join